Four solar homes built by students at Missouri University of Science and Technology will soon become home to an experimental microgrid to manage and store renewable energy.
The houses, all past entries into the Solar Decathlon design competition, make up the university’s Solar Village.
In its initial phase, the project involves Missouri S&T students and researchers, along with representatives from utility companies, the Army Corps of Engineers and several Missouri businesses. The goal is to demonstrate the feasibility of small-scale microgrids for future use.
“Distributed power generation is one of the key elements of a microgrid. In our case, we’re using solar panels,” says Dr. Mehdi Ferdowsi, associate professor of electrical and computer engineering at Missouri S&T. “It’s called a microgrid because it’s less dependent on the utility power grid. The idea is that if there is a blackout, it can operate in what we call ‘islanded mode,’ and convert to using stored solar energy.
“Utility companies are interested to see if this could be a viable business model for the future,” he says. “For example, they could rent out renewable energy generators to subdivisions, creating a new paradigm for selling electricity.”
Ferdowsi says that Missouri S&T’s Solar Village is an ideal place to test microgrid technology. “The four houses were built in a 10-year span of time and each was designed individually, but converting them to the technology is not complicated,” he says.
Students living in the solar houses will monitor the results. “We hope to demonstrate that the technology is expandable to many, based on these four houses,” he says. “The students will also demonstrate the human aspect of the project — how people interact with a new system of energy management.”
Components necessary for the project include batteries for energy storage, a power electronic converter, software and hardware.
Two lithium battery racks were donated by A123 Systems Inc. (now Wanxiang Group) in December. Ferdowsi estimates their combined worth at $75,000 to $100,000. “These batteries are very efficient, but they are super heavy with 8-foot-tall racks,” he says. “We hope to have them installed in a shed in the Solar Village by the end of summer, along with the converter.” The hardware and software would be located in the houses.
Photovoltaic (PV) arrays on the solar homes are designed to generate about 25 kilowatts of power. The donated batteries will provide 60 kilowatt hours of energy storage for the microgrid.
Researchers are now deciding which converter and intelligence system to purchase. “Security is also a factor — we want to be sure the system is hacker-proof,” says Ferdowsi.
Several Missouri S&T alumni serve on the advisory council that was created to guide the integration of microgrid components into the Solar Village, and to ensure the microgrid is designed for future expansions.
The Latest Bing News on:
- Kalbarri microgrid delayed again after cyclone Serojaon April 14, 2021 at 2:54 am
A long delayed microgrid to help power the town is facing yet another setback from the cyclone, in a major blow to traders and residents who were hit by ongoing blackouts before the weather event.
- California’s PG&E launches community microgrid programon April 13, 2021 at 2:15 pm
California's beleagured PG&E today launched the Community Microgrid Enablement Program in order to boost electrical resilience.
- Helping Customers and Hometowns: PG&E Lays Groundwork for Permanent, Multi-Customer Microgridson April 13, 2021 at 8:57 am
Community Microgrid Enablement Program to Improve Local Energy Resilience, Will Prioritize Disadvantaged Areas and Critical Facilities Through this new program approved by the California Public ...
- Microgrid Project Set To Insure Power Flow To Police, Fire Facilities On Amnicola Highway; Solar Is Integral Parton April 13, 2021 at 8:39 am
Officials said the new collaborative microgrid project "represents another major step forward in the city's ongoing commitment to public safety, emergency response, and resilience." The project aims ...
- Resilient Palisades Looks To Build Solar-Powered Microgridon April 12, 2021 at 1:04 pm
Microgrids have the potential to lower electricity bills, lower emissions, and prevent power outages in the community.
- Researchers Create A Wearable Microgrid That Is Powered By Your Sweaton April 12, 2021 at 10:39 am
The California-based startup has $23M in funding. A paper published in Nature Communications on March 9, 2020, highlighted a new wearable microgrid that would potentially allow the human body to power ...
