While the search continues for the Fountain of Youth, researchers may have found the body’s “fountain of aging”: the brain region known as the hypothalamus.
For the first time, scientists at Albert Einstein College of Medicine of Yeshiva University report that the hypothalamus of mice controls aging throughout the body. Their discovery of a specific age-related signaling pathway opens up new strategies for combating diseases of old age and extending lifespan. The paper was published today in the online edition of Nature.
“Scientists have long wondered whether aging occurs independently in the body’s various tissues or if it could be actively regulated by an organ in the body,” said senior author Dongsheng Cai, M.D., Ph.D., professor of molecular pharmacology at Einstein. “It’s clear from our study that many aspects of aging are controlled by the hypothalamus. What’s exciting is that it’s possible — at least in mice — to alter signaling within the hypothalamus to slow down the aging process and increase longevity.”
The hypothalamus, an almond-sized structure located deep within the brain, is known to have fundamental roles in growth, development, reproduction, and metabolism. Dr. Cai suspected that the hypothalamus might also play a key role in aging through the influence it exerts throughout the body.
“As people age,” he said, “you can detect inflammatory changes in various tissues. Inflammation is also involved in various age-related diseases, such as metabolic syndrome, cardiovascular disease, neurological disease and many types of cancer.” Over the past several years, Dr. Cai and his research colleagues showed that inflammatory changes in the hypothalamus can give rise to various components of metabolic syndrome (a combination of health problems that can lead to heart disease and diabetes).
To find out how the hypothalamus might affect aging, Dr. Cai decided to study hypothalamic inflammation by focusing on a protein complex called NF-?B (nuclear factor kappa-light-chain-enhancer of activated B cells). “Inflammation involves hundreds of molecules, and NF-?B sits right at the center of that regulatory map,” he said.
In the current study, Dr. Cai and his team demonstrated that activating the NF-?B pathway in the hypothalamus of mice significantly accelerated the development of aging, as shown by various physiological, cognitive, and behavioral tests. “The mice showed a decrease in muscle strength and size, in skin thickness, and in their ability to learn — all indicators of aging. Activating this pathway promoted systemic aging that shortened the lifespan,” he said.
Conversely, Dr. Cai and his group found that blocking the NF-?B pathway in the hypothalamus of mouse brains slowed aging and increased median longevity by about 20 percent, compared to controls.
The Latest Bing News on:
Key to Aging
- Age key to Northerly success?on December 7, 2023 at 7:24 pm
Zaaki, on the other hand, will become the oldest Northerly Stakes winner in the 48-year history of the race if he wins on Saturday. Two seven-year-olds have won it — Niconero in 2008 and Moriarty in ...
- Anti-Aging Products Services and Devices Industry to Flourish at 5.5% CAGR, Projected US$ 109.8 Billion by 2033 | FMIon December 7, 2023 at 4:00 pm
While aging is a natural physiological process ... moisturizer and dermal fillers reducing wrinkle lines among women. Another key factor responsible for growing revenues in the anti-ageing market is ...
- Age Actively, Live Happily: Cambridge Study Finds Key to Better Quality of Life in Seniorson December 7, 2023 at 3:05 am
A study conducted by the University of Cambridge involving nearly 1,500 adults over 60 years old demonstrates a significant correlation between decreased physical activity and a lower quality of life.
- Exercise May Not Be Key To Longevity, Research Says It Could Accelerate Aging Insteadon December 7, 2023 at 1:19 am
The research challenges the commonly held belief supported by multiple studies that increased exercise correlates with longer and healthier lives.
- Exercise may not be the key to living longer — it might even be aging you fasteron December 6, 2023 at 5:37 pm
Multiple studies have previously confirmed that those who exercise more live longer and healthier lives. This time however, researchers at the University of Jyvaskyla found that physical activity ...
- Why breathwork could be key to your wellbeingon December 5, 2023 at 10:23 pm
Yet it seems that this instinctive ability to take our best breaths decreases as we age, and high-pressure careers, emotional turmoil, poor posture and restrictive clothing (yes, really) all take ...
