A fish parasite with a needle-like nose that pierces the intestines of its host has inspired a revolutionary medical invention that could replace surgical staples now used to hold skin grafts in place and close serious wounds.
“When we started looking into the parasite literature, we quickly stumbled upon worms and, in particular, this spiny-headed worm that has a needle-like proboscis [nose] that inserts in the intestine of fish … and only the needles swell, so it kind of mechanically locks into place,” said Karp, describing a freshwater-fish parasite called Pomphorhynchus laevis, whose swelling and locking needle-nose design gave his team a model for the new and improved surgical bandage with unique adhesive properties.
Karp’s prototype, a microneedle-lined bandage that plumps up when exposed to water, locks painlessly into the patient’s subdermal tissue and adheres 3-and-a-half times more strongly than any clinical bandage now in use.
The elongated microneedle tips, made with a rigid plastic core, attach to stiff plastic inner and outer layers of highly absorbent material that is similar to the inside of a disposable diaper. When wet, the needles form a mechanical bond with the tissue.
The microneedle patch is also designed to eliminate two specific problems with surgery involving skin-grafts.
According to Karp, who consulted with Dr. Bo Pomahac, head of face transplant surgery at Brigham and Women’s, when conventional staples hold skin grafts in place, they can produce holes 2-to-3 times larger than the width of the staple itself, allowing for potentially harmful bacterial infections. The grafts, Karp says, are also susceptible to filling with accumulated fluids, which can prevent healing.
“Instead of using staples,” Karp said, “we would apply a microneedle patch directly on top of the skin graft that will push down to the underlying tissue and essentially lock that graft in place.”
Karp also envisions impregnating microneedle patches with antibiotics and other drugs that would infuse slowly into wounds, helping to keep them clean and quick-healing. Researchers are attempting to develop a microneedle patch that can be used to help seal, and heal, internal organs following surgery.
The Latest Bing News on:
- Grimes Posts A Photo At A Plastic Surgeon That Looks Like She Might Have Gotten Her Elf Ear Implantson September 18, 2022 at 12:04 pm
Well, based on a photograph that Grimes posted to Twitter on Saturday, it seems as though she might have found a plastic surgery clinic that she was comfortable enough with to have them give her those ...
- Grimes Completes New Album After Possibly Undergoing Elf Ears Surgeryon September 18, 2022 at 10:46 am
She reveals her upcoming album may be split into two installments: Book 1 and Book 2. Grimes Completes New Album After Possibly Undergoing Elf Ears Surgery ...
- Grimes fans are convinced she has had elf ear surgery after latest photoon September 18, 2022 at 6:50 am
Grimes has posted a new photo on social media that has led fans to believe she has undergone. Last month, the artist had tweeted about wanting to get vampire teeth and elf ears, writing: “Does anyone ...
- Goodnight Mommy (2022) Ending Explained - Who Is Behind the Bandages?on September 16, 2022 at 6:30 pm
The following contains spoilers for both the original 2014 version of the film, as well as the 2022 remake of Goodnight Mommy. Proceed with caution.
- Naomi Watts, ‘Goodnight Mommy’ Team on How They Navigated Those Bandages on Set and Used Them to Up the Film’s Tensionon September 16, 2022 at 3:30 pm
"Each take is a different take and even as planned as you make it, something can happen. Some scenes were a lot more difficult than others because of that," Watts says.
- Naomi Watts helps reimagine a nightmarish Austrian thrilleron September 16, 2022 at 8:33 am
The 2014 film from directors Veronika Franz and Severin Fiala about twin boys who start to suspect that their mother, covered in surgical bandages, is not really their mother had achieved a kind of ...
- ‘Goodnight Mommy’ Review: Naomi Watts Has Twin Trouble in Amazon Do-Overon September 15, 2022 at 9:46 am
Well, maybe not the face exactly — as in the original, her head is obscured by surgical bandages for reasons that aren’t immediately made clear. Few remakes feel truly necessary, but English ...
- Bandages Market Gain Impetus Due To The Growing Demand Over 2028 | 3M, Medtronic, Derma Sciences Incon September 14, 2022 at 7:30 am
The market of medical bandages is expected to grow at a significant pace owing to growing number of surgical procedures and increase in medical causalities. According to Journal of Diabetes ...
