British scientists say they have developed a new type of wheat which could increase productivity by 30%.
The Cambridge-based National Institute of Agricultural Botany has combined an ancient ancestor of wheat with a modern variety to produce a new strain.
In early trials, the resulting crop seemed bigger and stronger than the current modern wheat varieties.
It will take at least five years of tests and regulatory approval before it is harvested by farmers.
Some farmers, however, are urging new initiatives between the food industry, scientists and government.
They believe the regulatory process needs to be speeded up to ensure that the global food security demands of the next few decades can be met, says the BBC’s Tom Heap.
One in five of all the calories consumed round the world come from wheat.
But despite steady improvement in the late 20th century, the last 15 years have seen little growth in the average wheat harvest from each acre in Britain.
Just last month, cereal maker Weetabix announced that it would have to scale back production of some of its products due to a poor wheat harvest in the UK.
The Latest Bing News on:
- Feeding the World: Genetically Modified Superwheat is Transforming Our Futureon November 14, 2016 at 4:00 am
The second of UN’s sustainable development goals is to end hunger and achieve food security. It’s a goal that’s getting harder to accomplish as we face growing populations and climate change ...
- NIAB ticks the boxes for visitorson June 16, 2016 at 8:18 am
Visitors also found out how NIAB’s genetics and breeding team is increasing diversity and improving yields in wheat with the latest resynthesised superwheat, tetraploids and MAGIC elite and MAGIC ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
Fix the internet
- Some getting the connection they crave from the ‘Internet’s Dad’on June 20, 2021 at 12:08 am
Kenney wanted to provide practical advice and emotional support. But in a time defined by isolation and loneliness, he surpassed 1 million subscribers in less than two months.
- Last Best Hope review: George Packer on the state we’re in – and how to fix iton June 19, 2021 at 11:11 pm
Like his hero, George Orwell, the Atlantic writer is not afraid to look to his own – liberals, the media – and prescribe harsh cures ...
- Microsoft Store Not Working on Windows 10? Fix-It With These Solutionson June 19, 2021 at 9:07 pm
Microsoft Store not working? If Windows Store is not loading or working properly or closes immediately after opening in Windows 10, try these troubleshooting steps to fix the problem.
- Ship Repair and Maintenance Services Market– Insights on Upcoming Trends 2026on June 19, 2021 at 2:32 pm
Global Ship Repair and Maintenance Services Market is anticipated to reach US$ XX Mn by 2026 from US$ XX Mn in 2019 at a CAGR of 3.06% during a forecast period. Global Ship Repair and Maintenance ...
- Groom Lovingly Helps Bride Fix Makeup On The Mandap. Watch Viral Videoon June 19, 2021 at 2:02 am
Instagram users really appreciated the loving gesture of the groom to help the bride. Users dropped a lot of laughing and heart emojis in the comments.
- Amid the pandemic, people crave connection. The 'Internet's Dad' provides it.on June 17, 2021 at 11:36 am
He wanted to provide practical advice ("How to fix most running toilets") and emotional support ... While "Good Morning America" referred to him as the "Internet's Dad," followers flooded him with ...
- The most common Wi-Fi problems and how to fix themon June 16, 2021 at 4:00 am
If your Wi-Fi is running slow or just drops out altogether in certain rooms, there are solutions you can try to fix the problem without buying a new router.
- Broadband study aims to fix the lack of internet-access data in Kansas. Here's how to make your voice heard.on June 12, 2021 at 3:30 am
A study being conducted by researchers at the University of Kansas aims to rectify what the project's lead researcher describes as a "terrible" lack of data about broadband access in the sunflower ...
- Why isn’t my computer connecting to the internet over Wi-Fi?on June 11, 2021 at 10:01 pm
Patrick Marshall answers your tech questions. This week's topics cover troubleshooting a computer that fails to connect to the internet over Wi-Fi and why Excel files suddenly can't be viewed or found ...
- What Happened to the Internet? Fastly’s Hard Fall and Quick Recoveryon June 10, 2021 at 8:26 am
Well, wasn’t that fun? On June 8, 2021, many internet users went to their usual sites such as Amazon, Reddit, CNN, or the New York Times and found nothing but an “Error 503 service unavailable” and an ...