This is a great story about innovation, and is the first time an internal project at SAP became an external product
Today SAP releases GoTwo by SAP, a cloud-based carpooling application that promises to make ridesharing easier for corporate and municipal employees. What started as collaboration between two application developers ended up saving SAP employees time, money and gasoline–not to mention those pesky carbon emissions.
GoTwo is a game changer because it could transform the way commuters view and accept carpooling. Most carpooling match-maker schemes are quite tedious and are as much of a hassle to sort out as the actual mundane commute on a congested interstate. When I lived in the Bay Area, I remember calling the local transportation authority to get car-pooling resources. After my inquiry, I received a long list that read like a those hefty Cheesecake Factory or TGI Friday’s menus: and like them, nothing on those long lists had any appeal.
SAP’s combination of cloud computing, algorithms and experience developing enterprise software promises a huge shift. During a recent interview with SAP’s Chief Sustainability Officer, Peter Graf, he explained the program’s background and potential.
“The amount of waste commuters generate is enormous,” Graf said as we started our talk, and the numbers indeed are eyebrow-raising.
In the United States alone, the commuting statistics on any given day are as overwhelming as they are depressing. The average commuter spends $16 a day driving 32 miles round-trip for a total of 52 minutes. Tally up the 132 million or so commuters, and they spend $2.1 billion, spending 13,000 years to go 4.2 million miles–about the distance the planet Neptune is from the sun. The savings to commuters is obvious; but companies can also save money and resources while scoring additional productivity from their employees.
This is a great story about innovation, and is the first time an internal project at SAP became an external product.” – Peter Graf, SAP’s CSO
GoTwo first launched on July 4, 2011. SAP invited 20,000 employees to participate in the system and 8,500 responded. Since then, SAP employees have had access to over 36,000 carpools, and as a result, avoided driving over 400,000 miles, emitted 88 tons fewer tons of carbon and networked an additional 2,200 days with each other. And, according to Graf, SAP created over $5 million in additional value.
SAP’s engineers designed GoTwo to work from just about anywhere: the web as well as smartphones, and the system also integrates with email programs such as Outlook. Because GoTwo is cloud-based, a company’s IT department has little to do once the licensing agreement is inked. Graf insisted the system would be seamless enough for employees to enter their commuting habits and preferences.
But GoTwo will not simply be a passive ridesharing and matchmaking system. If anyone has ever “casually carpooled” in the Bay Area, for example, the bane of that scheme is getting a ride back home–there are often more carpool drivers in the morning than the evening. But if an employee suddenly needs a ride back home, Graf explained, finding a ride is about as simple as creating a calendar request: after a few clicks, possible rides appear, the employee selects the one most convenient, and then everyone traveling in that car together gets copied on the request. As is the case with any new software program, the challenge is adoption: so as soon as a new user joins the system, suggested rides appear immediately. Gamification and lottery options are also available if a company is aggressive about widening GoTwo’s adoption throughout the company.
The Latest Bing News on:
- These Are Top Ten California Companies Where Founder is CEOon June 24, 2021 at 12:13 pm
For our list of top ten California companies where the founder is the CEO, we have selected companies that are at least ten years old.
- Carpooling Software Market 2020 Predictable to Witness Sustainable Evolution | Uber Technologies, BlaBlaCar, Wunder Carpoolon June 24, 2021 at 8:49 am
A new business intelligence report released by Advance Market Analytics with title Global Carpooling Software Market Insights, forecast to 2027. This report provides a detailed overview of key ...
- The Death Of Car Ownership: This $30 Trillion Trend Could Kill The Auto Industryon June 21, 2021 at 4:25 am
Jun 21, 2021 (Baystreet.ca via COMTEX) -- We now officially live in a subscription economy... and it's worth trillions of dollars. The global live streaming ...
- The Death Of Car Ownership: This $30 Trillion Trend Could Kill The Auto Industryon June 20, 2021 at 4:34 pm
If other rideshare and delivery companies ... it provides videotelephony and online chat services through a cloud-based peer-to-peer software platform and is used for teleconferencing ...
- ALYI Publishes EV Rideshare Update With IQST, UN and Revolt Token Highlightson June 18, 2021 at 8:53 am
Alternet Systems, Inc. (USOTC: ALYI) today confirmed a scheduled update form ALYI's funding partner, RevoltTOKEN, to be published this Wednesday, June 23rd, 2021. RevoltTOKEN has opened the sale of ...
