This time they are hoping to produce the technologies for a 21st-century revolution in clean energy.
IN THE 1970s researchers lounging on bean bags at Xerox’s Palo Alto Research Centre (PARC) churned out the inventions that would trigger the coming revolution in information technology. The computer mouse was born here, as were icons, windows, Ethernet networking and the laser printer. Today, although the bean bags are long gone and PARC was spun out as a subsidiary a decade ago, its researchers are once again experimenting with printing. This time they are hoping to produce the technologies for a 21st-century revolution in clean energy.
PARC’s Hardware Systems Laboratory is developing electric-vehicle lithium-ion batteries that can hold 20% more energy than traditional designs. Making a battery that can store more energy requires a larger cathode containing more lithium ions. However, the thicker the cathode, the slower the ions will move through it. This reduces the battery’s power, leading to sluggish acceleration.
PARC wants to evade this trade-off by constructing cathodes from two materials: one dense, and optimised for storage; the other porous, for the speedy transfer of charge. Wide storage regions would alternate with narrow conductive regions. That will enable a larger and more energy-dense battery to be constructed without sacrificing its power.
This basic idea has been understood for some time. The trick is building the regions small enough (about 100 microns across for the storage medium, and ten for the conductor). The cathode of a typical electric car’s battery would need tens of thousands of these interleaved fingers. Making such tiny features with precision would require photolithography, an expensive technology unsuitable for high-speed volume manufacturing of big batteries.
The PARC researchers’ solution, which would surely have impressed their free-thinking forebears, was inspired by striped toothpaste. In PARC’s new battery, the two materials are mixed with an organic material to form pastes and fed into a print head containing tiny channels and nozzles. The print head moves over a metal foil, extruding the pastes alongside one another, to create thin stripes. Drying the substrate removes most of the organic material, leaving a solid cathode. In tests against otherwise identical batteries sporting cathodes made of but one substance, the co-extruded rechargeables could store a fifth more energy. Scott Elrod, the laboratory’s boss, says that PARC is now discussing how to test the new battery with firms that might eventually manufacture it.
The Latest Bing News on:
- UK automaking at risk as Jaguar Land Rover looks elsewhere for batterieson May 27, 2022 at 12:27 am
Unless battery investment picks up, experts say, automakers may only accelerate their exodus from what was once the world's second-biggest auto manufacturing base.
- Romeo Power Supplies Batteries to Leader in Powertrain Performance Productson May 26, 2022 at 1:57 pm
Romeo Power, Inc. ("Romeo Power" or the "Company") (NYSE: RMO), an energy technology leader delivering advanced electrification solutions for complex commercial vehicle applications, today announced ...
- Suzuki Develops Tech To Recycle Lithium Batteries Into Streetlightson May 26, 2022 at 10:20 am
On May 23, 2022, Suzuki announced that it has apparently developed a technology to take small lithium-ion batteries from end-of-life vehicles and reuse them to store energy for solar-powered street ...
- Batteries Plus of Florida to Participate in FTA's Tax-Free "Holiday" Seasonon May 26, 2022 at 8:55 am
This weekend marks the beginning of the Federation of Tax Administrator's (FTA) 2022 State Sales Tax Holidays, and Batteries Plus – the nation's largest and fastest growing battery, light bulb, key ...
- Steelseries' New Wireless Gaming Headphones Feature Swappable Batteries and a Retractable Microphoneon May 25, 2022 at 4:40 pm
Wireless headphones have had a slower adoption rate amongst gamers for a few reasons, including audio lag and battery life. SteelSeries’ new Arctis Nova Pro Wireless addresses some of those pain ...
- Scientists develop novel lithium-ion batteries with better performance, greater operational temperature rangeon May 25, 2022 at 9:29 am
The lithium-ion battery (LIB) uses lithium ions as the key component of its electrochemistry. Due to its high energy density, long life, no memory effect and environmental friendliness, the Li-ion ...
