Compared with standard portable generators, CO emissions from the prototype machines were reduced by 90 percent or more
Portable electric generators retrofitted with off-the-shelf hardware by the University of Alabama (UA) emitted significantly lower levels of carbon monoxide (CO) exhaust, according to the results* of tests conducted by the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) for the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC).
Compared with standard portable generators, CO emissions from the prototype machines were reduced by 90 percent or more, depending on the specific hardware used and operating conditions.
According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), unintentional CO poisoning claims more than 400 lives a year. More than 20,000 people visit the emergency room and more than 4,000 are hospitalized due to exposure to toxic levels of the colorless, odorless gas. Fatality is highest among people 65 and older.
Many of these deaths and illnesses stem from unsafe use of portable generators, often in the aftermath of devastating storms and other causes of electric power outages. For the years 2005 to 2008, the CPSC reports that an estimated 37 to 47 percent of non-fire-related consumer product-related CO poisoning deaths were associated with generators.
The tests performed by NIST compared two commercially available gasoline-powered generators against two similar machines that UA retrofitted with closed-loop electronic fuel injection and a small catalyst. Tests were conducted at NIST’s manufactured test home, with the generator operating in the attached garage so as to simulate some common scenarios that often result in deaths or injuries.
In one series of comparisons, generators operated three or more hours in the garage with the garage bay door open and the entry to the house closed. For the stock generator tested, CO levels in the garage peaked at 1,500 parts per million (ppm,which are equivalent to microliters per liter) and inside the house ranged between 150 and 200 ppm.
Clinical symptoms of CO poisoning, including headaches, nausea, and disordered thinking, begin appearing at exposure levels of 100 ppm after at least 90 minutes exposure. During the NIST tests, emissions from the prototype generators ranged from 20 to 30 ppm in the open garage and from 5 to 10 ppm in the house.
CPSC staff conducted health effects modeling using NIST’s test results, as part of CPSC’s technology demonstration program of the prototype generator, to show that its engine’s reduced CO emission rate is expected to result in fewer deaths by significantly delaying the onset and rate of progression of CO poisoning symptoms compared to the stock generator.
On the basis of results of findings from NIST’s two earlier studies,** the CDC advises to never run a generator less than 20 feet from an open window, door, or vent where exhaust can vent into an enclosed area. Steven Emmerich, the lead NIST researcher, reminds that generators should always be operated outdoors, far from open windows. “Tragically, fatalities and injuries occur every year,” he says. “We hope our research in support of CPSC’s efforts to develop and demonstrate a low CO emission generator using existing emission control technology will contribute to practical safety improvements that will help to reduce this toll.”
The Latest Bing News on:
Portable electric generators
- Safety tips when using a generatoron January 24, 2022 at 6:23 pm
Power outages are common in the winter due to high winds and ice – the Valley has seen it firsthand. Generators can be helpful in these instances when used correctly.
- Asian portable power leader EcoFlow plans to foray into Indian market to mitigate energy shortageon January 23, 2022 at 8:27 pm
An industry-leading portable power and renewable energy solutions company, EcoFlow has presented its ambition to enter in the Indian terrain. With its new expansion plan, the company aims at providing ...
- Review: Generark HomePower 2 Battery Backup Power Station + Generark Solar Generatoron January 22, 2022 at 8:35 am
Worried about power outages? Generark's HomePower 2 is a high capacity portable battery power station with four AC outlets and the ability to run high-demand appliances including heaters and ...
- Cold temps heat up interest in portable generatorson January 20, 2022 at 8:37 pm
The chilly temperatures are hardly the winter storm of 2021, but they bring back reminders of power outages and misery. So, as the thermometer drops, interest in portable home generators is heating up ...
- Clean Battery Generators From Dory Power for Indoor Backup of Home Furnace and Applianceson January 20, 2022 at 10:00 am
While the gas/diesel generators are polluting, noisy, and only for outdoor uses, Dory Power company, an innovative manufacturer located in Cleveland, Ohio, produces portable battery generators to ...