- DrySee Launches Patented Waterproof Bandage with Wetness Indicatoron September 8, 2022 at 11:28 am
DrySee’s mission is to provide bandage solutions that allow patients to live their lives confidently after surgery. The DrySee team saw a need in the medical industry for a more secure and ...
- Jared Kushner seen with bandage on neck following second operation as family enjoys Sunday outingon September 6, 2022 at 2:19 pm
Jared Kushner took the family out for a Labor Day weekend boat ride in Miami and was seen with a bandage on his beck following an operation for thyroid cancer.
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- Laminating Adhesives Market Size Worth $4.35 Billion by 2028 - Exclusive Report by Facts & Factorson September 16, 2022 at 12:12 pm
Pages Report] According to Facts and Factors, the Global Laminating Adhesives Market size was valued at around USD 3.12 billion in 2021 and is estimated to grow about USD 4.35 billion by 2028, at a ...
- Global Self-Adhesive Label Market 2022 Segmentation, Demand, Growth, Trend, Opportunity And Forecast To 2024on September 15, 2022 at 8:20 pm
Self-Adhesive Label Market. Global Self-Adhesive Label Market: Food & Beverage Industry to Remain Largest End-user through 2024. PUNE, MAHARASHTRA, INDIA, ...
- The Worldwide Electronic Adhesives Industry is Expected to Reach $6.1 Billion by 2027on September 15, 2022 at 10:30 am
Resin (Epoxy, Silicone, Acrylic), End-Use Industry (Communications, Computers, Consumer Electronics, Industrial, Medical), Product Type and Region - Forecast to 2027" report has been added to ...
- The Global Surgical Sealants and Adhesives Market to Show Positive Growth at a CAGR of 7.58% During the Forecast Period (2022–2027) | DelveInsighton September 15, 2022 at 10:01 am
The surgical sealants and adhesives market is expected to grow due to the rising prevalence of chronic health issues such as cardiovascular disease, kidney disease, neurological issues, and others.
- Medical Tape and Bandage Market Expected to Reach at a Value of US$ 5.4 Bn by 2025 | Market.uson September 14, 2022 at 5:15 am
Prudour Pvt. Ltd –:Medical tape is a type of adhesive tape that is used to hold dressings in place or to secure IV catheters and other medical devices. Bandages, on the other hand, are used to cover ...
- Non-woven Adhesives for Medical Market Size and Growth Comprehend by Product Revenue, Growth Rate, Production Capacity Analysis and Forecast to 2028on September 13, 2022 at 4:45 am
Sep 13, 2022 (The Expresswire) -- "Final Report will add the analysis of the impact of COVID-19 on this industry." Global “Non-woven Adhesives for ...
- Global Electronic Adhesives Market (2022 to 2027) - Regulations on Usage of Lead Soldering Materials Presents Opportunitieson September 9, 2022 at 2:53 am
The "Global Electronic Adhesives Market by Form (Liquid, Paste, Solid), Resin (Epoxy, Silicone, Acrylic), End-Use Industry (Communications, Computers, Consumer Electronics, Industrial, Medical), ...
- Medical Adhesive Tapes Market Size-Share 2022, Analysis by Manufacturers, Competitive Landscape, Future Growth, Strategy and Forecast to 2028on September 8, 2022 at 3:29 am
Medical Breathable Non-woven Tape Medical Breathable PE Tape Medical Rayon Tape Easy-tear Non-woven Cloth Tape Zinc Oxide Adhesive Cloth Tape Waterproof Zinc Oxide Adhesive Cloth Tape Others Detailed ...
- Global Medical Adhesives & Sealants Growth Opportunitieson September 6, 2022 at 5:54 am
Medical adhesives and sealants play a vital role in dental applications, bonding and sealing of medical devices, instruments, aids, and equipment, and internal and external medical applications.New ...
- Medical Adhesives Market Expected to Reach US ~$16.35 Billion and CAGR 7.3% by 2030 – Polaris Market Researchon August 25, 2022 at 10:53 pm
Recently published 110+ pages research report by Polaris Market Research titled Medical Adhesives Market 2022: By Types, Applications, Size, Share, Key Players & Regions Forecast Analysis till ...