Meet Romo, a simple toy with a hidden agenda: Get people used to robots in their house, and get kids excited about programming.
Robots are all around: they’re serving coffee, cleaning floors, even fighting crime. In fact, The International Federation of Robotics reports that worldwide sales of robots topped $8.5 billion in 2011, totaling an estimated 166,028 robots sold.
There’s a new bot and you likely have his brain in your pocket. His name is Romo and he was created by a Las Vegas-based startup called Romotive. Romo uses the computing power of iOS devices as his brain.
“We’re bringing robotics out of the research lab and into people’s homes,” explains Adam Setapen, Roboticist for Romotive.
Romo has been outfitted with an easy to program interface that uses if-then dependencies (i.e. “if I clap my hands then Romo will smile”). Its creators hope that this simple programing model will inspire a new, younger generation of engineers and programmers who can help solve some of the world’s technical problems in areas like healthcare and disaster relief.
“Robotics is the natural intersection of code and the real world,” says Keller Rinaudo, founder and CEO of the company.
The Latest Bing News on:
- The best AI and robot movies of all timeon March 8, 2021 at 7:42 am
A female robot poses as human to control people ... 2001: A Space Odyssey' (1968) Stanley Kubrick's classic not only predicted the future, but it also highlighted the dangers of AI with the computer ...
- Valet Robot Market New Industry Research on Present State & Future Growth and Analysis Prospects to 2027on March 8, 2021 at 7:05 am
This report focuses on the global Valet Robot Market with the future forecast growth opportunity key market and key players The study objectives are to present the Valet Robot market development in ...
- Refraction AI Raises $4.2 Million to Accelerate Reliable, Affordable, Sustainable Last-Mile Robot Delivery for the Masseson March 8, 2021 at 6:14 am
Refraction AI, the robotics startup and creator of the REV-1, a low-cost, lightweight autonomous delivery robot, today announced $4.2 million in new seed funding led by Pillar VC [Pillar VC __title__ ...
- Women And Technology: A Major Challenge For The Future Of Workon March 8, 2021 at 6:00 am
The technology sector is booming, but there are still invisible barriers and glass ceilings which discourage women from studying STEM fields and hinder gender equality in the industry. The scant ...
- Asia Pacific Microsurgery Robot Market Size 2021 | Industry Share, Trends, Growth Insights by Top Key Vendors and Forecast to 2027on March 8, 2021 at 5:01 am
Graphical Research newly added the Asia Pacific microsurgery robot market report that gives meticulous investigation of current scenario of the market size, share, demand, growth, trends, and forecast ...
- Ann Arbor-based robotics delivery company hauls in $4.2 million in new VC fundingon March 8, 2021 at 4:00 am
Ann Arbor-based robotics company Refraction AI Inc. has closed on $4.2 million in venture capital funding that it plans to use to further customer acquisition, geographic expansion and product ...
- Autonomous Delivery Robots Are Now 'Pedestrians' in Pennsylvaniaon March 7, 2021 at 1:00 pm
Look out for your future robot overlords in the crosswalk. There are now a dozen states where robots have the right to operate on public roads.
- Caring Patient Robot Market 2021 by Future Developments, Upcoming Trends, Growth Drivers and Challenges 2022 to 2031on March 6, 2021 at 6:06 pm
A recent systematic review report on “Caring Patient Robot Market 2021 Significant Trends, Growth Rate, Opportunities and Covid-19 Impact Analysis 2031 | Changing the Face of Manufacturing and ...
- Robust robotic systems blaze path for future human space explorationon March 4, 2021 at 1:43 pm
With global dust storms, extreme temperature fluctuations, and cosmic radiation to boot, life beyond our planet's comparatively cozy confines is no picnic.
- A trusty robot to carry farms into the futureon February 23, 2021 at 7:40 am
To feed 10 billion by 2050, the world’s farmers will need to increase food production by up to 70%. Bring in the robots.
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
Robots in homes
- The best budget robot vacuums you can buyon March 8, 2021 at 5:39 am
But unlike just a few years ago, today there are plenty of budget robot vacuum options to choose from. At Engadget, we consider anything under $300 to be cheap in this space and you may be surprised ...
- NuWave OxyPure Smart Air Purifier review: This monstrous purifier scrubs the air in large roomson March 8, 2021 at 3:02 am
Our COVID-obsessed world is bringing understandable new attention to an old technology: the air purifier. While dozens of units of varying sizes and capacities are available at retail, none is quite ...
- In Kazuo Ishiguro’s ‘Klara and the Sun,’ a robot tries to make sense of humanityon March 6, 2021 at 11:33 am
One hundred years ago, a play titled “R.U.R.,” by Karel Čapek, debuted in Prague and gave us the word “robot.” Since then, androids have been dreaming of electric sheep, and we’ve been having ...
- Addverb Technologies launches robot manufacturing unit in Noidaon March 5, 2021 at 10:19 am
Equipped with electronics and mechanical machines, the company claims it to be a one-of-a-kind manufacturing hub that will employ 450-strong workforce ...
- Save Up To 27% On Roborock Robot Vacuums In This One-Day Saleon March 3, 2021 at 5:32 am
Amazon has a great deal on a pair of Roborock robot vacuums today, where you can save up to 27% on them. This is part of Amazon's Gold Box Deal of the ...
- Avatar robots are beginning to stake out their place in the workforce, and Japan is leading the wayon March 2, 2021 at 11:16 pm
Kentaro Yoshifuji of OryLab is one of a number of entrepreneurs experimenting in the avatar robot field ...
- Review: A robot takes stock of humanity in Kazuo Ishiguro's timeless ‘Klara and the Sun’on March 2, 2021 at 8:28 am
Klara is an Artificial Friend who observes humanity in Kazuo Ishiguro's "Klara and the Sun," his first novel since winning the Nobel Prize in 2017.
- Ava Telepresence Robot Revolutionizes Real Estate Industry's Digital Capabilitieson March 2, 2021 at 4:27 am
CAMBRIDGE, MA / ACCESSWIRE / March 2, 2021 / In response to the severe limitations created by COVID-19 lockdowns, Ava Robotics, a leader in creating intelligent robots for the workplace, partnered ...
- Ava says its telepresence robot ‘revolutionizing real estate industry’s digital capabilities’on March 2, 2021 at 2:20 am
Ava Robotics says its telepresence robot is “revolutionizing real estate industry’s digital capabilities”. (See video below.) In response to the severe limitations created by Covid-19 lockdowns, ...
- ‘Drunk’ robot vacuum cleaners are causing havoc in homeson February 26, 2021 at 5:06 am
Drunk' robot vacuum cleaners made by Roomba are running amuck in homes after a recent software update sent them out of control.