For the first time, human embryonic stem cells have been transformed into nerve cells that helped mice regain the ability to learn and remember.
A study at UW-Madison is the first to show that human stem cells can successfully implant themselves in the brain and then heal neurological deficits, says senior author Su-Chun Zhang, a professor of neuroscience and neurology.
Once inside the mouse brain, the implanted stem cells formed two common, vital types of neurons, which communicate with the chemicals GABA or acetylcholine. “These two neuron types are involved in many kinds of human behavior, emotions, learning, memory, addiction and many other psychiatric issues,” says Zhang.
The human embryonic stem cells were cultured in the lab, using chemicals that are known to promote development into nerve cells — a field that Zhang has helped pioneer for 15 years. The mice were a special strain that do not reject transplants from other species.
After the transplant, the mice scored significantly better on common tests of learning and memory in mice. For example, they were more adept in the water maze test, which challenged them to remember the location of a hidden platform in a pool.
The study began with deliberate damage to a part of the brain that is involved in learning and memory.
Three measures were critical to success, says Zhang: location, timing and purity. “Developing brain cells get their signals from the tissue that they reside in, and the location in the brain we chose directed these cells to form both GABA and cholinergic neurons.”
The initial destruction was in an area called the medial septum, which connects to the hippocampus by GABA and cholinergic neurons. “This circuitry is fundamental to our ability to learn and remember,” says Zhang.
The transplanted cells, however, were placed in the hippocampus — a vital memory center — at the other end of those memory circuits. After the transferred cells were implanted, in response to chemical directions from the brain, they started to specialize and connect to the appropriate cells in the hippocampus.
The process is akin to removing a section of telephone cable, Zhang says. If you can find the correct route, you could wire the replacement from either end.
The Latest Bing News on:
Stem cell transplant
- Combination Regimens for Multiple Myeloma Show Efficacy in the Transplant-Ineligible Population, According to Dinglion February 26, 2021 at 11:37 am
David Dingli, MD, PhD, professor of Medicine at the Mayo Clinic, reviews the combination therapies available for the treatment of multiple myeloma in a patient who is 72-years-old and ...
- Total Body Irradiation Plus Etoposide Improves Survival in Select Transplant-Eligible Pediatric High-Risk ALLon February 25, 2021 at 2:33 pm
Total body irradiation plus etoposide prior to hematopoietic stem cell transplantation resulted in improved overall survival and a lower risk of relapse in pediatric patients with high-risk acute ...
- Clinical Haematology Deptt of SKIMS conducts Stem Cell transplanton February 25, 2021 at 1:36 pm
The Department of Clinical Haematology at SKIMS, Soura has performed a matched sibling Allogenic Stem Cell Transplant for a patient suffering from Refractory Blood Cancer As per the PRO SKIMS, the ...
- Wiskott Aldrich syndrome: healthcare utilizations and disparities in transplant careon February 25, 2021 at 6:10 am
Wiskott Aldrich syndrome (WAS) is a rare disease and hematopoietic stem cell transplant (HCT) is considered the treatment modality of choice for WAS. We conducted a cross-sectional analysis on the ...
- Pediatric Stem Cell Transplantation Expert and Industry Leader Dr. Joseph Rosenthal Joins Cell Source's Scientific Advisory Boardon February 25, 2021 at 3:40 am
Cell Source, Inc. (OTC: CLCS) ("Cell Source" or the "Company"), a developer of Veto Cell-based innovative immunotherapy technologies that facilitate mismatched donor stem cell (e.g. bone marrow) and ...
- Allogenic stem cell, bone marrow transplant for resistant blood cancer patient performed in SKIMSon February 25, 2021 at 2:05 am
The Department of Clinical Haematology at S K Institute of Medical Sciences (SKIMS) performed a matched sibling Allogenic Stem Cell, Bone Marrow Transplant for a patient suffering from Refractory ...
