British scientists say they have developed a new type of wheat which could increase productivity by 30%.
The Cambridge-based National Institute of Agricultural Botany has combined an ancient ancestor of wheat with a modern variety to produce a new strain.
In early trials, the resulting crop seemed bigger and stronger than the current modern wheat varieties.
It will take at least five years of tests and regulatory approval before it is harvested by farmers.
Some farmers, however, are urging new initiatives between the food industry, scientists and government.
They believe the regulatory process needs to be speeded up to ensure that the global food security demands of the next few decades can be met, says the BBC’s Tom Heap.
One in five of all the calories consumed round the world come from wheat.
But despite steady improvement in the late 20th century, the last 15 years have seen little growth in the average wheat harvest from each acre in Britain.
Just last month, cereal maker Weetabix announced that it would have to scale back production of some of its products due to a poor wheat harvest in the UK.
The Latest Bing News on:
- WATCH NOW: Mount Pleasant man used to work a city job. Now he's seeking the perfect pizza on his anarchic farmon January 31, 2021 at 10:46 pm
But there’s a catch. Tennessen didn’t want to grow any “superwheat.” He turned to the small grains archive at the United States Department of Agriculture and planted wheat that stood the ...
- NIAB ticks the boxes for visitorson June 16, 2016 at 8:18 am
Visitors also found out how NIAB’s genetics and breeding team is increasing diversity and improving yields in wheat with the latest resynthesised superwheat, tetraploids and MAGIC elite and MAGIC ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
Fix the internet
- Netflix not working on an LG TV? Here’s how to fix iton February 27, 2021 at 1:04 pm
It can be frustrating to have Netflix not working on your LG TV, but here's what you have to do to fix the situation.
- Fix ‘Google Search Not Working’ Issue on Androidon February 27, 2021 at 5:59 am
This article is about Fix ‘Google Search Not Working’ Issue on Android. So read this free guide, Fix ‘Google Search Not Working’ Issue on Android step ...
- What will changing Section 230 mean for the internet?on February 26, 2021 at 7:44 am
Section 230, which turned 25 years old this month, has played a central role in shaping the internet. Over the past year, Congress has introduced several proposals to change the law — some of them ...
- uBreakiFix Brings Industry-Leading Smartphone Repair To Brocktonon February 26, 2021 at 5:17 am
Electronics Repair Business Keep Brockton Community Connected uBreakiFix Brockton Electronics repair shop uBreakiFix is now open in Brockton at 1285 Belmont St., Suite 13. The store offers repairs on ...
- Outrider Internet Error: How to Fix ‘Could Not Connect to Outrider’s Servers’on February 25, 2021 at 10:38 am
Are you getting the Internet Connection Error while trying to start the Outriders demo? This guide might have the answers you seek.
- The Internet Is Obsessed With This Drugstore Moisturizer and Now I See Whyon February 22, 2021 at 12:51 pm
When it comes to people on the internet, I usually take their opinions with a grain ... Mind you, I have tried just about every solution to fix my dry, flaky face, which had been getting worse since I ...
- How Joe Biden can boost the economic recovery by expanding internet accesson February 22, 2021 at 9:19 am
Nearly a year into the Covid-19 pandemic, many Americans remain stuck trying to work, attend school and socialize from home. For tens of millions of them, this is made more difficult because they lack ...
- These 5 Hacks Can Finally Fix Your Slow Internet Connectionon February 19, 2021 at 2:38 pm
Few problems in the world of technology are as frustrating as having a slow internet connection. That’s been true for years, but especially now that millions of people are working or taking classes ...
- Right To Repair: The Last Stand In Checking Big Tech’s Power Grabon February 18, 2021 at 2:57 pm
When it comes to Tech, the fight for control goes beyond hardware...but it must start with hardware. Right to Repair matters because how this fight goes will ultimately define our relationship as a ...
- How we measure internet access is broken in America, and the FCC wants to fix iton February 17, 2021 at 3:29 pm
As the pandemic rages on, the FCC took its first steps to overhaul its heavily criticized system for counting the number of U.S. households without access to vital high-speed internet access. During a ...