This is a great story about innovation, and is the first time an internal project at SAP became an external product
Today SAP releases GoTwo by SAP, a cloud-based carpooling application that promises to make ridesharing easier for corporate and municipal employees. What started as collaboration between two application developers ended up saving SAP employees time, money and gasoline–not to mention those pesky carbon emissions.
GoTwo is a game changer because it could transform the way commuters view and accept carpooling. Most carpooling match-maker schemes are quite tedious and are as much of a hassle to sort out as the actual mundane commute on a congested interstate. When I lived in the Bay Area, I remember calling the local transportation authority to get car-pooling resources. After my inquiry, I received a long list that read like a those hefty Cheesecake Factory or TGI Friday’s menus: and like them, nothing on those long lists had any appeal.
SAP’s combination of cloud computing, algorithms and experience developing enterprise software promises a huge shift. During a recent interview with SAP’s Chief Sustainability Officer, Peter Graf, he explained the program’s background and potential.
“The amount of waste commuters generate is enormous,” Graf said as we started our talk, and the numbers indeed are eyebrow-raising.
In the United States alone, the commuting statistics on any given day are as overwhelming as they are depressing. The average commuter spends $16 a day driving 32 miles round-trip for a total of 52 minutes. Tally up the 132 million or so commuters, and they spend $2.1 billion, spending 13,000 years to go 4.2 million miles–about the distance the planet Neptune is from the sun. The savings to commuters is obvious; but companies can also save money and resources while scoring additional productivity from their employees.
This is a great story about innovation, and is the first time an internal project at SAP became an external product.” – Peter Graf, SAP’s CSO
GoTwo first launched on July 4, 2011. SAP invited 20,000 employees to participate in the system and 8,500 responded. Since then, SAP employees have had access to over 36,000 carpools, and as a result, avoided driving over 400,000 miles, emitted 88 tons fewer tons of carbon and networked an additional 2,200 days with each other. And, according to Graf, SAP created over $5 million in additional value.
SAP’s engineers designed GoTwo to work from just about anywhere: the web as well as smartphones, and the system also integrates with email programs such as Outlook. Because GoTwo is cloud-based, a company’s IT department has little to do once the licensing agreement is inked. Graf insisted the system would be seamless enough for employees to enter their commuting habits and preferences.
But GoTwo will not simply be a passive ridesharing and matchmaking system. If anyone has ever “casually carpooled” in the Bay Area, for example, the bane of that scheme is getting a ride back home–there are often more carpool drivers in the morning than the evening. But if an employee suddenly needs a ride back home, Graf explained, finding a ride is about as simple as creating a calendar request: after a few clicks, possible rides appear, the employee selects the one most convenient, and then everyone traveling in that car together gets copied on the request. As is the case with any new software program, the challenge is adoption: so as soon as a new user joins the system, suggested rides appear immediately. Gamification and lottery options are also available if a company is aggressive about widening GoTwo’s adoption throughout the company.
The Latest Bing News on:
- Dunham prepares for return to Pendletonon February 25, 2021 at 3:35 pm
Kellen Dunham recently shared a carpool with Troy Taylor and Tyler Smith-Johnson, three former Madison County basketball stars who are now teammates in the fledgling Hoosier Hardwood Basketball ...
- Buckle Adds Crash Risk Data from TNEDICCA to Auto Insurance Underwriting for Better, Fair Rates for TNC Driverson February 24, 2021 at 5:05 am
Buckle champions for gig drivers by utilizing non-traditional data sources from TNEDICCA to fairly underwrite auto policies at better rates.
- Supreme Court refuses to hear a GOP election case from Pennsylvaniaon February 22, 2021 at 12:11 pm
The Supreme Court dealt a post-election defeat Monday to Republican officials in Pennsylvania by refusing to hear their appeal of state court rulings that allowed for the counting of mail ballots that ...
- Owlcam. Life Is Always On. See It All.on February 19, 2021 at 1:49 pm
Because the world never stops, and life comes at you fast. The good, the bad, and the unexpected alike. Close calls, fender benders, or carpool karaoke. Blink and you will miss it. Owlcam looks out ...
- Taking Data out of the Data Center to Build Customer-Facing Solutions in Healthcareon February 18, 2021 at 8:56 pm
Taking Data out of the Data Center to Build Customer-Facing Solutions in Healthcare By Dave Henderson, CIO, Millennium Health - The current transformation in information technology can be thought of ...
