This is a great story about innovation, and is the first time an internal project at SAP became an external product
Today SAP releases GoTwo by SAP, a cloud-based carpooling application that promises to make ridesharing easier for corporate and municipal employees. What started as collaboration between two application developers ended up saving SAP employees time, money and gasoline–not to mention those pesky carbon emissions.
GoTwo is a game changer because it could transform the way commuters view and accept carpooling. Most carpooling match-maker schemes are quite tedious and are as much of a hassle to sort out as the actual mundane commute on a congested interstate. When I lived in the Bay Area, I remember calling the local transportation authority to get car-pooling resources. After my inquiry, I received a long list that read like a those hefty Cheesecake Factory or TGI Friday’s menus: and like them, nothing on those long lists had any appeal.
SAP’s combination of cloud computing, algorithms and experience developing enterprise software promises a huge shift. During a recent interview with SAP’s Chief Sustainability Officer, Peter Graf, he explained the program’s background and potential.
“The amount of waste commuters generate is enormous,” Graf said as we started our talk, and the numbers indeed are eyebrow-raising.
In the United States alone, the commuting statistics on any given day are as overwhelming as they are depressing. The average commuter spends $16 a day driving 32 miles round-trip for a total of 52 minutes. Tally up the 132 million or so commuters, and they spend $2.1 billion, spending 13,000 years to go 4.2 million miles–about the distance the planet Neptune is from the sun. The savings to commuters is obvious; but companies can also save money and resources while scoring additional productivity from their employees.
This is a great story about innovation, and is the first time an internal project at SAP became an external product.” – Peter Graf, SAP’s CSO
GoTwo first launched on July 4, 2011. SAP invited 20,000 employees to participate in the system and 8,500 responded. Since then, SAP employees have had access to over 36,000 carpools, and as a result, avoided driving over 400,000 miles, emitted 88 tons fewer tons of carbon and networked an additional 2,200 days with each other. And, according to Graf, SAP created over $5 million in additional value.
SAP’s engineers designed GoTwo to work from just about anywhere: the web as well as smartphones, and the system also integrates with email programs such as Outlook. Because GoTwo is cloud-based, a company’s IT department has little to do once the licensing agreement is inked. Graf insisted the system would be seamless enough for employees to enter their commuting habits and preferences.
But GoTwo will not simply be a passive ridesharing and matchmaking system. If anyone has ever “casually carpooled” in the Bay Area, for example, the bane of that scheme is getting a ride back home–there are often more carpool drivers in the morning than the evening. But if an employee suddenly needs a ride back home, Graf explained, finding a ride is about as simple as creating a calendar request: after a few clicks, possible rides appear, the employee selects the one most convenient, and then everyone traveling in that car together gets copied on the request. As is the case with any new software program, the challenge is adoption: so as soon as a new user joins the system, suggested rides appear immediately. Gamification and lottery options are also available if a company is aggressive about widening GoTwo’s adoption throughout the company.
The Latest Bing News on:
- Startup offers telematics minus 'Big Brother approach'on August 5, 2022 at 6:30 am
Traditionally a lot of telematics or camera-type products have been purchased by the insurance company at great expense for the fleet owner, or pushed out to the consumer or driver,” Galadanci ...
- Travel tech startup Spotnana hits the spot with new fundingon July 26, 2022 at 9:00 pm
With US$75 million more in its war chest, corporate travel tech platform Spotnana is ramping up development of its “travel-as-a-service” portal.
- My day using MARTA Reach, aka the local Uber of public transiton July 25, 2022 at 6:07 pm
Like the vast majority of Atlantans, I don’t live in walking distance to a MARTA train, a useability issue that transit experts refer to as the “first-mile/last-mile problem.” To address that problem, ...
- The best Android apps in 2022on July 21, 2022 at 6:00 am
So whether you're looking for a rideshare, the closest biking path ... bringing to the table excellent swipe-based input. Like many software keyboard apps, this release learns from your typing ...
- “We Want To Make Accommodation As The Centre Point Of A Lot Of Future Innovations At Goibibo”: Ashish Kashyap, Ibiboon July 18, 2022 at 5:00 pm
[Quick note about Djubo : Djubo is a one-stop 360 degree cloud-based solution for hotels ... The recent launch of carpooling app, Ryde is yet another effort towards solving pain points in the ...
