As the US continues to grapple with the idea of letting drones fly through the country’s airspace, our neighbors to the north have reported a new milestone for unmanned aerial technology: the first life saved using a drone.
The Royal Canadian Mounted Police in the province of Saskatchewan announced yesterday that they successfully used the small Draganflyer X4-ES helicopter drone to locate and treat an injured man whose car had flipped over in a remote, wooded area in near-freezing temperatures. Zenon Dragan, president and founder of the Draganfly company that makes the drone, said in a statement: “to our knowledge, this is the first time that a life may have been saved with the use of a sUAS (small Unmanned Aerial System) helicopter.”
The injured driver, whose name has not been released, managed to call 911 from his mobile phone, but he didn’t know his location and couldn’t guide emergency responders to him. Police deployed a regular, manned helicopter equipped with night vision to try and find him, but they weren’t able to in an initial sweep of the area. After several hours without any sign of the accident victim, they decided to try a Draganflyer drone with an infrared camera, flying it toward the last recorded location from his cell phone’s GPS.
The drone’s infrared camera picked up three heat signatures, one of which turned out to be the man, who was “curled up in a ball at the base of a tree next to snow bank” and unresponsive, as the RCMP recounts in its official news release.
The Latest Bing News on:
- Drone training helps police hone skillson June 25, 2022 at 1:00 am
The Hardin County Sheriff’s Office and Precision Products held a drone training field day Wednesday and Thursday at the Hardin County Fairgrounds to offer training to public safety drone pilots ...
- Guadalupe PD to use drone to track illegal fireworkson June 24, 2022 at 2:20 pm
Another local police department plans to use drones to crack down on illegal fireworks around the 4th of July.
- San Antonio police take traffic investigations to new heights with drone technologyon June 24, 2022 at 2:03 pm
Traffic investigations could take several hours to complete, however San Antonio police hope to reduce that time by using drone technology.
- City police awaiting delivery of first drones, summer deployment expectedon June 24, 2022 at 10:51 am
The City Council this month approved $60,334 to buy the drones as well as related equipment and online training access from Axon Enterprises Inc., an Arizona firm that also sold the city police body ...
- Grover Beach Police using drones to crack down on illegal fireworkson June 23, 2022 at 11:47 pm
The Grover Beach Police Department is using new technology to crack down on illegal fireworks this Fourth of July.
- Highfill council releases land from its water service area; drone purchase approved for Police Departmenton June 23, 2022 at 11:30 pm
The Highfill city council released land from its water service area and approved the purchase of a drone for the Police Department July 14.
- New Berlin Police Department adds droneson June 19, 2022 at 7:29 pm
Drones are becoming a more common tool for law enforcement. The New Berlin Police Department is the latest to add drones to the team.
- Worcester, Mass., City Council Approves Police Drone Programon June 16, 2022 at 2:59 pm
The debate over a plan to buy a drone for the Worcester Police Department has come to an end with a 7 to 3 City Council vote in favor of the purchase. Opponents voiced concern about potential civil ...
- Police Drone Must Get Public Approval in Worcester, Mass.on June 15, 2022 at 4:23 pm
Acting City Manager Eric Batista said he would not move forward with plans to buy a drone for the Worcester Police Department if the proposal was not approved by residents and the City Council.
- Worcester City Council votes to support police drone after months of debate about infringing on civil libertieson June 15, 2022 at 9:59 am
After months of debate about how the Worcester Police Department would use a proposed police drone, the Worcester City Council voted 7 to 3 to support the department’s efforts to obtain one. The crux ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- Technology to The Rescue: Drones Provide Drinking Water, Essentials in Flood Areas In Assam’s Silcharon June 26, 2022 at 3:09 am
Two drones were deployed in Silchar for carrying drinking water and other relief materials to the inaccessible areas in the district.
- Garuda Aerospace deploys drones to support rescue efforts in flood-hit Assamon June 24, 2022 at 5:52 am
According to the city-based company, the drones were used to deliver emergency food and medicine packets to people affected by the floods.
- Assam floods: Garuda Aerospace deploys drones to support rescue effortson June 24, 2022 at 5:47 am
Recently, food aggregator Swiggy partnered with Garuda Aerospace for taking up delivery of packages for their Instamart Dark stores through drones, the statement added.
- Garuda Aerospace deploys emergency delivery drones designed for Swiggy to support Assam flood rescue effortson June 24, 2022 at 2:33 am
India’s largest drone start-up Garuda Aerospace has deployed White Knight Delivery Drones in Assam to support the state disaster management department’s rescue efforts amid the ongoing floods and ...
- Garuda Aerospace drones deployed in Assam flood rescue operationson June 24, 2022 at 1:21 am
Integrated drone manufacture and drone-as-a-service (DAAS) provider Garuda Aerospace Pvt. Ltd has deployed its drones in Assam to support the state disaster management department's rescue efforts ...
- Garuda Aerospace Drones Deployed In Assam Flood Rescueon June 24, 2022 at 12:18 am
Integrated drone manufacture and drone-as-a-service (DAAS) provider Garuda Aerospace Pvt. Ltd has deployed its drones in Assam to support the state disaster management department's rescue efforts amid ...
- Phoenix Fire Department uses drones on mountain rescueson June 23, 2022 at 9:32 pm
Phoenix fire is now using drones to help save lives on our mountain trails. It serves as a birds-eye view for Phoenix fire when responding to emergency calls.
- Man who shone laser at rescue helicopter on life-saving mission says he thought it was a droneon June 21, 2022 at 8:12 pm
The pilot managed to pinpoint the address of the property the laser came from after it was shone into the cockpit for up to 15 seconds.
- Volusia County Beach Safety considering using drones for search and rescueon June 21, 2022 at 2:05 pm
Volusia County Beach Safety officials say they’re considering adding drones to the tools they use to help keep beachgoers safe.
- Emergency-response drones to save lives in the digital skieson June 21, 2022 at 6:04 am
Uncrewed aircraft responding to fire and medical emergencies will be used to save lives—if digitalized air-traffic control can help them navigate safely in the skies over Europe.