An innovative new oil-drilling tool concept has seen the light of day.
The tool is being developed by scientists at SINTEF Petroleum Research, and it has characteristics that will enable it to take on a number of different tasks. One of these is to bring up oil from small oil-filled pockets that lie close to large fields on the continental shelf. Although any single pocket may seem to be insignificant, taken together they hold very valuable quantities of oil.
Extra set of teeth
The most important characteristic of the newly developed mole is very visible; it has one “row of teeth” more than other drilling tools.
Although the equipment as such is still on the drawing board, the researchers have used a 12 metre-long model of an oil-well to show how it will work by recreating the imprints – spiral grooves – that the extra teeth would leave in the wall of the well.
These grooves are the reason for the expectations that surround the new tool.
Oil-well with branches
Tests in the well model have shown that the grooves improve the efficiency of cleaning out the wellbore; i.e. the removal of drilling cuttings. Project manager Jan David Ytrehus of SINTEF explains that this offers a number of potential benefits:
“We believe that the new tool will make it easier to drill branches from existing wells out to nearby pockets of oil.”
Just how the cleaning of the “mole” can be utilised to achieve this is described below. But first, a little petroleum geology:
The oil-bearing strata on the Norwegian shelf probably contain many thousands of small oil-filled pockets, and reservoir experts believe that we have just as much oil left out there as we have produced from all the major discovered fields together.
“If we explore and drill in the traditional manner, many small reservoirs will remain unprofitable and undisturbed. But if we can drill across to some more of them from existing wells, costs will be significantly reduced, and such “dwarf” reservoir close to the giants will become worth exploiting,” says Ytrehus, adding: “This will be a very efficient way of enhancing oil recovery rates.”
Equal to several sovereign wealth funds
One of Norway’s experts in petroleum research who is very interested in small unexploited reservoirs is Hans Borge, who directs the Department of Petroleum Technology at the University of Stavanger. Borge believes that the Norwegian continental shelf houses anywhere between 1000 and 100 000 pockets of hydrocarbons.
According to Borge, the greatest challenge lies in knowing exactly where these small deposits are to be found. He also points out that combined exploration and production wells will usually be a sensible strategy for Norway to adopt in the hunt for pockets of oil.
“Suppose that there are 10 000 such pockets. If we conservatively assume a price of USD 60 per barrel, these contain oil worth NOK 20 000 billion. Now that would be come to several “sovereign wealth funds”! But using traditional technology, it would easily need NOK 20 000 billion to produce that oil. And that is simply not realistic.
The department head estimates that one per cent of the pockets lie less than one kilometre from a reservoir from which we are already producing hydrocarbons.
“A single percentage may not sound like much, but there is good reason to believe that in that one per cent of pockets lies oil worth several hundred billion kroner. And no matter which Norwegian oil-field you are on, there will always be small unexploited reservoirs in the vicinity,” says Borge.
Teeth all around the drill-bit
If the new drilling tool meets the expectations raised by the laboratory results, Ytrehus believes that we could envisage drilling out to pockets up to a kilometre from current wells, if not even further.
But why should this new drilling tool be able to drill its way onwards from existing wells? And why is it difficult to do this using traditional equipment?
The Latest Bing News on:
Promising drilling tool
- A tale of two metals will determine the future of energyon February 24, 2024 at 8:00 am
Nickel and copper have long been recognized as vital components of a decarbonized economy. The former helps to cram energy into the lithium-ion batteries used in electric vehicles and grid-scale power ...
- SPT Announces Strategic Partnership with Apex Group to Expand Its Footprint in the United Stateson February 23, 2024 at 8:00 am
The collaboration introduces GyroMaster™, GyroScout™, and Polestar Aligner among other premium tools into Apex Group's robust catalog, promising to revolutionize ... survey tools and alignment ...
- Key drilling under way to assess size of ‘highly promising’ Africa playon February 20, 2024 at 7:43 pm
As well as the Ntchengue play, Perenco's appraisal well is targeting the deeper Madiela carbonate reservoir which the privately-owned company said is "highly promising". The current well is being ...
- Metals One releases promising diamond drilling resultson February 12, 2024 at 4:23 am
(Sharecast News) - Metals One released promising laboratory results on Monday, from its recent diamond drilling campaign at the R1 Hook target within the Rauta 9-11 licence area at the Black ...