- GM Working on Hydrogen-Powered Generators to Make EV Charging Portableon January 20, 2022 at 6:00 am
The emission-free generators use GM's Hydrotec hydrogen technology, and the goal is to have 500 in place around the U.S. by 2026.
- North America Portable Generators Market worth $3.1 billion by 2028, Says GMIon January 20, 2022 at 4:30 am
North America Portable Generators Industry is anticipated to witness over 6.5% CAGR between 2022 and 2028 due to increasing demand for uninterrupted power supply along with the flourishing residential ...
- Best portable power station 2022: Emergency power when you need iton January 13, 2022 at 1:47 pm
Portable power stations have an advantage over traditional generators, in that they don't require gasoline, kerosene, or propane to run. This not only saves you money and time spent on engine ...
- Doosan Portable Power introduces new generator rangeon January 13, 2022 at 5:24 am
Doosan Portable Power has introduced a new range of small generator models for Middle East and Africa markets. The new range, which will sit alongside the new LVL portable light tower recently ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
Portable electric generators
The Latest Bing News on:
CO emissions reduction
- Suffolk County Council publishes first carbon emissions 'budget'on January 25, 2022 at 2:58 am
A local authority has published it first carbon "budget" to monitor its pledge to be a net-zero carbon producer by 2030. Suffolk County Council declared a climate emergency in 2019 and aimed to cut ...
- Breeding Sustainability – Aviagen illustrates CO2 reduction contribution to Global Poultry Industryon January 24, 2022 at 12:40 pm
Aviagen ® addresses this question through “Breeding Sustainability.” Sustainable poultry breeding contributes to a decrease in carbon emissions through a continuous improvement in biological ...
- Forest emissions scheme makes 'tiny' contribution to Indonesia's Paris targetson January 24, 2022 at 12:00 pm
More than 70 million tons of carbon were prevented from being released into the atmosphere under a deforestation emissions reduction ... to Paris pledges" was co-authored with Dr. Charles Palmer ...
- How REI Co-op Is Tackling the Critical Issue of Climate Change Both Internally and Externallyon January 24, 2022 at 10:18 am
"For us to have an impact, it will take multiple players coming to the table, having tough conversations," REI Co-op director of sustainability Matt Thurston told FN.
- CO2-1-0 (CARBON) CORP AND PT MEGA HYDRO ENERGI SIGN AGREEMENT TO COOPERATE IN INNOVATIVE CARBON EMISSION REDUCTION PROGRAMon January 24, 2022 at 5:35 am
PHI Group, Inc., a holding company currently engaged in PHILUX Global Funds, the Asia Diamond Exchange project in Vietnam, mergers and acquisitions and investing in special situations, is pleased to ...
- Guest column: Port of Hueneme needs to commit to a zero emissions policyon January 23, 2022 at 5:13 pm
Our community needs a tangible commitment for a pollution-free Port of Hueneme before we see more plans for expansion.
- Environmental Caucus priorities include emissions reduction, sustainable ag, Red Hillon January 23, 2022 at 10:18 am
The Hawaiʻi State Legislature’s Environmental Legislative Caucus is entering its third year with policy proposals that aim to address the state’s pressing environmental issues. The package includes an ...
- How can zero-emissions shipping be commercially viable?on January 19, 2022 at 12:40 pm
An earlier transition will allow more gradual changes, thereby reducing the risk of significant disruptions of the sector and of asset stranding,” the report said.
- Tri-State power company strikes deal to cut carbon emissions faster than plannedon January 19, 2022 at 12:38 pm
The Westminster-based electricity wholesaler to rural co-op utilites struck a deal with 24 parties to get greener sooner.
- Kloeckner & Co To Meet Net Zero Emissions By 2040on January 11, 2022 at 11:25 pm
German steel and metal distributor Kloeckner & Co SE (KCO) Wednesday said it is already carbon neutral, and it commits to ambitious climate targets. The company aims for net zero emissions by 2040.