Queen’s university’s human media lab to unveil morephone at paris conference
researchers at queen’s university’s human media lab have developed a new smartphone – called morephone – which can morph its shape to give users a silent yet visual cue of an incoming phone call, text message or email.
“this is another step in the direction of radically new interaction techniques afforded by smartphones based on thin film, flexible display technologies” says roel vertegaal (school of computing), director of the human media lab at queen’s university who developed the flexible paperphone and papertab.
“users are familiar with hearing their phone ring or feeling it vibrate in silent mode. one of the problems with current silent forms of notification is that users often miss notifications when not holding their phone. with morephone, they can leave their smartphone on the table and observe visual shape changes when someone is trying to contact them.”
morephone is not a traditional smartphone. it is made of a thin, flexible electrophoretic display manufactured by plastic logic – a british company and a world leader in plastic electronics. sandwiched beneath the display are a number of shape memory alloy wires that contract when the phone notifies the user. this allows the phone to either curl either its entire body, or up to three individual corners. each corner can be tailored to convey a particular message. for example, users can set the top right corner of the morephone to bend when receiving a text message, and the bottom right corner when receiving an email. corners can also repeatedly bend up and down to convey messages of greater urgency.
The Latest Bing News on:
Shape changing smartphone
- 15 Advantages of Android Over iOSon January 25, 2021 at 8:57 pm
At the same time, iOS 11 introduced new refinements to Apple’s phones. But even though iPhones are the best they’ve ever been, Android handsets still offer a far better combination of value and ...
- Arm to Move More Chip Design to Arm-Based Servers in Cloudon January 22, 2021 at 10:47 am
Arm said that it would move most of its electronic design automation workloads to Amazon's cloud, in a move to reduce costs and speed up the development process for new chip designs.
- Today’s Virtual Care Revolution: How Policy Has Shaped And Will Continue To Shape Telehealthon January 22, 2021 at 8:00 am
We think of telemedicine as a relatively recent invention—only made possible by the internet and smart phones—but I had my first taste of it 60 years ago.
- Connectivity shapes the future of the cockpiton January 22, 2021 at 12:33 am
As computing power and cloud connectivity innovations continue to boost passenger vehicle performance and efficiency, the automotive industry must pay closer attention to how software and on-line ...
- Best Android phones 2021on January 21, 2021 at 8:55 am
Fi?'s round-up of the best Android phones you can buy in 2021.Android phones come in all shapes and sizes. The software is less universal, thanks to updates slipping out at different times for ...
- Covid-19 will shape a decade of educationon January 19, 2021 at 2:18 am
History has shown that every crisis comes with a hidden opportunity. Covid-19 is no exception. And its in education where we are witnessing some radical changes which will define this decade.
- Safe smartphone usage in the caron January 13, 2021 at 6:19 am
But when it comes to smartphone usage while driving, it is clear that sensible solutions are needed to make roads safer for us all. One significant factor in many traffic accidents is driver ...
- LG confirms its shape-shifting “rollable” phone arrives this yearon January 11, 2021 at 4:00 pm
It’s nice to have phones that are different from your typical slabs of glass, for a change. Did you know we have a newsletter all about consumer tech? It’s called Plugged In – and you can ...
- At CES, Shape Of Phones Is Going Through Another Changeon January 11, 2021 at 3:37 pm
The launch of this phone shape has been rumored for a while, and other smartphone makers, including Samsung, are reportedly also said to be working on their own. The Rollable would join LG’s ...
- Technology Trends That Will Shape the Future of Brand Communicationson January 6, 2021 at 11:40 pm
We will only be skimming the surface if we speak of the internet, cell phones and social media ... While most sectors have begun to embrace this change, the communications sector such as PR ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
Shape changing smartphone
The Latest Bing News on:
- Teagasc researchers look at benefits and obstacles to farmer smartphone useon January 26, 2021 at 9:46 am
Two Teagasc researchers recently published an article which looks at the benefit and obstacles for farmers in smartphone use on-farm.
- Samsung patents a Smartphone design with Dual Slider Mechanismon January 26, 2021 at 6:33 am
Samsung is planning to launch up to four foldable display smartphones this year. However, it might also launch a rollable display smartphone as a patent unearthed by LetsGoDigital shows a dual slider ...
- Apple smartphones most popular in Poland among users of Orange Flexon January 26, 2021 at 5:14 am
Operator Orange Poland said Apple smartphones were the most popular among users of its Orange Flex service. The iPhone 11 topped the list of devices, with eight other Apple smartphone models also ...
- Judgement Day For LG: Time To Bid Adieu To Smartphone Market!on January 26, 2021 at 1:41 am
When the going gets tough, the tough get going. But that doesn't seem to fit in case of LG Smartphone business. There comes a moment of truth for ...
- Xiaomi patents indicate they are working on a smartphone with a sliding displayon January 25, 2021 at 3:30 pm
It seems like flexible displays have finally found their place in the smartphone world. Folding phones haven’t been their best application (because folding screens leave a crease behind, and result in ...
- Xiaomi Mi Mix 3 successor appears with a slider and a flexible screenon January 25, 2021 at 4:08 am
Xiaomi Mi Mix 3 successor appears with a slider and a flexible screen. Xiaomi continues to experiment with flexible screens for its smartphones.
- Why tablets are still the best gadget to watch Netflix on: they’re lighter than a laptop, bigger than a smartphoneon January 22, 2021 at 10:15 am
Tablets are more comfortable to use than a laptop, and are ideal for people who stream movies and television, says one industry expert.
- Xiaomi’s first foldable smartphone with a huge flexible screen caught in real lifeon January 14, 2021 at 9:20 am
Xiaomi's first foldable smartphone with a huge flexible screen caught in real life. It has the style of the Galaxy Z Fold with a screen that folds inward ...
- The Future of Phone Design: Flexible Screens That Roll Upon January 13, 2021 at 8:48 pm
At CES 2021, two companies showed off concepts for a rollable phone. This year, expect this new category of devices to greatly expand.
- Lilbits: TCL’s flexible displays, more NVIDIA RTX laptops, and new 4G for an old Chromebookon January 12, 2021 at 4:43 pm
Meanwhile, the big news about devices that might be a little more imminent and practical today was the launch of AMD’s new Ryzen 5000 series processors and NVIDIA’s GeForce RTX 30xx series graphics ...