- The Challenge’s Ashley Cain Says Daughter’s Cancer Has Returned After Stem Cell Transplant: ‘Blindsided’on February 24, 2021 at 6:44 am
The Challenge’ alum Ashley Cain found out about daughter Azaylia’s relapse the day she left the hospital — details ...
- Autologous Stem Cell and Non-Stem Cell Based Therapies Market Research Report by Manufacturers, Region, Type and Application, Forecast to 2026on February 22, 2021 at 5:08 am
Feb (Heraldkeepers) -- Autologous stem-cell transplantation (also called autogenetic, autogenic, or autogenic stem-cell transplantation or ...
- The impact of graft cell source on bloodstream infection in the first 100 days after allogeneic hematopoietic cell transplantationon February 19, 2021 at 10:09 am
Bloodstream infection (BSI) is a major infectious complication after allogeneic hematopoietic cell transplantation (HCT). To clarify the impact of graft cell source on the incidence of BSI after ...
- Off-the-Shelf NK Immunotherapy With Chemotherapy and Transplant Shows Early Activity in B-Cell NHLon February 17, 2021 at 7:02 am
Cord blood–derived natural killer immunotherapy, when paired with high-dose chemotherapy and autologous stem cell transplant, showcased early antitumor activity in patients with B-cell non-Hodgkin ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
Stem cell transplant
The Latest Bing News on:
Regaining the ability to learn and remember
- The Aptera EV Gets Big Bucks, Inches One Step Closer to Productionon February 26, 2021 at 8:04 pm
Electric vehicle trike maker Aptera finally has what it needs to really get going: money. Last week the company announced it had closed on $4 million in Series A funding. “Aptera’s continued momentum ...
- COVID Has Dried Up Many Resources, But We’ll Always Find A Way To Help Our Communityon February 26, 2021 at 3:34 pm
If you’re interested in sharing your opinion on any cultural, political or personal topic, create an account here and check out our how-to post to learn more. ____ Turning Michigan blue this past ...
- Slowed by COID-19, rebuilding in Lee County continues two years after March 3 tornadoon February 26, 2021 at 1:30 pm
Two years after an EF-4 tornado ripped through Lee County, remnants of that day still remain. “Still to come out here two years later, you can tell something happened out here,” Rita Smith, Lee County ...
- Gov. Scott still eyeing April for full return to in-person learningon February 26, 2021 at 11:12 am
The governor touted a return to in-person education as an essential step for students, many of whom are reporting increased anxiety or loneliness during the pandemic.
- Brooke Shields on Recovering from Broken Femur: 'Every Day I Feel Like I'm Having to Begin Again'on February 26, 2021 at 8:55 am
Despite her injury, the actress, who is partnering with Colgate on its new Renewal toothpaste, is determined to stay positive — and smiling — on her road to recovery ...
- Study: Pre-Recorded Videos Prove More Effective for Student Learning Than In-Person Instructionon February 26, 2021 at 5:35 am
Pre-recorded videos usually lead to improved student learning, according to a recent study published in Review of Educational Research, a peer-reviewed journal of the American Educational Research ...
- Pigs can learn to manipulate joystick and react to video game screen, researchers sayon February 24, 2021 at 6:07 pm
Omelette, Hamlett, Ebony and Ivory, the pig subjects in a Purdue University study, were able to use a joystick to play a multilevel version of a game that loosely resembles Pong.
- What is the impact of music on our ability to understand? - studyon February 22, 2021 at 10:56 am
But Ariel University researchers are seeing music as a possible learning tool and asking some more in-depth questions: How does music affect our emotions, and how does it change our ability to learn?
- 4 Simple Techniques to Remember Everything You Learnon February 22, 2021 at 7:04 am
For a long time this was the predominant view of our ability to learn . That is, when we are young, our brains are in excellent learning condition, but as we age, it becomes increasingly difficult for ...
- How to Supercharge Your Ability to Learn Any New Subjecton February 18, 2021 at 4:00 am
In fact, with some adjustments, you can create something that approximates an immersion learning opportunity for yourself on any subject you want to learn. It requires a willingness to go deep rather ...