As the US continues to grapple with the idea of letting drones fly through the country’s airspace, our neighbors to the north have reported a new milestone for unmanned aerial technology: the first life saved using a drone.
The Royal Canadian Mounted Police in the province of Saskatchewan announced yesterday that they successfully used the small Draganflyer X4-ES helicopter drone to locate and treat an injured man whose car had flipped over in a remote, wooded area in near-freezing temperatures. Zenon Dragan, president and founder of the Draganfly company that makes the drone, said in a statement: “to our knowledge, this is the first time that a life may have been saved with the use of a sUAS (small Unmanned Aerial System) helicopter.”
The injured driver, whose name has not been released, managed to call 911 from his mobile phone, but he didn’t know his location and couldn’t guide emergency responders to him. Police deployed a regular, manned helicopter equipped with night vision to try and find him, but they weren’t able to in an initial sweep of the area. After several hours without any sign of the accident victim, they decided to try a Draganflyer drone with an infrared camera, flying it toward the last recorded location from his cell phone’s GPS.
The drone’s infrared camera picked up three heat signatures, one of which turned out to be the man, who was “curled up in a ball at the base of a tree next to snow bank” and unresponsive, as the RCMP recounts in its official news release.
The Latest Bing News on:
- Norman police body cam shows wild events of late March standoff involving repeated gunfireon April 16, 2021 at 8:17 pm
Norman Police Department body cam video showed the wild events that took place in an eight-hour standoff in east Cleveland County on March 28.
- In wake of police shootings across US, about 75 rally for police reform in downtown Phoenixon April 16, 2021 at 10:28 am
Organizers promoted the Neighborhood-Organized Crisis Assistance Program to have mental health professionals respond to crises, not police.
- Drones spied on illegal phones to help police smash prison crime ringon April 15, 2021 at 12:00 pm
Craft targeted surge in illegal phones and drugs thrown over walls of a jail containing high number of organised crime group offenders ...
- Watch Now: Incredible drone footage shows eerie frozen village in Russiaon April 15, 2021 at 9:15 am
A drone photographer captured incredible drone footage showing an eerie frozen village in Russia which is almost completely abandoned.
- Police use drone to target nuisance motorcyclists in Sevenoakson April 15, 2021 at 5:27 am
Ten motorcyclist have been issued warnings by police for riding dangerously on footpaths, bridleways and in a nature reserve.
- Fortem Delivers Counter Drone Systems to Law Enforcement Worldwideon April 14, 2021 at 9:27 am
Drone defense specialist, Fortem Technologies, Inc., has announced that it is partnering with state, local, and federal police departments around the world to mitigate criminal and terrorist drone ...
- Fortem Technologies Delivers Counter Drone Security Solutions to Police Forces Worldwideon April 14, 2021 at 7:12 am
Pleasant Grove, Utah, April 14, 2021 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Fortem Technologies, Inc., a leader in airspace security and defense for detecting and defeating dangerous drones, announced today that it is ...
- Aerial drone footage shows progress at new joint Nottinghamshire Police and fire service HQon April 14, 2021 at 2:52 am
New drone footage has shown the major progress being made on the new joint police and fire service headquarters in Nottinghamshire. The new aerial footage from Sherwood Lodge, Arnold, shows how the ...
- How drones are changing the face of policing in Australiaon April 13, 2021 at 6:01 pm
Australian police forces are increasingly leaning on sophisticated drone units to carry out specialist operations.
- Hilliard police testing drone that could help emergency responseon April 13, 2021 at 1:16 pm
When faced with an emergency, officers say getting information as quickly as possible can be hard. That's where the drone comes in.
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- ATCEMS responding to second water rescue in matter of hours, this time on Lady Bird Lakeon April 17, 2021 at 4:06 pm
Austin-Travis County EMS is responding to another water rescue on Saturday, this time on Lady Bird Lake just east of Interstate 35.
- Pub seen on fire in dramatic drone footage with billowing smoke filling the skyon April 17, 2021 at 11:32 am
The Three Tuns pub in Alcester, Warwickshire, is housed within the grade-II listed Talbot Cottage, with the blaze causing the roof to cave in and smoke and flames to fill the sky ...
- Fotokite Tethered Drone for Public Safety Wins iF Design Award: Unlimited Flight Time, Elegant Designon April 17, 2021 at 8:45 am
The Fotokite tethered drone for public safety has won a top distinction at this year’s iF Design Award. “From almost 10,000 submissions, only 75 were honored with the Gold Award for outsta ...
- SoftBank's drones keep mobile network alive in disaster-hit Japanon April 17, 2021 at 8:07 am
SoftBank plans to deploy more than 10 drones at its nationwide locations by next spring. The equipment will allow phone calls of up to 2,000 people simultaneously within a 10 kilometer radius. The ...
- Opinion: Tips for Starting a Drone Program for K-12on April 16, 2021 at 3:26 pm
As use cases for drones continue to multiply, and more businesses incorporate them into regular operations, there’s a case to be made for teaching K-12 students how to use them. Here’s how schools can ...
- DJI Air 2S review: the ultimate camera droneon April 16, 2021 at 5:09 am
The DJI Air 2S is a true game-changer, excelling in portability and features, and enabling you to shoot hi-res video and stills like a real pro. Here's our review ...
- Parrot and High Lander enhance drone fleet automationon April 15, 2021 at 4:41 pm
Parrot drones professional users benefit from an advanced control during complex fleet operations Paris and Tel Aviv – April 13, 2021: Parrot, the leading European drone group, announced today its ...
- Foyle Search & Rescue Upgrades Drone Programme to Include Thermal Imaging Deviceon April 14, 2021 at 5:48 am
The team's fleet includes six new ultra-lightweight deployable drones and a new flagship heavyweight drone with thermal imaging ...
- Foyle Search and Rescue operations assisted by new droneson April 11, 2021 at 2:43 am
A new fleet of drones is helping to assist search-and-rescue operations along the River Foyle. Foyle Search and Rescue overhauled its drone programme this year, with the addition of six new drones.
- Roanoke County Fire and Rescue testing drone delivery for emergency situationson April 9, 2021 at 12:25 am
... of our local fire departments and now Roanoke County is piloting a program that would take its drones to the next level. Roanoke County Fire and Rescue’s drone program has grown more valuable by ...