MIT researchers develop an organic solar cell that breaks 100 percent quantum efficiency
Solar cells are picky. If an incoming photon has too little energy, the cell won’t absorb it. If a photon has too much, the excess is wasted as heat. No matter what, a silicon solar cell can never generate more than one electron from a single photon. Such harsh quantum realities severely limit the conversion efficiency of photovoltaic cells, and scientists have spent decades looking for work-arounds.
Now, researchers at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology’s Center for Excitonics have published a compelling case that the key to greater solar efficiency might be an organic dye called pentacene. In today’s issue of Science Daniel Congreve, Jiye Lee, Nicholas Thompson, Marc Baldo and six others show that a photovoltaic cell based on pentacene can generate two electrons from a single photon—more electricity from the same amount of sun. Scientists have suspected for some time that this might work; today’s paper is proof of concept.
The key is a phenomenon called singlet-exciton fission, in which an arriving photon generates two “excitons” (excited states) that can be made to yield two electrons. Previous researchers had accomplished similar tricks using quantum dots (tiny pieces of matter that behave like atoms) and deep-ultraviolet light. “What we showed here,” Baldo says, in addition to using visible light, “is that [this process] works very, very effectively in organic materials.”
The Latest Bing News on:
Organic solar cell
- Solar self-reliance stays in the shadowson March 7, 2021 at 5:49 am
Does India have what it takes to compete with Chinese manufacturing might in everything from silicon to modules?
- Solar Encapsulation Market to Develop at 10.28% CAGR by 2026 | Market Research Future (MRFR)on March 4, 2021 at 10:06 am
Key companies profiled are Hangzhou First Pv Material Co. Ltd, Specialized Technology Resources Inc, Sanvic Inc, Solutia Inc, E.I. Dupont De Nemours & Co., Renewsys, Kuraray Europe Gmbh, Dow Corning ...
- Electron Measurement Method Holds Key Implications for Solar Industryon March 2, 2021 at 11:20 pm
For the first time, physicists from Tu Bergakademie Freiberg (TU Freiberg) have used a new technique to analyze the processes in a model system, such as an organic solar cell, at the femtosecond scale ...
- Ultra-fast electron measurement provides important findings for the solar industryon March 2, 2021 at 11:49 am
Using a new method, physicists are analyzing at the femtosecond scale the processes in a model system for organic solar cells in detail. The results can be used to develop high-performance and ...
- A common optical approach to thickness optimization in polymer and perovskite solar cellson March 2, 2021 at 2:56 am
The structure of experimentally designed solar cells was optimized in terms of the photoactive layer thickness for both organic bulk heterojunction and hybrid perovskite solar cells. The photoactive ...
- Organic Solar Cell Market Data Current and Future Trends, Industry Size, Share, Revenue, Business Growth Forecast to 2028, Fortune Business Insightson March 1, 2021 at 5:49 pm
It would propel the demand for electricity worldwide. This information is given byFortune Business Insights™in a new report, titled, “Organic Solar Cells Market Size, Share and COVID-19 Impact ...
- Machine learning picks promising solar cell materialon March 1, 2021 at 9:16 am
Researchers have used machine learning to pick a promising new polymer for use in photovoltaic devices, an advance they say could “lead to a revolution in the way functional materials are discovered”.
- Virtually unlimited solar cell experimentson March 1, 2021 at 7:07 am
Osaka University researchers employed machine learning to design new polymers for use in photovoltaic devices. After virtually screening over 200,000 candidate materials, they synthesized one of the ...
- Global Organic Solar Cells (OSC) Market 2020 Industry Growth Analysis by Key Players, Segments, Competitive Landscape and Forecast to 2025on March 1, 2021 at 4:18 am
The report analyzes possible constraints of the market along with significant factors that are likely to promote the growth of the global Organic Solar Cells (OSC) market. The research incorporates an ...
- Plastic solar cells combine high-speed optical communication with indoor energy harvestingon February 24, 2021 at 4:00 pm
Around the world, there are currently more than 18 billion internet-connected mobile devices. In the next 10 years, anticipated growth in the internet of Things (IoT) and in machine-type communication ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
Organic solar cell
The Latest Bing News on:
- Singapore builds huge floating solar farm out at sea in bid to tackle climate crisis (cloned)on March 7, 2021 at 3:59 am
A growing push in Singapore to reduce the city-state’s greenhouse gas emissions and combat climate change has seen the country’s northern coast transformed into a sea of glimmering solar panels.
- Spacewalkers finish solar panel prep for station power booston March 6, 2021 at 9:53 pm
Spacewalking astronauts completed the first round of prep work Friday for new solar panels, part of a major power upgrade at the International Space Station. NASA’s Kate Rubins and Japan’s Soichi ...
- Astronauts complete second spacewalk preparing for ISS solar panel upgradeson March 6, 2021 at 8:49 am
A pair of astronauts aboard the ISS completed a difficult installation of struts that will hold new solar panel arrays on the outside of the ISS. The second spacewalk was conducted on March 5 and ...
- Astronauts finish solar panel prep for space station power booston March 5, 2021 at 7:17 pm
The equipment will support the first set of improved solar panels, due to arrive at the International Space Station in June.
- Points of Progress: Foldable solar cell breakthrough, and moreon March 5, 2021 at 6:15 pm
Researchers have developed foldable solar cells, paving the way for new solar-powered tech – plus more positive headlines.
- Spacewalking astronauts tackle stubborn struts to prime space station for new solar arrayson March 5, 2021 at 12:34 pm
Two astronauts finally wrapped up tricky solar array strut installations Friday (March 5) that stymied a previous set of spacewalkers just a few days before. Expedition 64 astronauts Kate Rubins of ...
- Solar panels: Should you buy or rent?on March 5, 2021 at 5:00 am
If you want to save money on your energy bills or work toward becoming carbon neutral, going with solar power might be right for you. Solar panels absorb sunlight and transform it into renewable ...
- Spacewalking astronauts tackle more solar panel advance workon March 5, 2021 at 4:56 am
For the second time this week, a pair of astronauts floated outside Friday to get the International Space Station ready for new solar panels. NASA’s Kate Rubins and Japan’s Soichi Noguchi headed ...
- Texas Outages Emphasize Need for Sustainable Energy and Rooftop Solaron March 4, 2021 at 3:13 pm
The recent power outages in Texas, as well as California and Puerto Rico, showcased our nation's need for a more resilient electrical grid in many regions. Grassroots advocacy groups are calling ...
- Plastic solar cells combine high-speed optical communication with indoor energy harvestingon March 3, 2021 at 5:06 am
In a new paper published in Light: Science & Applications, researchers from the University of Strathclyde and the University of St. Andrews have demonstrated a plastic solar panel that combines ...