As the US continues to grapple with the idea of letting drones fly through the country’s airspace, our neighbors to the north have reported a new milestone for unmanned aerial technology: the first life saved using a drone.
The Royal Canadian Mounted Police in the province of Saskatchewan announced yesterday that they successfully used the small Draganflyer X4-ES helicopter drone to locate and treat an injured man whose car had flipped over in a remote, wooded area in near-freezing temperatures. Zenon Dragan, president and founder of the Draganfly company that makes the drone, said in a statement: “to our knowledge, this is the first time that a life may have been saved with the use of a sUAS (small Unmanned Aerial System) helicopter.”
The injured driver, whose name has not been released, managed to call 911 from his mobile phone, but he didn’t know his location and couldn’t guide emergency responders to him. Police deployed a regular, manned helicopter equipped with night vision to try and find him, but they weren’t able to in an initial sweep of the area. After several hours without any sign of the accident victim, they decided to try a Draganflyer drone with an infrared camera, flying it toward the last recorded location from his cell phone’s GPS.
The drone’s infrared camera picked up three heat signatures, one of which turned out to be the man, who was “curled up in a ball at the base of a tree next to snow bank” and unresponsive, as the RCMP recounts in its official news release.
The Latest Bing News on:
- Mangaluru: City police warns against illegal flying of droneson January 18, 2021 at 8:38 am
Mangaluru: City police warns against illegal flying of drones Karnataka: Mangaluru police arrest 4 involved in honey-trap case Karnataka: 21 doses of Covishield wasted in Dakshina Kannada district ...
- Police on horseback, drones: PA Capitol grounds tighten securityon January 17, 2021 at 2:58 pm
As states across the nation tighten security for possible demonstrations ahead of Joe Biden’s inauguration on Wednesday, downtown Harrisburg, which houses Pennsylvania’s State Capitol, is filled with ...
- Drone operator pleads guilty to damaging Los Angeles Police helicopteron January 16, 2021 at 9:01 am
Drone operator pleads guilty to recklessly operating a drone that unintentionally damaged a Los Angeles Police helicopter.
- The FAA has given approval for commercial drones to fly over people. It means autonomous deliveries by companies like Amazon are one step closer to realityon January 16, 2021 at 7:22 am
The Federal Aviation Administration on Friday finalized a rule allowing commercial drones to fly over people and without an on-site operator.
- California man faces prison time after hitting police helicopter with a droneon January 15, 2021 at 9:02 am
A California man is facing jail time for hitting a police helicopter with his drone. Andrew Hernandez pleaded guilty yesterday to unsafe operation of an unmanned aircraft, a charge that carries up to ...
- Man pleads guilty after drone hits police helicopter, conviction first of its kindon January 15, 2021 at 12:38 am
A Los Angeles man pleaded guilty Thursday to a misdemeanor count after his drone crashed into a police helicopter, prompting an emergency landing, federal ...
- Hollywood man pleads guilty to operating drone that hit police copteron January 14, 2021 at 5:59 pm
A 22-year-old Hollywood man pleaded guilty Thursday, Jan. 14, to recklessly operating a drone that crashed into a Los Angeles Police Department helicopter in what’s considered the nation’s first use ...
- French watchdog condemns police for unlawful use of drones to patrol lockdownon January 14, 2021 at 7:45 am
French data privacy watchdog CNIL condemned the Interior Ministry for the unlawful use of drones to oversee demonstrations and make sure people were respecting the COVID-19 lockdown.
- France Bans Police Camera Drones Used to Enforce Lockdownon January 14, 2021 at 3:04 am
France’s top privacy watchdog has told police to stop using drone-mounted cameras to enforce virus lockdowns, monitor protests, stake out drug deals and chase carjackers.
- Bloomington police, firefighters can use drone technology | Bloomingtonon January 12, 2021 at 2:29 pm
Bloomington police, firefighters can use drone technology | Bloomington When it comes to searching a large area in Bloomington for a ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- Bristol’s Smart Internet Lab helps accelerate UK’s capabilities in drone operationson January 18, 2021 at 3:33 am
Experts from the University of Bristol are among a UK-wide consortium that is pushing the boundaries of drone development and aviation capabilities.
- Dogs, drones and firefighters team up to find missing peopleon January 17, 2021 at 6:37 am
A DuPage County sheriff bloodhound arrived, and so did a new team run by firefighters from throughout the suburbs -- the K9/Drone Search and Rescue Strike Team, which formed in ea ...
- Russian cargo ship sinks in the Black Sea, rescue underwayon January 17, 2021 at 2:53 am
ISTANBUL (AP) — A Russian-flagged dry goods ship sank off the Black Sea coast in Turkey on Sunday and a rescue operations for the crew was underway, an official said. The governor of Bartin province ...
- Multirotor Drones Market Size, Share, Analysis, Applications, Sale, Growth Insight, Trends, Leaders, Services and Future Forecaston January 13, 2021 at 10:36 pm
The multirotor drones market has been segmented into product type, applications and end user. In terms of application, ...
- Man pleads guilty after drone hits LAPD helicopteron January 13, 2021 at 4:00 pm
A Hollywood man pleaded guilty Thursday to unsafely operating a drone that hit a Los Angeles police helicopter and forced it to make an emergency landing.
- How to keep drones flying when a motor failson January 13, 2021 at 7:58 am
Robotics researchers at the University of Zurich show how onboard cameras can be used to keep damaged quadcopters in the air and flying stably -- even without GPS.
- Rutherford County authorities use drones to rescue woman lost in woodson January 11, 2021 at 11:01 am
Authorities in Rutherford County were able to rescue a woman with the use of drones, according to a release from the Rutherford County Sheriffs ...
- Milwaukee County Deputies Now Trained To Operate Droneson January 7, 2021 at 9:40 pm
This week the Milwaukee County Sheriff's Office announced nine deputies are now certified Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Drone Pilots. The Milwaukee County Sheriff's Office currently has two ...
- 4 Adults and Baby Rescued from Rural Australian Overlook After Man Sends 'Clever' SOS via Droneon January 7, 2021 at 11:19 am
The group used a drone to reach cell service and call for help after becoming stranded by torrential downpours in far north Queensland ...
- Drone phone, excavator and chainsaws used in rescue of family stranded during torrential downpouron January 6, 2021 at 10:21 pm
A Far North Queensland man flips the tradition of scrawling SOS into the sand by launching a request for help with his phone attached to a drone to pick up a signal.