- A new research shows batteries could last 100 yearson May 25, 2022 at 6:50 am
To address range anxieties, EVs need energy-dense battery packs. Tesla's research arm's new battery delivers this with higher durability.
- Exploring a new avenue for the manufacture of magnesium batteries to complement lithium modelson May 24, 2022 at 11:29 am
A UCO research group, in collaboration with the University of Xiamen and the Bulgarian Academy of Sciences, has studied, on a laboratory scale, the feasibility of magnesium batteries using a new compo ...
- Poland to order six more Patriot missile batteries, says ministeron May 23, 2022 at 11:38 pm
Poland intends to buy six additional Patriot missile batteries, the country's defence minister said on Tuesday, as the NATO-member strengthens its military after Russia's invasion of Ukraine.
- Fighting Back Against Dodgy Dyson Batterieson May 23, 2022 at 1:01 pm
As you might have surmised from the name, [tinfever] believes that Dyson has intentionally engineered their V6 and V7 batteries to fail by not using the cell balancing function of the onboard ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- Energy storage takes centerstage for Honeywell and customerson May 26, 2022 at 3:00 pm
Onsite energy storage solutions can help cut greenhouse gas emissions and increase supply resilience and stability while reducing energy costs. Honeywell's Prudence Hoffman explained the broad range o ...
- Fullerenes in Energy Storage Applicationson May 26, 2022 at 1:04 am
Benefits of Fullerene's Properties in Energy Storage Applications Fullerenes have received much less attention than other carbon materials for energy storage applications due to their comparatively ...
- Advanced Energy Storage Market is Prognosticated to Gain a Valuation of US$ 2.08 Bn by 2031, States TMR Studyon May 25, 2022 at 7:30 am
The global advanced energy storage market is estimated to attract growth at a CAGR of 5.7% during the forecast period, 2021-2031, as per a study by Transparency Market Research (TMR).
- Energy Storage Devices Market Size by Consumption Analysis, Developments and Trends, Growth Forecast, Regions, Type, Manufacturers, and Applicationon May 24, 2022 at 7:13 am
The MarketWatch News Department was not involved in the creation of this content. May 24, 2022 (The Expresswire) -- Energy Storage Devices Market Size Analysis and Insights 2022: The “Energy Storage ...
- Mechanical Energy Storage Market Analysis, Research, Applications & Forecast to 2030on May 20, 2022 at 3:29 am
The global mechanical energy storage market share is expected to exhibit a strong 6.5% CAGR over the forecast period, according to the latest research report from Market Research Future (MRFR). The ...
- Will energy storage live up to the hype?on May 19, 2022 at 5:00 am
Deploying more renewable energy and energy storage in our communities are two ways we can increase the antifragility of the grid. During the first two years of his presidency, Joe Biden has made it ...
- Thermal Energy Storage Market - 33% of Growth to Originate from North America| (MSES) Segment to be Significant for Revenue Generation |Technavioon May 18, 2022 at 11:03 pm
The thermal energy storage market size is expected to grow by 2506.87 MW from 2020 to 2025. However, the growth momentum is likely to decelerate at a CAGR of 10.40%. 33% of the market's growth will ...
- Solar developer pursues zinc alkaline battery energy storage optionson May 17, 2022 at 7:32 am
Pine Gate Renewables is taking steps to diversify its battery supply for solar-paired and standalone energy storage projects.
- More energy storage is needed to support wind and solar power, MIT study findson May 16, 2022 at 3:38 pm
The authors of the report estimated that the costs of transforming power grids in the Northeast, Southeast, and Texas will range between 21 percent and 36 percent higher than if nothing was done to ...
- Energy storage is important to creating affordable, reliable, deeply decarbonized electricity systemson May 16, 2022 at 12:33 pm
In deeply decarbonized energy systems utilizing high penetrations of variable renewable energy (VRE), energy storage is needed to keep the lights on and the electricity flowing when the sun isn't ...