This quadrotor uses a nature-inspired, dry adhesive to cling to surfaces for extra-covert spying.
This drone could become the proverbial fly on the wall. Thanks to a joint research project between the University of Maryland’s Autonomous Vehicle Laboratory and Stanford‘s Biomimetics and Dexterous Manipulation Lab, there is now a quadrotor that can cling to walls and land on ceilings.
Making a drone that sticks to ceilings like a fly is an example of biomimicry, in which researchers try to imitate natural abilities in artificial machines. We’ve seen biomimicry in quadrotors before, when the University of Pennsylvania made an eagle-inspired claw for a drone. Standford’s Biomimetics lab has already made a gecko-like robot that climbs glass surfaces, and this quadrotor borrows the same adhesive.
Andrew Kehlenbeck, a research assistant at the University of Maryland, says the gecko-inspired, dry adhesive “can detach instantly on-command and will eventually allow vehicles to perch and take-off at will on a wide variety of surfaces.”
The Latest Bing News on:
- Open-Source Firmware For A Mini Quadrotoron May 12, 2021 at 5:00 pm
Since you’re going to have to be flying your “drones” indoors anyway in the USA, at least in the US Capitol region, you might as well celebrate the one freedom you still have — the freedom ...
- Chocolate Quadrotor Proves You Can Make Anything Flyon May 11, 2021 at 5:01 pm
With the advancements in quadrotor parts and technology over the years, it’s become possible to make just about anything fly if you can strap some high-speed rotors to it. Introducing the first ...
- The Importance of UAVson May 5, 2021 at 5:00 pm
The picture below shows a Stanford University quadrotor UAV with autonomous attitude and altitude control. As a Brigham Young research team wrote in a 2013 paper on quadrotors: Their small size and ...
- US military report highlights security fears behind ban on DJI droneson April 21, 2021 at 5:01 pm
DJI sells about 70% of the world’s civilian quadrotor drones. Instead of using the DJI cameras for reconnaissance, the US military mostly employed them to develop their defences against drones.
- EHang Holdings Ltd (EH) CEO Huazhi Hu on Q4 2020 Results - Earnings Call Transcripton April 16, 2021 at 10:46 am
After a considerable period of time of demonstration and exploration, we did not choose the quadrotor rotor design. No matter multi rotor or quadrotor cannot have a full redundancy capability in ...
- Drones learn to observe environment and steer clearon April 14, 2021 at 5:00 pm
The unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) took the form of a quadrotor (four-rotor) copter, and did the job ... mostly — but Wallich admitted to having troubles with getting the UAV to power through ...
- MECH_ENG 410: Mechatronics with quadrotor projecton June 29, 2020 at 12:24 pm
Centered around a project where teams (1 to 2 students per team) create and program a visually-guided autonomous quadrotor robot, this class focuses on advanced embedded control of an ...
- Flying robot swarms the future of search and rescueon December 21, 2019 at 4:12 am
but the researchers behind the University of Pennsylvania's Quadrotor robot program say their intent is serious. The autonomous flying robots are being designed to one day take part in search and ...
- A “Flying Saucer” Design Lets Drones Fly Twice as Longon July 16, 2019 at 12:40 pm
A new type of flying saucer drone uses half the power of a typical quadrotor design, allowing it to stay in the air for twice as long. Taking away propellers to increase battery life usually means ...
- Russia Built a Battering Ram Drone to Knock Drones out of the Skyon April 24, 2019 at 7:24 am
Russia just displayed a new battering ram-inspired drone designed to take out hostile quadrotor drones. The drone, which C4ISRNET describes as reminiscent of a cardboard toy rocket, flies up and ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- Drone shows damage of Gaza rockets fired toward Israelon May 16, 2021 at 7:13 am
The Israeli military says Hamas and other armed groups have fired more than 2,800 rockets from Gaza in six days.Many of the rockets have been intercepted by Israeli anti-missile systems, while some ...
- Skyborg combat drone's "brain" flies for the first timeon May 15, 2021 at 10:48 pm
The US Air Force has flight tested the Skyborg combat drone's Autonomy Core System (ACS) for the first time. The "brain" of the autonomous Skyborg was installed in a Kratos UTAP-22 tactical uncrewed ...
- Middle- and high-schoolers practice drone skills with robotics competitionon May 15, 2021 at 9:00 pm
In conjunction with the Robert C. Byrd Institute, the Robotics Education Competition Foundation hosted the Aerial Drone Competition for students in grades six through 12 to test their skills with ...
- Drone Footage Captures Rare Moment of Endangered North Atlantic Right Whales 'Hugging'on May 14, 2021 at 1:36 pm
Researchers spotted the critically endangered North Atlantic right whales on a recent trip to Cape Cod Bay, Massachusetts.
- An Air Force artificial intelligence program flew a drone fighter for hourson May 14, 2021 at 12:14 pm
Skyborg is an artificial intelligence system designed to pilot fighter-jet-style drones that can act as robotic wingmen in the sky.
- Canada's Largest Aviation Association Introduces Drone Membership Options - Bridging Gap between Traditional and Remote Aviationon May 14, 2021 at 12:00 pm
CNW/ - The Canadian Owners and Pilots Association (COPA) - the largest aviation association in Canada - introduces new ...
- Simi Valley company that built Mars drone Ingenuity shows off its twin here on Earthon May 14, 2021 at 1:18 am
Officially named Aerovironment’s Earth Copter — and affectionately dubbed Teri, as in terrestrial — the drone is essentially the same as Ingenuity with some minor differences.
- Watch this incredible drone fly-through of Man City’s Etihad Stadiumon May 13, 2021 at 10:40 pm
Recently crowned Premier League champion Manchester City has just posted some incredible footage of a drone zipping through its soccer stadium.
- A drone gets the attention of policeon May 13, 2021 at 2:08 pm
A person gets trapped inside a tennis court, a woman calls 911 because she can't find her keys, and other odd tales from local police blotters.
- Kroger Launches a Drone Pilot: Why RE Investors Should Careon May 13, 2021 at 1:46 pm
Groceries, at the heart of one of our most basic business models -- need food, buy food, eat food -- don’t seem like the first place to watch a high-tech battle of the behemoths, but that’s what’s ...