- Kia And Hyundai Suffer IT Outage Hurting Dealers And Owners, Deny Reports Of $30 Million Ransomware Attackon February 18, 2021 at 12:29 pm
Kia and Hyundai are having an IT nightmare as a U.S. systems outage has affected internal and customer-facing services. Reports that Kia denies, meanwhile, suggest that the larger company is embroiled ...
- Q&A with Patientco CEO Bird Blitchon February 16, 2021 at 7:59 pm
Patientco CEO Bird Blitch discusses pandemic topics including ways in which COVID-19 unveiled the inefficiencies and patient frustrations of the U.S. healthcare system and healthcare providers who ...
- Carpooling Software Market is set to see Revolutionary growth in decade | Uber Technologies, BlaBlaCar, Wunder Carpoolon February 4, 2021 at 11:06 pm
The carpooling software connects car owners/drivers ... Integrated), Deployment (Cloud-based, On-premise), Payment Method (Wallet, Credit/Debit Card, Cash) Chapter 2, objective of the study.
- SpaceX’s rideshare carried small satellite technology of interest to U.S. militaryon January 26, 2021 at 1:44 pm
Among the 143 satellites on Transporter-1 were technology demonstrations and payloads of interest to the U.S. military, including satellite components, in-space laser communications and remote sensing ...
- Solutions to global warmingon August 16, 2020 at 11:02 am
How to stop global warming? Global warming is likely to be the greatest threat of the 21st century. Find out its causes and effects, but most importantly the solutions to prevent climate change. The ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- Health officials investigate COVID-19 cluster among cleaning service workerson February 26, 2021 at 9:03 am
The Maui News The state Department of Health is investigating two COVID outbreaks connected to residential and commercial cleaning services, including one cluster of 20 cases in Maui County. “All ...
- Carpooling may have been a factor in COVID clusters at cleaning serviceson February 25, 2021 at 6:18 pm
The state Department of Health is investigating two COVID-19 clusters involving cleaning service companies on Oahu and Maui. The cluster on Maui resulted in 20 cases, including 16 individuals who were ...
- State puts brakes on truckers at Epping park and rideon February 25, 2021 at 6:00 pm
New Hampshire’s park-and-ride lots were supposed to encourage commuter carpooling to cut transportation costs and ease traffic congestion, but in recent years the one in Epping looked more like a ...
- Lawmakers renew push to allow undocumented immigrants to obtain Massachusetts driver’s licenseson February 24, 2021 at 4:14 am
State Rep. Tricia Farley-Bouvier, lead sponsor of the legislation, said allowing migrants to drive instead of carpooling or taking mass transit would protect them, their families and the public ...
- Shair Takes Over the Carpooling Industry by Elevating and Innovating the Business Modelon February 23, 2021 at 9:18 pm
© 2021 Insider Inc. and finanzen.net GmbH (Imprint). All rights reserved. Registration on or use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service and ...
- Shair Takes Over the Carpooling Industry by Elevating and Innovating the Business Modelon February 23, 2021 at 2:20 pm
COSTA MESA, CA / ACCESSWIRE / February 23, 2021 / Car sharing has steadily grown in popularity over the last few years due to its convenience for drivers and the added income stream for owners. SHAiR ...
- Bills would reserve highway lane for cars with more than one personon February 23, 2021 at 4:56 am
GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. — Efforts are underway to bring designated carpooling lanes to some Michigan freeways, a concept that picked up speed in the 1970s and has expanded to several states.
- Man provided unlawful carpooling services during circuit breakeron February 15, 2021 at 2:24 pm
In the first case of its kind, a man has been convicted of providing unlawful carpooling services during the circuit breaker last year.. Read more at straitstimes.com.
- Sales rep provided illegal carpooling services during circuit breakeron February 15, 2021 at 2:00 pm
In the first case of its kind, a man has been convicted of providing unlawful carpooling services during the circuit breaker (CB) last year. Ng Chiang Huat, now 54, was caught after he picked up two ...
- Man admits to providing unlawful carpooling services during Covid-19 circuit breakeron February 15, 2021 at 2:16 am
Ng Chiang Huat was caught after he picked up two "passengers" who were LTA officers.. Read more at straitstimes.com.