The work has potential in next-generation high-speed communication and biomedical imaging
Researchers at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee (UWM) have found a new mechanism to transmit light through optical fibers. Their discovery marks the first practical application of a Nobel-Prize-winning phenomenon that was proposed in 1958.
Assistant Professor Arash Mafi and doctoral student Salman Karbasi harnessed “Anderson localization” to create an optical fiber with a strong scattering mechanism that traps the beam of light as it traverses the fiber. The work was done in collaboration with Karl Koch, a scientist with Corning Inc.
Data transmission through conventional optical fibers – in which only one spatial channel of light traverses the fiber – is the backbone of the Internet. Such single-core fibers, however, are reaching the limits of their information-carrying capacity, says Mafi.
Propagation of multiple optical beams in a single strand of optical fiber is a sought-after solution to overcome this limitation. The collaboration’s novel discovery achieves this.
The work has potential in next-generation high-speed communication and biomedical imaging, but it also opens the door for more uses of “Anderson localization” in technology.
“Anderson localization” is named after physicist Philip W. Anderson, who first theoretically observed the curious containment of electrons in a highly disordered medium, an observation for which he shared the 1977 Nobel Prize in physics, but one that is still under investigation.
Mafi and Karbasi’s fiber design consists of two randomly distributed materials, which scatter the photons.
The fiber’s disordered interior causes a beam of light traveling through it to freeze laterally. The output light can follow any shift in the location of the entry point as it moves around on the cross-section of the fiber.
Karbasi says his theoretical calculations indicated that the proper fiber design would take advantage of Anderson localization. “We designed our fiber so that it provides more physical places where the light can propagate,” says Karbasi.
The Latest Bing News on:
- A Secured and Reliable Continuous Transmission Scheme in Cognitive HARQ-aided Internet of Thingson April 20, 2021 at 9:26 pm
The Internet of Things (IoT) is considered a key enabler for a wide range of smart applications. In IoT, a large number of heterogeneous devices form an ad hoc connection with each other. Ad hoc ...
- Aiming for the clouds: Marines modernizing data transmission capabilitieson April 19, 2021 at 4:49 am
Since 2008, the Very Small Aperture Terminal has been the Marine Corps’ most recent and reliable tool for transmitting information between two geographically separated locations. Like ...
- Data Protection Bill:IEBC could see their election data & transmission servers hosted in the countryon April 14, 2021 at 12:14 pm
meanwhile, the independent electoral and boundaries commission could see their election data and transmission servers hosted in the country if data protection regulations proposed by the ministry of ...
- Aiming for the clouds: 9th Comm. Bn and CCPO lead the way in modernizing data transmission capabilitieson April 13, 2021 at 7:07 am
Since 2008, the Very Small Aperture Terminal has been the Marine Corps’ most recent and reliable tool for transmitting information between two geographically separated locations. Like many ...
- Google collects 20x More Data Than Apple According To Researcheron March 31, 2021 at 12:10 pm
Both mobile operating systems collect data 24/7 even when idle. This data transmission sent by the OSes begins as early as when a user sets up their device and inserts a SIM card. It even happens ...
- FDA undertaking ‘unprecedented’ data infrastructure modernization during the pandemicon March 30, 2021 at 12:15 pm
which was never really designed for pandemic-scale data transmission,” she said during AFCEA Bethesda‘s Health IT Summit on Tuesday. COVID-19 tests were the first diagnostic used to track the virus’ ...
- Latest from Lightingon March 29, 2021 at 5:00 pm
Stage lighting and special-effect applications use long-haul data transmission networks of up to 1200 m length to provide communication between hundreds of network nodes that control lighting ...
- Automated alignment of optical fibers reduces errors and cost in photonic chip productionon March 25, 2021 at 5:00 pm
In today's society, the need for data transmission is growing exponentially. Photonic chips show great potential for energy-efficient data transmission with high bandwidth. These chips are relying ...
- DICT supports Open Access in Data Transmission Acton March 24, 2021 at 2:27 am
QUEZON CITY, Mar. 24 -- The Department of Information and Communications Technology (DICT) expresses its support to House Bill 8901 or the Open Access in Data Transmission Act, following its approval ...
- Isro demonstrates technology for quantum encrypted data transmissionon March 23, 2021 at 2:53 am
This experiment can form the basis for a future quantum key encrypted data transmission between satellites and ground stations. A satellite-based quantum encrypted communication can be used to ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- Rogers Communications Reports First Quarter 2021 Resultson April 21, 2021 at 4:02 am
Strong execution in Wireless, Cable, and Media deliver solid operational improvements despite continued pandemic lockdown environment Grew Media revenue by 7%, adjusted EBITDA improved by 31%, ...
- All Hoosiers set to potentially gain access to high-speed internet serviceon April 20, 2021 at 4:30 pm
The state of Indiana is poised to become a matchmaker of sorts for Hoosier residents and businesses lacking access to high-speed internet service and companies looking to provide it.
- Boosting fiber optics communications with advanced quantum-enhanced receiveron April 20, 2021 at 9:59 am
Fiber optic technology is the holy grail of high-speed, long-distance telecommunications. Still, with the continuing exponential growth of internet traffic, researchers are warning of a capacity ...
- Europe High Speed Connector Industry to 2027 - Increasing Developments in Network Services Presents Opportunitieson April 20, 2021 at 9:22 am
The "Europe High Speed Connector Market Forecast to 2027 - COVID-19 Impact and Regional Analysis By Product and Application" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering. According to ...
- New York State Mandates $15-Per-Month High-Speed Interneton April 20, 2021 at 9:11 am
Fifteen dollars a month is New York state's newly mandated price for a high-speed Internet connection for qualified low-income households under a new law signed last week by Gov. Andrew Cuomo.
- Global Visible Light Communication Technology Market: 2021 Analysis Report, Share, Trends, Overview 2021-2027on April 20, 2021 at 7:31 am
Visible light communication VLC is an emerging technology that seeks to enable high speed Internet access primarily in indoor environments and operates on the principle of intensity modulation of ...
- WARPSPACE Aims to Commercialize World's First Intersatellite Optical Communication Networkon April 20, 2021 at 7:05 am
Tsukuba City, Ibaraki, WARPSPACE Co., Ltd., has announced that it has closed Series A round with additional funding of 400M JPY (3.6M USD).
- Li-Fi Enabled Communication System Market 2021: Global Industry Analysis Report to 2027on April 20, 2021 at 12:48 am
Li Fi is a wireless communication system that uses visible light as a radio wave medium for sending and receiving data This communication system leverages the potential of the visible light spectrum ...
- Shawnee Communications bringing broadbandon April 19, 2021 at 11:00 pm
Foot by foot and road by road, Shawnee Communications continues to bring broadband internet services to rural locations in Saline County and elsewhere.
- 6G technology: Domestic trio working on tomorrow's mobile communicationson April 19, 2021 at 9:00 pm
With an eye on future mobile communications standards, a European consortium is working on the next generation of antennas for wireless networks. Austria is clearly represented with NXP, Technikon and ...