- Alicia Keys bringing ‘Hell’s Kitchen’ musical to Broadway next springon December 5, 2023 at 12:43 pm
Alicia Keys is ready to bring her critically acclaimed, coming-of-age story to Broadway next spring, fresh off its sold-out run downtown. The 15-time Grammy Award-winning artist could have a Tony in ...
- What's the best diet to support healthy aging? Dietitian weighs in on key nutrientson December 5, 2023 at 11:51 am
Good nutrition plays a key role in reducing the risk of chronic diseases and maintaining overall well-being — especially in later stages of life. But, what exactly should we be eating to promote ...
- 'The key for me is portion size': Proper nutrition plays a role in healthy agingon December 5, 2023 at 2:00 am
It turns out that nutrition is one of the keys to longevity, as discovered by National Geographic Fellow Dan Buettner. He studied older adults in communities around the world, where they lived on ...
- Killing 'Zombie' Cells Emerges As Key to Reversing Covid-Induced Brain Agingon November 24, 2023 at 8:09 pm
Scientists at the University of Queensland have made a significant breakthrough in their research on Covid-19's impact on brain health. Using synthetic brain organoid models grown in a laboratory ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
Key to Aging
[google_news title=”” keyword=”Key to Aging” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
The Latest Bing News on:
Fountain of aging
- Dermatologists reveal the Botox-alternative anti-aging beauty products that will make you look YEARS younger WITHOUT the need for pricey injections or surgeryon December 7, 2023 at 7:46 am
Multiple dermatologists have revealed the best Botox-alternative beauty products and ingredients to FEMAIL that don't require evasive surgery, with one being dubbed 'Botox in a bottle.' ...
- The tech billionaires trying to hack longevity and live foreveron December 7, 2023 at 12:18 am
BI rounded up a list of 13 entrepreneurs actively seeking the fountain of youth. When they're not launching ... and Sam Altman — are investing in companies trying to reverse aging at the cellular ...
- Living in "green" areas acts as an anti-aging fountain-of-youthon December 2, 2023 at 12:20 pm
A study reveals that exposure to green spaces, such as parks and trees, can significantly slow down the rate of cellular aging.
- A dog fountain of youth? New anti-aging drug could be coming to a vet near you.on November 30, 2023 at 5:47 am
A preliminary study of the drug shows it might blunt metabolic changes associated with aging by reducing the levels of the growth-promoting hormone IGF-1 in adult dogs. Large dogs have up to 28 times ...
- Lululemon founder, Saudi crown prince to help fund $101-million prize for anti-aging researchon November 29, 2023 at 11:28 am
The XPrize Foundation, a non-profit that funds scientific research, said it will award US$101 million to anti-aging research, a topic that is often dismissed as a quixotic quest for the Fountain of ...
- Popular Anti-Aging Hormone Supplementson November 27, 2023 at 4:00 pm
DHEA is a hormone made by the body that decreases naturally with age. Anti-aging doctors claim that DHEA supplementation can reduce the effects of aging. The claim includes that DHEA supplements can ...
- "The Closest We've Gotten to the Fountain of Youth": Market America's Revolutionary Anti-Aging Nutraceutical NAD+ on SHOP.COM!on November 20, 2023 at 9:50 pm
Finally, aging with grace is more than an expression. With NAD+, it's a reality. "NAD+ is the closest we've gotten to a fountain of youth," says David Sinclair, co-director of the Paul F. Glenn Center ...
- Unlocking the Fountain of Youth: Stem Cell Exosome Anti-Aging Treatmentson October 4, 2023 at 6:20 pm
Discover the potential of stem cell exosome anti-aging treatments and whether they are the right choice for you. Learn about the science behind these therapies and their benefits. In an age where the ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
Fountain of aging
[google_news title=”” keyword=”fountain of aging” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]