- Hillicon Valley — Statewide candidates fuel election security concernson July 14, 2022 at 8:49 pm
More than 500 female passengers have filed a lawsuit against U.S.-based rideshare transportation service ... a security engineer from the Alibaba Cloud Security team in China first reported ...
- The Campaign to Fight Ozone Has Heated Up This Summeron July 13, 2022 at 10:11 pm
Welcome to summer in Denver: hot days, cool nights and electronic billboards advertising ozone action alerts (like the one currently in effect), urging people to combine car trips and carpool if ...
- Extra Crunch Partner Perkson January 18, 2020 at 10:09 am
Aircall is a cloud-based phone system that can help satisfy ... There are some impressive reward multipliers across categories like rideshare, travel, and restaurants. It also comes with $50,000 ...
- Shared Mobility Startup Loca Bags Its First Round of Funding From Stellaris, Fosun, Otherson October 23, 2019 at 7:23 am
China-based Fosun RZ Capital and a group of individuals including Aprameya Radhakrishna, cofounder of Taxiforsure, Mayank Bidawatka, cofounder of Vokal and Rohit MA cofounder of Cloud Nine.
- Why You Should Set Resolutions For Your Businesson January 17, 2019 at 5:04 am
For us, these goals prompted team members to set goals that included learning a new language, increasing LinkedIn connections and creating a company-wide carpooling system. Invest A Little Time To ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- Carpooling and insurance: What you need to knowon August 5, 2022 at 3:12 pm
Most insurance policies have limitations that could result in the repudiation of a claim if you are not complying with the contract.
- Bus driver shortage forces district to remove dozens of bus routes, parents’ concerns growon August 4, 2022 at 1:24 am
Comal Independent School District parents have resorted to carpooling each other’s children in response to the district removing dozens of bus routes.
- Carpooling bill proposes discounts on fuel, parkingon August 3, 2022 at 8:06 pm
A pending House bill proposes incentives for motorists engaged in carpooling, such as discounts on fuel, parking, and toll fees.
- Lawmaker aims to encourage Carpooling with perks and discountson August 2, 2022 at 11:31 pm
Coding' exemption, gas discounts, and reduced parking fees are just some of the benefits of proposed Carpool Incentives Bill ...
- Carpooling / Ridesharing – A Key to Offset Soaring Fuel Costson August 1, 2022 at 3:47 am
By Arshad Ali The global economy, still reeling from the COVID-19 pandemic and Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, is facing an increasingly gloomy and ...
- Man carpooling with bong arrested in Grand Island, according to policeon July 29, 2022 at 4:47 am
The Grand Island Police Department says a driver blew a stop sign early Friday morning, and the list of charges grew from there. He was pulled over near East 16th and North Oak Streets, where we’re ...
- Carpooling is Convenient and Risky, Here's What You Need to Knowon July 4, 2022 at 10:33 pm
While carpooling is technically illegal, long queues for a bus ride that exposes them to COVID-19 are a bigger concern for commuters who on weekdays dodge getting sick while hoping to book a Grab ...
- 5 Carpooling Apps to Help You Save Money on Transportationon July 4, 2022 at 2:00 am
Now, if you need to get around, carpooling is a way to save at the gas pump — or the electric car charging station. We’ve rounded up the best apps for carpooling, whether you’re catching an ...
- Carpooling Market 2022 Size, Share, Growth Factors, Emerging Trend, Competitive Analysis, Insights and Forecast till 2027on June 28, 2022 at 1:53 am
Jun 28, 2022 (The Expresswire) -- Latest research on the Global Carpooling Market (2022-2027): Growth Outlook, Size and Share Analysis The Carpooling market report provides a comprehensive ...
- Carpooling Is Back! UberX Share Launches In Cities Across The U.S.on June 25, 2022 at 1:45 am
Remember the times of sharing an Uber ride with a complete stranger? Well, they’re back! It may seem like it was forever ago, but shared rides are back again with UberX Share. Starting this week rides ...