Frustration led to revelation when Rice University scientists determined how graphene might be made useful for high-capacity batteries.
Calculations by the Rice lab of theoretical physicist Boris Yakobson found a graphene/boron anode should be able to hold a lot of lithium and perform at a proper voltage for use in lithium-ion batteries. The discovery appears in the American Chemical Society’s Journal of Physical Chemistry Letters.
The possibilities offered by graphene get clearer by the day as labs around the world grow and test the one-atom-thick form of carbon. Because it is as thin as possible, battery manufacturers hope to take advantage of graphene’s massive surface area to store lithium ions. Counting both sides of the material, one gram would cover 2,630 square meters, or nearly half a football field.
But there’s a problem. The ions don’t stick to graphene very well.
“As often happens with graphene, people oversold how wonderful it would be to absorb lithium,” said Yakobson, whose group analyzes relationships between atoms based on their intrinsic energy. “But in experiments, they couldn’t see it, and they were frustrated.”
Scientists at the Honda Research Institute, who are interested in powerful batteries for electric cars, asked Yakobson to view the situation. “We looked at the theoretical capacity of an ideal sheet of graphene, and then how it could or could not benefit from curvature (into a nanotube) or topological defects. Our initial expectation was that it would improve lithium binding.
“But the theory didn’t show any significant improvement,” he said. “I was disappointed, but the experimentalists were satisfied because now their observations made sense.”
Calculations involving graphene with defects, in which the honeycomb array is disrupted by five- and seven-atom polygons, fared no better. “So we decided to explore defects of different types where we replace some carbon atoms with another element that creates more attractive sites for lithium,” he said. “And boron is one of them.”
A carbon/boron compound in which a quarter of the carbon atoms are replaced by boron turned out to be nearly ideal as a way to activate graphene’s ability to store lithium, Yakobson said. Boron attracts lithium ions into the matrix, but not so strongly that they can’t be pulled away from a carbon/boron anode by a more attractive cathode.
“Having boron in the lattice gives very nice binding, so the capacity is good enough, two times larger than graphite,” the most commonly used electrode in commercial lithium-ion batteries, he said. “At the same time, the voltage is also right.”
The Latest Bing News on:
- Graphene Is So Yesterday — Meet Boropheneon September 12, 2022 at 5:00 pm
Now scientists have done the same trick with boron to form borophene, and it looks to be even more exciting than graphene. You can read a pretty dense paper about the material if you want to dig ...
- The Search for the Next Super Materialon September 11, 2022 at 5:00 pm
Graphene, hailed as a super material ... These are elements other than carbon, that can potentially be made into a single layer. These include Boron, Silicon, Phosphorus, Germanium, and Tin (B, Si, P, ...
- Graphene Continues to Blow Our Minds with Its Interesting Physicson September 6, 2022 at 5:01 pm
The team created a structure composed of two layers of graphene — a bilayer — sandwiched between atomically thin layers of boron nitride (BN) above and below. Each BN layer is at a slightly different ...
- Alfa Chemistry: Graphene Modification Helps To Unlock New Potentialson September 5, 2022 at 10:44 pm
The element doping modification of graphite mainly adopts annealing treatment, ion bombardment, and other techniques to dope nitrogen, phosphorus, boron, sulfur, or other elements into graphene ...
- White Graphene (hBN) is its Own Wonder Material; Here's Whyon September 3, 2022 at 2:51 am
Hexagonal Boron Nitride (hBN) is a layered material with a structure analogous to that of graphene. Within each layer, it is composed of alternating boron and nitrogen atoms that are arranged in a sp ...
- Single atoms swim inside a graphene sandwichon September 1, 2022 at 6:35 am
Atoms swimming in liquid thanks to graphene. Courtesy: The University of Manchester A ... atomically-thin sheets of molybdenum disulphide – between two sheets of boron nitride (BN) in a TEM. They then ...
- VRS.L - Versarien PLC | Stock Price & Latest News | Reuterson August 29, 2022 at 5:00 pm
which is a graphene enhanced polymer range, Hexotene, which is a nanoplatelet hexagonal boron nitride (h-BN) powder, Graphinks, which is an electrically conductive graphene inks suitable for a ...
- Alfa Chemistry: Graphene Modification Helps to Unlock New Potentialson August 22, 2022 at 8:50 am
Doping can afford new graphene properties. The element doping modification of graphite mainly adopts annealing treatment, ion bombardment, and other techniques to dope nitrogen, phosphorus, boron ...
- Scientists Have Developed a New One-Dimensional Supermaterialon February 11, 2017 at 9:55 am
The team also believe that this 1D boron could have properties weirder than graphene's. Their research, based purely on detailed computer simulations of 1D boron, was published in the Journal of ...
- Graphene under pressureon August 25, 2016 at 1:19 am
The researchers found such balloons can also be created with other two-dimensional crystals such as single layers of molybdenum disulfide (MoS 2) or boron nitride. They were able to directly measure ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- Cool ride? This electric scooter from Komaki has a fire-proof batteryon September 20, 2022 at 8:28 am
Komaki has announced the launch of the Venice Eco high-speed electric scooter in India, right ahead of the festive season. Priced at 79,999 (ex-showroom), the Komaki Venice Eco co ...
- Truck makers hedge bets on batteries vs. fuel cellson September 20, 2022 at 7:05 am
We believe this truck will change the world as we know it today,” he said. But Nikola this week also began taking orders in Europe for its battery-electric Tre, which is closer to series production.
- An easy guide to ruining your MacBook’s batteryon September 20, 2022 at 6:24 am
Have you ever wanted to totally destroy your Apple laptop's battery? Well, we're here to help you achieve that goal.
- Apple may unveil iPhone 15 Ultra with better battery life next yearon September 19, 2022 at 10:05 pm
Tech giant Apple may rename the "Pro Max" lineup with "Ultra" that will arrive with 8K video and better battery life in 2023. According to GSMArena, the iPhone 15 Ultra will have some exclusive ...
- Lenovo ThinkBook 13s Gen 4: Ryzen gets better battery, if you can find iton September 19, 2022 at 8:02 am
Lenovo has been expanding the number of product lines that come with AMD processors and this year's ThinkBook 13s Gen 4 has been added to the list.
- Zinc-air Vs lithium-ion batteries for next-gen electric vehicleson September 17, 2022 at 4:10 am
As the cost of batteries continue to be a roadblock towards affordable EVs, researchers have started working on exploring the various alternatives to the existing lithium-ion batteries as well, in ...
- Ring vs. Nest: Ring Video Doorbell and Nest Doorbell (battery) comparedon September 15, 2022 at 1:38 pm
For many, the top video doorbell comes down to Ring vs. Nest. Here's how the two compare on price, video quality and features.
- DJI Osmo Action 3's Best Feature Is a Better Batteryon September 14, 2022 at 9:16 am
There's always a struggle between size and battery life when it comes to action cams. The smaller the camera, the smaller the battery needs to be. And even if you have a bigger battery, that doesn't ...
- Five Roads to Better Li-ion Batterieson September 11, 2022 at 8:07 pm
Is the Li-ion battery as commonly designed and produced getting near its performance limits? A new report offers five paths to improve it.
- New cathode design solves major barrier to better lithium-ion batterieson September 8, 2022 at 1:12 pm
Argonne National Laboratory have a long history of breakthrough discoveries with lithium-ion batteries. Many of these discoveries have focused on a battery cathode known as NMC, a ...