Queen’s university’s human media lab to unveil morephone at paris conference
researchers at queen’s university’s human media lab have developed a new smartphone – called morephone – which can morph its shape to give users a silent yet visual cue of an incoming phone call, text message or email.
“this is another step in the direction of radically new interaction techniques afforded by smartphones based on thin film, flexible display technologies” says roel vertegaal (school of computing), director of the human media lab at queen’s university who developed the flexible paperphone and papertab.
“users are familiar with hearing their phone ring or feeling it vibrate in silent mode. one of the problems with current silent forms of notification is that users often miss notifications when not holding their phone. with morephone, they can leave their smartphone on the table and observe visual shape changes when someone is trying to contact them.”
morephone is not a traditional smartphone. it is made of a thin, flexible electrophoretic display manufactured by plastic logic – a british company and a world leader in plastic electronics. sandwiched beneath the display are a number of shape memory alloy wires that contract when the phone notifies the user. this allows the phone to either curl either its entire body, or up to three individual corners. each corner can be tailored to convey a particular message. for example, users can set the top right corner of the morephone to bend when receiving a text message, and the bottom right corner when receiving an email. corners can also repeatedly bend up and down to convey messages of greater urgency.
The Latest Bing News on:
Shape changing smartphone
- Redefining ‘Summer School’: How Year-Round Learning Can Shape K-12 Educationon April 5, 2021 at 7:14 am
(NAPSI)—Each day, as people across the country wake up and check their phones, turn on their morning news broadcast, or unfold their local papers, one clear message stares back at them: the COVID-19 ...
- Are Liquid Lenses the Future of Photography?on April 2, 2021 at 3:02 pm
Xiaomi recently teased a liquid lens for their newly announced Mi Mix smartphones. The liquid lens can change shape to alter the focal length and focus to suit a range of applications.
- Verizon deals now include trade-ins for broken phones with up to $1,000 offon April 1, 2021 at 7:44 am
That said, up until now all old phones have had to be in fairly tip-top shape to be eligible for a trade ... so this loosening of the rules is definitely a welcome change that will enable a ton of ...
- Mi Mix Fold is first smartphone to have shape-shifting liquid lens camera, here is how it workson March 30, 2021 at 11:21 pm
The new Mi Mix smartphone features a 108-megapixel main camera, an inward-folding design but what makes this smartphone stand out, is the liquid lens on one of its rear cameras.
- Xiaomi Mi Mix’s Liquid Lens Tech Could Be Future Of Smartphone Photographyon March 27, 2021 at 8:58 pm
Xiaomi has been working on the Mi Mix smartphone for a while now. We’ve seen rumors, leaks, and even live images of the alleged Mi Mix smartphone. The latest update notes the Xiaomi Mi Mix would bring ...
- Xiaomi Teases a Mi Mix Phone With a High-Tech Liquid Lens Coming Soonon March 26, 2021 at 9:30 am
This would allow the lens to change shape to focus on subjects of varying distances, with Xiaomi claiming the tech will result in longer zooms and faster autofocus than traditional smartphone ...
- Xiaomi to launch the world's first liquid lens smartphone cameraon March 26, 2021 at 4:01 am
Chinese smartphone manufacturer Xiaomi has officially confirmed on its Weibo blog that its upcoming Mi Mix phone, to be launched in a few days, will be the world's first smartphone to use "liquid lens ...
- Xiaomi Mi Mix is a flagship phone with an incredible liquid cameraon March 26, 2021 at 12:32 am
It looks increasingly likely that Xiaomi will launch a revolutionary new type of lens in a smartphone soon ... which uses muscles to change the shape of your lenses, allowing you to focus very ...
- Best Android phones 2021: Google-powered smarties for budgets big and smallon March 22, 2021 at 12:07 pm
Android phones come in all shapes and sizes ... Pixel phone is a lot more wallet-friendly than the Pixel 4. A canny change of strategy in these cash-strapped times? Or an admission that Apple ...
- Lululemon Just Gave Its Meghan Markle-Approved Leggings a Long-Overdue Upgradeon March 16, 2021 at 2:41 pm
But there is one major change beyond pockets: Extra seaming along the legs. It's a necessary byproduct of adding pockets deep enough to hold all the essentials like phones, keys, or even resistance ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
Shape changing smartphone
The Latest Bing News on:
- This Flexible Prepaid Phone Plan Could Keep You Connected With No Hidden Feeson April 9, 2021 at 10:35 am
Our smartphones are our lifelines ... then you might want to check out flexible prepaid phone plans from Tracfone. Here are five compelling reasons why switching to Tracfone could work for you. You ...
- Global Flexible Electronics & Circuit (Single Sided Flex Circuit, Multilayer Flex Circuit) Market Report 2021-2026 - ResearchAndMarkets.comon April 8, 2021 at 5:44 am
The "Global Flexible Electronics & Circuit Market with COVID-19 Impact Analysis by Structure Type (Single Sided Flex Circuit, Multilayer Flex Circuit), Application (Displays, Printed Sensors), ...
- The full specs of the upcoming Oppo A35 smartphone have been leakedon April 7, 2021 at 4:05 am
The full specs of the upcoming Oppo A35 smartphone have been leaked. A Chinese operator has completely declassified the low-cost smartphone.
- Seven innovations brought to the smartphone world by LGon April 6, 2021 at 1:44 pm
Today we see foldable phones with flexible displays and can thank LG for leading the way. The idea of a modular smartphone where you simply slide off various accessories for enhanced functionality ...
- Top 5 Best Unique LG Smartphoneson April 6, 2021 at 11:46 am
While the LG Wing wasn’t one of LG’s best smartphones in terms of sales, it was definitely a unique device. And LG deserves to be commended for trying something wild like this. The LG G Flex was ...
- The 6 worst LG smartphones of all time, rankedon April 6, 2021 at 8:00 am
We'll miss LG, but we can't act like the company didn't make some truly puzzling phones along with the good ones. Here are the worst of the bunch.
- Unpacking LG's legacy as it exits the smartphone market globallyon April 6, 2021 at 6:47 am
In a world where smartphones have become increasingly homogeneous, Korea's LG was notable for being willing to take risks, even in its flagship models.Why it matters: LG's exit from the smartphone ...
- Highlights of the day: Flexible AMOLED shipments to growon April 6, 2021 at 12:42 am
Handset vendors are expected to launch more foldable devices with AMOLED screens this year. Global shipments of panels for foldable devices are expected to reach 12 million units in 2021. In the ...
- After a decade of failure, LG officially quits the smartphone marketon April 5, 2021 at 11:01 am
After 12 years of being an Android OEM, LG has had enough. The Korean company announced late last night that it is officially quitting the smartphone market; it plans to close up ...
- In memoriam: LG's great smartphone inventionson April 5, 2021 at 10:15 am
The company is leaving the phone business - a business to which it had contributed so much. Here's a look back at all the innovations by LG.