NASA wants to grab a small asteroid and tow it into orbit around the moon, as part of a long-range plan towards establishing permanent manned outposts in space, according to a US senator.
To get the project off the ground, US President Barack Obama will propose around $100 million for the US space agency in his 2014 budget, which he submits to Congress on Wednesday, Senator Bill Nelson said in a statement.
“This is part of what will be a much broader program,” the Florida Democrat explained.
“The plan combines the science of mining an asteroid, along with developing ways to deflect one, along with providing a place to develop ways we can go to Mars.”
The plan calls for a robotic-spacecraft to capture the asteroid and tow it back towards Earth, ultimately leaving it in a stable orbit around the moon, close enough that, within eight years, astronauts could head on over.
A similar plan was initially proposed in 2012 by experts at the California Institute of Technology, and the group, along with other top researchers in the field, have since prepared a detailed study into the project’s feasibility.
“It would be mankind’s first attempt at modifying the heavens to enable the permanent settlement of humans in space,” scientists said in their report.
Obama’s goal of sending a manned mission to a near-Earth asteroid by 2025 is impossible given NASA’s current and projected funding levels, expert analysis has suggested.
But using an unmanned vehicle to instead bring a 500-ton asteroid close to home could change the game and get humans to an asteroid as early as 2021, four years ahead of the deadline.
The Latest Bing News on:
Tow an asteroid to the moon
- Wavering NASA lander detects biggest Mars quake yet, even as dust drains its energyon May 10, 2022 at 3:07 pm
InSight landed on Mars with a seismometer in tow in 2018 ... and more like the moon's crust — broken up from asteroid impacts — than Earth's. The quakes have also revealed that Mars has ...
- Wavering NASA lander detects biggest Mars quake yet, even as dust drains its energyon May 10, 2022 at 3:05 pm
NASA's InSight lander is fighting a layer of Mars dust that's covering its solar panels and causing a power shortage. Still, it made a big discovery.
- Massive asteroid 2.5X bigger than Statue of Unity makes ‘close approach’ this weekon May 10, 2022 at 10:04 am
A massive nearly asteroid with a nearly half a kilometre diameter is speeding ... READ | What is NASA's CAPSTONE mission and its importance for moon study Like us on Facebook to see similar stories ...
- The Full Moon May 2022 falls on a Lunar Eclipse, meaning fate is taking over—here's what the Scorpio Moon means for your star signon May 10, 2022 at 5:54 am
Full Moon May 2022 is arriving with a Lunar Eclipse in tow, meaning fate is about to take the wheel. Here's what that means for your sign ...
- 2 big asteroids whiz past Earth in the next week. No, they definitely won't hit us.on May 4, 2022 at 10:00 am
There are two asteroids making very safe flybys of Earth in the coming days. Despite what you may have read in media reports, no one is issuing any warnings about asteroids 2009 JF1 or 467460 (2006 ...
- WEB EXTRA: NASA Preparing Spacecraft To Orbit Asteroidon April 12, 2022 at 9:52 am
A metal-rich asteroid orbiting the sun between Mars and ... 9 hours ago Elderly Driver Accidently Drives Into Storefront Of Margate BusinessA tow truck could be seen pulling a white car out ...
- US budget has NASA planning to capture an asteroid, USAF reviving DSCOVR (video)on April 10, 2022 at 5:00 pm
The ambitious mission to rendezvous, capture and redirect a small asteroid to Earth-moon space could not be accomplished without solar electric propulsion technology. This technology also will ...
- SHOCKING! This dangerous asteroid will be closer to Earth than Moon, says NASA! Will it hit?on April 5, 2022 at 10:41 pm
NASA: In a shocking development, it has been revealed that an asteroid will get closer to Earth than even the Moon. NASA has revealed the terrifying truth. In recent times, the incidents of asteroids ...
- NASA identifies three potential asteroids for captureon July 23, 2021 at 10:21 am
After launch of the robotic mission, the journey to the asteroid would take a year and a half, and the act of towing it toward the moon could take another three and a half years, NASA said.
- Watch a meteor showeron November 26, 2017 at 5:47 am
The Geminids, named after the constellation Gemini the Twins, are remnants of a near earth asteroid, not an icy comet ... Watson will have several high powered telescopes in tow Friday night to point ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
Tow an asteroid to the moon
The Latest Bing News on:
- The science of becoming "interplanetary": How can humans live on Saturn's moons?on May 15, 2022 at 2:49 am
Welcome back to our ongoing "Interplanetary Series." In our previous installments, we looked at what it would take to live on Mercury, Venus, the Moon, Mars, the Main Asteroid Belt, and Jupiter's ...
- Spacecraft crash into asteroid at 15K mph is not self-indulgent NASA experiment, writes TOM LEONARDon May 12, 2022 at 4:49 pm
Launched in June last year aboard one of Elon Musk's SpaceX Falcon 9 rockets from an air force base in California, Dart will target a tiny 'moonlet', or small moon, just 530ft wide called Dimorphos, ...
- Inside Nasa plot to smash 15,000mph spaceship into asteroid that ‘could SAVE future of mankind’on May 12, 2022 at 4:24 am
On November 24, 2021, it launched aboard a SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket from Vandenberg Air Force Base, California. DART will reach the binary near-Earth asteroid Didymos around nine months later ...
- Inside Nasa plot to smash 15,000mph spaceship into asteroid that ‘could SAVE future of mankind’on May 12, 2022 at 4:04 am
A GROUNDBREAKING Nasa spacecraft is on a suicide mission that could save the future of mankind. The Double Asteroid Redirection Test (DART) Mission will dramatically smash into an asteroid ...
- Mining the moon to help save life on Earth (op-ed)on May 10, 2022 at 3:00 am
Moving heavy industry off Earth could help cure some of what ails our planet. Lewis Pinault is a partner at Airbus Ventures, where he invests and serves as board director for space technology related ...
- Electrostatic repulsion may be lofting small rocks off the asteroid Bennuon May 9, 2022 at 7:01 pm
Bennu is a small asteroid, only a little over 500 meters wide. It’s shaped like two cones stuck together base-to-base. It’s not a solid rock but is instead a rubble pile, like a bag of rocks ...
- Electrostatic repulsion may be lofting small rocks off the asteroid Bennuon May 9, 2022 at 6:00 am
Bennu is a small asteroid, only a little over 500 meters wide. It’s shaped like two cones stuck together base-to-base. It’s not a solid rock but is instead a rubble pile, like a bag of rocks held ...
- Thrilling space events in 2022: NASA's megarocket, meteor showers and moreon April 16, 2022 at 5:11 am
It's an unprecedented test, to see if they can push an asteroid off its natural course ... a lunar-circling base that will support astronauts while on long-term expeditions to the moon.