- Antipa Minerals ‘hits the ground running’ for 2024 with promising gold results from diamond drilling at Minyari Domeon February 5, 2024 at 3:01 pm
- Hosting for Chiefs vs. 49ers? These Customer-Loved Amazon Products Will Clean Your Home Faston February 4, 2024 at 7:00 pm
One reviewer even wrote, "I recently acquired a drill brush, and it has proven to be a versatile cleaning tool that I can't ... then seemed like a beautiful, promising ‘after.' ...
- 'First of all you must be patient, then you need spatial memory': The man behind the puzzle that 99% can't solveon January 31, 2024 at 1:43 am
In 1975, the Hungarian academic Ernő Rubik applied for a patent on his invention. Little did he know that his ingenious teaching tool would become a global phenomenon.
- The Reason Why Milwaukee Power Tool Batteries Are So Expensiveon November 19, 2023 at 2:27 am
A drill, saw, or other tool from a brand like Milwaukee doesn ... There's also a lot of promising research into things like solid state batteries, and other battery compositions, which should ...
- Got a Home Reno Project? These 10 New Tools Will Make It Easyon October 12, 2023 at 2:00 am
Most utilitarian items are deceptively basic and boring, but not the reno tools listed below. Whether you’re a first-time DIYer looking to grow your toolkit or are a seasoned crafter ready to make ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
Promising drilling tool
[google_news title=”” keyword=”Promising drilling tool” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
The Latest Bing News on:
- China’s Brisk Oil Buying After Holiday Raises Demand Hopeson February 25, 2024 at 8:52 pm
Connecting decision makers to a dynamic network of information, people and ideas, Bloomberg quickly and accurately delivers business and financial information, news and insight around the world ...
- Oil extends losses in early Asian tradeon February 25, 2024 at 5:49 pm
Oil prices fell in early Asian trading on Monday, extending losses from the previous session after oil ended the week 2-3% lower amid market concerns that higher-than-expected inflation could delay U.
- Environmentalists celebrate surrender of offshore oil permits in B.C.on February 24, 2024 at 2:00 am
Environmental groups that have been fighting for the end of offshore oil and gas development in B.C. are celebrating victory after the federal government announced the last remaining permits for ...
- U.S. Oil Drilling Sees 6-Rig Gainon February 23, 2024 at 10:13 am
The total number of active drilling rigs for oil and gas in the United States rose this week, according to new data that Baker Hughes published on Friday.
- Why Oil & Gas Exploration Company Enerplus Shares Are Surging Premarket Todayon February 22, 2024 at 6:02 am
Enerplus seals $11 billion merger deal with Chord Energy, representing 90% stock and 10% cash consideration. The combined entity anticipates $150 million in annual synergies, targeting over $750 ...
- 5 Undervalued Oil & Gas - Exploration and Production Stocks for Wednesday, February 21on February 21, 2024 at 5:50 am
Discover the top 5 undervalued Oil & Gas - Exploration and Production stocks for Wednesday, February 21 based on AAII’s Stock Grades.
- 7 Undervalued Oil & Gas - Exploration and Production Stocks for Monday, February 19on February 19, 2024 at 6:37 am
Discover the top 7 undervalued Oil & Gas - Exploration and Production stocks for Monday, February 19 based on AAII’s Stock Grades.
- Brentwood moves to ban any future drilling or production of oil and gason February 14, 2024 at 2:28 pm
Brentwood has moved forward with banning any oil or gas drilling in two built-out parts of its city close to sensitive areas such as homes, parks, daycares and preschools. Although there are no ...
- Oil industry, green groups challenge Biden offshore drilling planon February 13, 2024 at 8:48 am
Feb 12 (Reuters) - Oil and gas companies and environmental groups on Monday filed dueling legal challenges to the Biden administration's five-year plan to offer drilling leases in the Gulf of Mexico.
- Biden admin hit with legal challenge over historic restrictions on offshore oil drillingon February 12, 2024 at 3:32 pm
The Biden administration was hit with a legal challenge Monday by a major fossil fuel industry group in response to its plans restricting oil and gas leasing.
The Latest Google Headlines on:
[google_news title=”” keyword=”oil exploration” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]