- Adventist Health installs microgrid at rural center for power shutoffson April 9, 2021 at 2:24 pm
Adventist contracted Houston-based Engie North America to build the solar and microgrid project, which includes a 1 megawatt energy storage system, 425 kilowatts of solar photovoltaics and permanent ...
- Microgrid Market Research Update, Size Estimation, Future Scope, Revenue Opportunities and Regional Forecast to 2028, Fortune Business Insightson April 7, 2021 at 7:56 pm
The MarketWatch News Department was not involved in the creation of this content. Apr 07, 2021 (The Expresswire) -- The global microgrid market is likely to gain traction in the coming years due to ...
- Microgrid Market Share, High Demand, Future Scope, Recent Trends, Applications, Types, Products, Industry Analysis and Forecast Report 2027on April 6, 2021 at 5:54 am
(MENAFN - GetNews) The study methodologies used to examine the Microgrid market for the forecast period, 2020 - 2027 further classifies the industry by type, geography, end-use and end-user to add ...
- Concentric Power Tapped By Tasteful Selections For Intelligent 5.0-MW Microgrid In Californiaon April 5, 2021 at 6:12 pm
Concentric Power Inc., an energy technology company deploying intelligent microgrids throughout California, announced today that it has broken ground on a 5.0 MW microgrid for Tasteful Selections, a ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
Distributed power generation
- Flux Power Launches Next Generation M24 Lithium-ion Battery Pack for End Riders & Center Riderson April 14, 2021 at 5:08 am
today announced the launch of the next generation M24 lithium-ion battery pack. Designed to power end riders and center riders that are commonly used in warehouses and distribution centers, the M24 ...
- Pioneer Power Reveals Burgeoning Backlog with New Order in Excess of $1 Million for Distributed Generationon April 14, 2021 at 5:00 am
distribution and on-site power generation equipment, today announced that it is increasing its product footprint with one of the world's largest mass-market retailers with a new equipment order valued ...
- Canada is a solar power laggard, this expert sayson April 13, 2021 at 6:26 pm
Currently, part of the push in alternative energy involves the move from centralized to a more distributed picture of power generation, where solar panels, wind turbines and small modular nuclear ...
- 2 Stocks Building the Next Generation Energy Gridon April 13, 2021 at 5:16 am
The next-generation grid is a plan for an integrated system of reliable and clean power generation, transmission, and distribution. $100 billion of President Biden's $2 trillion infrastructure bill is ...
- Energy Solutions LP Is Exporting Crude Oil, LPG and Electricity Generationon April 12, 2021 at 9:12 am
The opportunity is especially beneficial in rural areas, where they are to use LPG mini power-plants, essentially enlarged generators of 2 to 40 MWh in size, which shall be custom configured with a ...
- A thermodynamic platform for evaluating the energy efficiency of combined power generation and desalination plantson April 7, 2021 at 5:00 pm
In seawater desalination, the energy efficiency of practical processes is expressed in kWh_electricity or low-grade-heat per m 3 of water produced, omitting the embedded energy quality underlying ...
- Stationary/Distributed Generation Projects - Non-DOE Projectson April 7, 2021 at 3:25 pm
In addition to the stationary/distributed generation technology validation projects sponsored ... and the fuel cell system will be able to provide power in the event of an electric power outage. UTC ...
- Framework could support more reliable electric power distribution systemson April 7, 2021 at 4:58 am
the distribution level generally does not have such standards. Most independent system operators (ISOs) ensure they have enough power generation reserve so that if an unexpected issue arises (e.g., ...
- Global Distributed Power Generation Market – Top Participant To Focus On Regional Expansionon April 6, 2021 at 5:56 am
Apr 06, 2021 (Market Insight Reports) -- New York, US, The business report released by Zion Market Research on Global Distributed Power Generation Market Research Report Covers, Future Trends, Size, ...
- Distributed Power Generation Systems Market Size, Share, Growth Prospects, Key Vendors, And Future Scenario Forecast By 2027on April 5, 2021 at 1:34 am
Global "Distributed Power Generation Systems Market" report provides key analysis on the market status of Distributed Power Generation Systems manufacturers with the best facts and figures, ...