Online crowds can be an important tool for teaching the ins and outs of innovation, educators at Carnegie Mellon University and Northwestern University say, even when the quality of the feedback provided by online sources doesn’t always match the quantity.
In a pilot study that invited the crowd into their classrooms, Carnegie Mellon and Northwestern instructors found that input from social media and other crowdsourcing sites helped the students identify human needs for products or services, generate large quantities of ideas, and ease some aspects of testing those ideas.
Finding ways to incorporate online crowds into coursework is critical for teaching the process of innovation, said Steven Dow, assistant professor in Carnegie Mellon’s Human-Computer Interaction Institute. He and his co-investigator, Elizabeth Gerber, the Breed Junior Professor of Design at Northwestern University, will present their findings April 29 at CHI 2013, the Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, in Paris.
“Educating students about innovation practices can be difficult in the classroom, where students typically lack authentic interaction with the real world,” Dow explained. “Social networks and other online crowds can provide input that students can’t get otherwise. Even in project courses, feedback is limited to a handful of individuals, at most.”
At the same time, tapping the power of online communities has itself become part of the innovation process, Gerber said, with many entrepreneurs turning to sites such as Kickstarter and IndieGoGo to get initial support.
“The Internet affords access to online communities to which we might not ever have access,” she said. “Future innovators need to know how to find and respectively engage with these communities to get the resources they need.”
Dow and Gerber have received a National Science Foundation grant to study the use of crowd technologies in the classroom. They have created a website, http://crowddriveninnovation.com/, to share ideas and resources regarding the use of crowd-based resources in innovation education.
The Latest Bing News on:
- What Wisconsin Education Advocates Want To See From The Next State Superintendenton January 26, 2021 at 6:01 am
For the first time in about 20 years, there’s a wide-open race for Wisconsin’s top K-12 education official. Seven candidates are running for superintendent ...
- Infosec’s 2020 Innovation and Client Satisfaction Fuel 87% ARR Growthon January 26, 2021 at 4:22 am
Infosec announces impressive 2020 cybersecurity education software business growth: 87% ARR increase, product innovations, exceptional client reviews ...
- Union Education Minister inaugurates Agri-Food Techathon at IIT Kharagpur to promote technology innovation and entrepreneurshipon January 26, 2021 at 3:34 am
Union Education Minister inaugurates Agri-Food Techathon at IIT Kharagpur to promote technology innovation and entrepreneurship ...
- What lessons does special education hold for personalized learning?on January 26, 2021 at 12:00 am
How can we apply lessons from special education, such as the use of Individual Education Programs, or IEPs, to personalized learning?
- UCI Division of Continuing Education Introduces New Technology and Team Driven Innovation ...on January 25, 2021 at 10:12 pm
(GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- The University of California, Irvine Division of Continuing Education (DCE) has announced that it will launch the new, fully-online Technology and Team Driven Innovation ...
- Opinion: We shouldn’t be afraid to innovate with education choiceson January 25, 2021 at 4:22 pm
Virginia should be working to provide more K-12 options for children and parents, Savanna Buckner of National School Choice Week writes in a guest column.
- UCI Division of Continuing Education introduces new Technology and Team Driven Innovation Certificate Programon January 25, 2021 at 9:56 am
UCI Division of Continuing Education introduces new Technology and Team Driven Innovation Certificate Program IRVINE, Calif., January 25, ...
- How Innovative Employers Will Invest Their Education & Learning Dollars In 2021on January 25, 2021 at 6:00 am
I expect to see three trends gather steam in 2021: career advancement will become the new touchstone for diversity, equity, and inclusion; online education and training will stay in a big way; and ...
- MSU receives $4.3 million to support innovations in educationon January 22, 2021 at 6:30 am
Mississippi State University is using $4.3 million allocated by the Governor’s Emergency Education Response (GEER) Fund program to implement innovative education solutions throughout Mississippi.
- Texworld Shines Light on Innovation, Education for Winter Editionon January 21, 2021 at 7:18 am
Texworld New York City has closed the “virtual doors” to its winter edition — and the event welcomed more than 4,000 attendees to its second iteration of an all-digital show that debuted new fabrics, ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
Engaging Online Crowds in the Classroom
- ViewSonic Showcases Latest Classroom Collaboration Tools for Remote- and Hybrid-Based Learning Environments at FETC 2021on January 26, 2021 at 5:05 am
ViewSonic Corp., a leading global provider of visual solutions, introduces the myViewBoard™ Manager, myViewBoard Clips Hybrid Package, myViewBoard Box and a line of Pen Displays for remote and ...
- Planet Classroom Network Joins Forces with XtalksWorldListens to Amplify Youth Voices in Places with Poor Online Connectivityon January 26, 2021 at 12:00 am
Planet Classroom Network Channel on YouTube will showcase videos by youth from digitally hard to reach places. NEW YORK (PRWEB) January 26, 2021 The Pandemic raised ...
- Now is the time for Democrats to stand up to teachers unionson January 25, 2021 at 7:52 pm
The Chicago Teachers Union’s refusal on Sunday to go back to the classroom is more than a possibly illegal strike. It is another example of unions failing to put the interest of students first. The ...
- Gay Trump supporter arrested after participating in Capitol riotson January 25, 2021 at 4:07 pm
Brandon Straka allegedly participated in the attempted insurrection and encouraged rioters to attack a Capitol police officer ...
- Protest erupts over police car driving through crowd in Washingtonon January 25, 2021 at 3:57 am
Protesters have set a large fire, damaged buildings and marched with signs in response to a police car driving through a crowd in Tacoma, Washington.
- Bibb Co. students will return to class after a month of online learning. What to knowon January 22, 2021 at 10:15 am
The Bibb County School District was prepared to welcome students back to the classroom after the holiday break. But spiking COVID-19 cases led school leaders to temporarily halt in-person classes, ...
- Dallas business leaders must invest in online education that will close the digital divideon January 21, 2021 at 11:30 pm
When the COVID-19 pandemic forced schools across the country to pivot to remote learning, the depth of the digital divide in our country was laid bare.
- Auburn man, arrested during riots said he went to D.C. to ‘support the patriots’on January 21, 2021 at 10:52 am
Investigators said Watson was carrying a can of mace and joined people to forcibly enter the U.S. Capitol and disturb the business of Congress.
- Strategies to Make Learning More Engaging Using Technologyon January 11, 2021 at 7:57 am
To teachers, their satisfaction is seeing students engaged in the classroom ... to make learning more engaging using technology. Blog posts are short and precise online articles that have rapidly ...
- How to access Google Classroom on Xboxon January 10, 2021 at 5:43 am
In many corners of the globe, students continue to be asked to undertake remote learning with tools like Google Classroom ... ways for your kids to engage in their online learning, too.