- Global Enterprise Performance Management Market (2021 to 2026) - Rising Need for Mobility to Implement a Flexible Work System Presents Opportunitieson June 17, 2021 at 3:01 am
For more information about this report visit https://www.researchandmarkets.com/r/w3n89g CONTACT: CONTACT: ResearchAndMarkets.com Laura Wood, Senior Press Manager ...
- SES Expands Cloud Leadership as Amazon Web Services Direct Connect Partneron June 17, 2021 at 12:14 am
This provides SES customers flexible, secure, reliable access to their cloud-based applications and services from virtually any location around the world. This is a major advantage to both enterprises ...
- D-Orbit unveils third mission for ION Satellite Carrieron May 31, 2021 at 4:59 pm
D-Orbit mission controllers will manage the mission and operate payloads through Aurora, the company’s cloud-based mission control ... plans to offer a dedicated rideshare mission, Transporter ...
- The Station: Rivian rolls towards an IPO and Quantumscape makes a big battery hireon May 31, 2021 at 11:20 am
Proceeds from the round will be exclusively allocated to new investments; seven have already been made, including into autonomous vehicle startup Gatik, cloud-based automotive retail platform ...
- Parking & Transportationon August 2, 2020 at 12:22 pm
You can now go online to update your Parking Account using the T2 Cloud based system. The system allows eligible ... Carpooler's must contact [email protected] to request an appointment. Carpool ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- Interview: Brad Smith on the club's form and carpooling with Kelyn Roweon June 30, 2021 at 5:11 pm
Seattle Sounders FC defender Brad Smith speaks to SoundersFC.com following training on the club's recent form, keeping the unbeaten streak alive and carpooling with Kelyn Rowe.
- Carpooling, delivery apps help residents find resourceson June 26, 2021 at 4:18 pm
Hyderabad: Not just friends, neighbours or volunteers, even carpooling and other delivery apps are coming to the rescue of people as these apps are he.
- Carpooling Software Market 2020 Predictable to Witness Sustainable Evolution | Uber Technologies, BlaBlaCar, Wunder Carpoolon June 24, 2021 at 8:54 am
A new business intelligence report released by Advance Market Analytics with title Global Carpooling Software Market Insights forecast to 2027 This report provides a detailed overview of key factors ...
- Three people are killed when their car crashes into a giant scythe attached to the back of tractor ‘at 125mph’ in Russiaon June 24, 2021 at 4:49 am
Student Eva Melnikova, 20, an unnamed passenger and the driver, 25, were killed in the horrifying crash between Kazan and Naberezhnye Chelny in the country's southwest. A video posted on YouTube ...
- Web Carpooling Platforms Market Research Report with Size, Share, Value, CAGR, Outlook, Analysis, Latest Updates, Data, and News 2020-2027on June 22, 2021 at 3:55 am
This report elaborates the market size, market characteristics, and market growth of the Web Carpooling Platforms ...
- 2-passenger limit for taxis, private-hire cars to be liftedon June 11, 2021 at 2:34 pm
Commercial carpooling services can also resume, the LTA added in its statement. All drivers and passengers must still wear masks at all times, said the LTA. "Taxi and PHC (private-hire car ...
- Taxis, private-hire cars can take more than two passengers from Monday: LTAon June 11, 2021 at 11:55 am
Commercial carpooling services can also resume, added LTA in its statement. All drivers and passengers must still wear masks at all times, said LTA. "Taxi and PHC (private-hire car) drivers should ...
- Private hitch driver offers passenger $500 to touch her thigh, $3,000 to touch her cheston June 10, 2021 at 11:28 pm
Private carpooling services may have been banned for more than a year due to the Covid-19 safety risk, but here's another reason why hitching a ride on a stranger's car may turn out to be more ...
- Carpooling Market 2021 Top Companies report covers are Uber,BlaBlaCar,Wunder Carpool,Karos,Carma,SPLT (Sp and Market Share, Demand Forecast to 2025on June 7, 2021 at 6:53 pm
Jun 08, 2021 (The Expresswire) -- “Carpooling Market“ Size, Status and Market Insights 2021, ,Carpooling Market By Type (Online Carpooling Platforms,App-based Carpooling,,), By Application ...