British scientists say they have developed a new type of wheat which could increase productivity by 30%.
The Cambridge-based National Institute of Agricultural Botany has combined an ancient ancestor of wheat with a modern variety to produce a new strain.
In early trials, the resulting crop seemed bigger and stronger than the current modern wheat varieties.
It will take at least five years of tests and regulatory approval before it is harvested by farmers.
Some farmers, however, are urging new initiatives between the food industry, scientists and government.
They believe the regulatory process needs to be speeded up to ensure that the global food security demands of the next few decades can be met, says the BBC’s Tom Heap.
One in five of all the calories consumed round the world come from wheat.
But despite steady improvement in the late 20th century, the last 15 years have seen little growth in the average wheat harvest from each acre in Britain.
Just last month, cereal maker Weetabix announced that it would have to scale back production of some of its products due to a poor wheat harvest in the UK.
The Latest Bing News on:
- Feeding the World: Genetically Modified Superwheat is Transforming Our Futureon November 14, 2016 at 4:00 am
The second of UN's sustainable development goals is to end hunger and achieve food security. It's a goal that's getting harder to accomplish as we face growing populations and climate change ...
- GENETIC MODIFICATIONon July 29, 2016 at 8:26 am
US plan to fend off Zika with sterile mosquitoes faces catch-22 ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
Fix the internet
- Paytm outage: company says 'trying to fix the issue'on August 5, 2022 at 1:31 am
Many of the traders are even seeking compensation for the loss they suffered in the F&O (futures and options) due to the crash of Paytm Money during t..
- How to fix those annoying popup ads on mobile deviceson August 4, 2022 at 2:11 pm
A few of our readers were reporting invasive “popup ads” on our website that took over their screen and congratulated them for winning something, such as a new mobile phone or gift card. We do [...] ...
- Home Internet Outages: 5 Common Causes and How to Fix Themon August 4, 2022 at 11:48 am
Whatever you're using the internet for at the time ( streaming TV, gaming online, working from home or some combination of it all) comes to an abrupt and frustrating halt. Even when you're away, an ...
- Bubblr's ‘Internet-Based Search Mechanism’ Patents Approved in Canada and Australiaon August 4, 2022 at 5:30 am
Bubblr Advances its Mission to Fix Fundamental Flaws in the Current Internet Economic Model with Key Patent Wins Current Awards Follows Patent Approval in U.S., South Africa and New Zealand NEW YORK, ...
- How to fix internet access after updating Windows 11on August 4, 2022 at 4:00 am
On Windows 11, Microsoft proactively releases updates to patch bugs, improve security and performance, and occasionally add new features. However, sometimes, system updates can also cause unwanted ...
- The Most Common FaceTime Connection Problems And How To Fix Themon August 3, 2022 at 3:57 pm
You may run into some common issues with Apple iPhone's Facetime, but there a couple of very simple fixes that can improve your experience.
- The Choco Taco’s been resurrected in Winter Park — get your fixon August 3, 2022 at 8:37 am
Orlando Choco Taco fans barely had a minute to mourn before Peterbrooke Chocolatier of Winter Park beat Klondike to the comeback punch.
- The Notorious Hacker Who’s Trying to Fix Social Mediaon August 2, 2022 at 1:30 pm
Over the past two decades, social media has taken over the world and become a menace to democracy. Can a pseudonymous hacktivist get it back on the right track?
- Fix Problem Finding Match in Fall Guyson August 2, 2022 at 9:39 am
If you see Problem Finding Match in Full Guys game, then sue the solutions mentioned in this post to resolve the issue successfully.
- No quick fix: How OpenAI's DALL·E 2 illustrated the challenges of bias in AIon July 28, 2022 at 8:50 am
OpenAI released the second version of its DALL·E image generator in April to rave reviews, but efforts to address societal biases in its output have illustrated systemic underlying problems with AI ...