This quadrotor uses a nature-inspired, dry adhesive to cling to surfaces for extra-covert spying.
This drone could become the proverbial fly on the wall. Thanks to a joint research project between the University of Maryland’s Autonomous Vehicle Laboratory and Stanford‘s Biomimetics and Dexterous Manipulation Lab, there is now a quadrotor that can cling to walls and land on ceilings.
Making a drone that sticks to ceilings like a fly is an example of biomimicry, in which researchers try to imitate natural abilities in artificial machines. We’ve seen biomimicry in quadrotors before, when the University of Pennsylvania made an eagle-inspired claw for a drone. Standford’s Biomimetics lab has already made a gecko-like robot that climbs glass surfaces, and this quadrotor borrows the same adhesive.
Andrew Kehlenbeck, a research assistant at the University of Maryland, says the gecko-inspired, dry adhesive “can detach instantly on-command and will eventually allow vehicles to perch and take-off at will on a wide variety of surfaces.”
The Latest Bing News on:
- Drones in the Air: Quadcopter Emergency Backup Controlon January 14, 2021 at 12:23 pm
Drones with four propellers lose stability when a motor fails. Adding a set of event cameras can restore stability.
- How to keep drones flying when a motor failson January 13, 2021 at 3:39 pm
The research team developed algorithms that combine information from the two sensors and use it to track the quadrotor's position relative to its surroundings. This enables the onboard computer to ...
- How to keep drones flying when a motor failson January 13, 2021 at 7:58 am
Robotics researchers at the University of Zurich show how onboard cameras can be used to keep damaged quadcopters in the air and flying stably -- even without GPS.
- Weaponized Quadrotor Upgradeson January 12, 2021 at 3:59 pm
What’s the craziest thing you could strap to a quadrotor? Rockets? Lasers? Turns out… they’ve both been done already. First up is [Ramicaza’s] firework launching quadrotor. The drone is ...
- Chocolate Quadrotor Proves You Can Make Anything Flyon January 10, 2021 at 4:00 pm
With the advancements in quadrotor parts and technology over the years, it’s become possible to make just about anything fly if you can strap some high-speed rotors to it. Introducing the first ...
- Invention may get Army quadcopters to move fasteron December 16, 2020 at 9:25 am
“Every second less that it takes a quadrotor to get where it's going is a second less that an enemy can target it, and a second less that a Soldier has to wait for it to deliver supplies and ...
- Invention may get Army quadcopters to move fasteron December 16, 2020 at 7:16 am
Reddinger invented a hinge at the root of the quadrotor blade next to the hub. He situated it so that the blade pitch changes with rotor speed. As quadrotors and similar aircraft are scaled up ...
- Army Looks to Improve Quadrotor Drone Performanceon December 9, 2020 at 7:24 am
When an aircraft veers upwards too much, the decrease in lift and increase in drag may cause the vehicle to suddenly plummet. Known as a stall, this phenomenon has prompted many drone manufacturers to ...
- Improving quadrotor drone performanceon December 8, 2020 at 12:34 pm
The team designed the trajectory planner specifically for the Army's Common Research Configuration platform, a quadrotor biplane tail-sitter used to test new design features and study fundamental ...
- COMP_SCI 410: Quadrotor Design and Controlon August 1, 2020 at 5:19 pm
Centered around a project where teams (1 to 2 students per team) create and program a visually-guided autonomous quadrotor robot, this class focuses on advanced embedded control of an ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- Marlboro Company Granted Approval To Operate Fully Automated Commercial Drone Flightson January 15, 2021 at 11:15 pm
WASHINGTON (AP) — A Massachusetts company has been granted approval to operate commercial drone flights without a person directing the machine and keeping it in sight. It’s the first time that ...
- China plays rainmaker with modified drone flightson January 15, 2021 at 10:09 pm
While most countries have backed away from weather modification, China has embraced the concept and is stepping up efforts to create rain on demand. The China Meteorological Administration’s first ...
- FAA approves fully automated commercial drone flightson January 15, 2021 at 9:47 pm
American Robotics has been granted approval to operate commercial drone flights without a person directing the machine and keeping it in sight. It's the first time that the Federal Aviation ...
- FAA Authorizes First Commercial Smart Drone Flightson January 15, 2021 at 9:33 pm
The Federal Aviation Administration greenlit American Robotics this week to become the first company to operate smart drones without needing on-site pilots or spotters, the company announced Friday.
- FAA approves first fully-automated commercial drone flightson January 15, 2021 at 8:17 pm
The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) this week approved the first fully-automated commercial drone flights, giving a small firm the green light to operate drones without direct supervision by ...
- Man pleads guilty after drone hits LAPD helicopteron January 15, 2021 at 6:58 pm
A Hollywood man has pleaded guilty to unsafely operating a drone that hit a Los Angeles police helicopter, forcing it to make an emergency landing.
- The FAA just greenlit this drone to fly autonomously without a human nearbyon January 15, 2021 at 5:54 pm
American Robotics says it’s become the first company allowed to operate drones without needing a human pilot or an observer anywhere near the aircraft. It’s not quite as big a deal as you’d expect ...
- Did China Copy a Reaper Drone and Arm It With an Anti-Ship Missile?on January 15, 2021 at 5:14 pm
It looks like Beijing has continued its long policy of stealing, and then making changes to, American military systems.
- Man Pleads Guilty After Drone Hits LAPD Helicopter in First-of-Its-Kind Criminal Chargeon January 15, 2021 at 9:11 am
A Hollywood man pleaded guilty Thursday to unsafely operating a drone that hit a Los Angeles police helicopter and forced it to make an emergency landing.
- Man pleads guilty after drone hits LAPD helicopter, conviction 1st of its kindon January 15, 2021 at 5:45 am
No one was injured in the September collision, but it's thought to be the first criminal conviction for unsafely using a drone.