Scientists today reported a discovery that could speed an emerging effort to replace ethanol in gasoline with a substantially better fuel additive called butanol, which some experts regard as “the gasoline of the future.” Their report on this discovery, which holds potential to reduce the costs of converting ethanol factories to production of butanol, came at the 245th National Meeting & Exposition of the American Chemical Society, the world’s largest scientific society.
Duncan Wass explained that ethanol has become a leading biofuel — millions of gallons added to gasoline around the country each year — despite several disadvantages. Ethanol, for instance, has a lower energy content per gallon than gasoline, which can reduce fuel mileage. Ethanol also has a corrosive effect on car engines and can’t easily be used in amounts higher than 10-15 percent.
“Ethanol actually is a poor alternative fuel,” Wass said. “Butanol is much better. It contains about 30 percent more energy per gallon than ethanol, is easier to handle and more of it can be blended into each gallon of gasoline. In fact, you could fuel a car on pure butanol and it would run absolutely fine. That’s the basis for butanol’s emerging reputation as ‘the gasoline of the future.’”
Efforts already have begun to convert some ethanol factories in the Corn Belt to production of butanol, Wass explained. Those factories currently process corn into alcohol with the same fermentation technology used to make beer and beverage alcohol. Converting those factories to ferment corn into butanol would require costly modifications, estimated at $10 million-$15 million for a typical plant.
Wass and his group at the University of Bristol in the U.K. are reporting the discovery of a new family of catalysts that could enable those factories to continue producing ethanol, with the ethanol then converted into butanol. With the catalysts, ethanol factories would require less retrofitting to produce butanol. Catalysts speed up chemical reactions by lowering the amount of energy needed need to jumpstart reactions. They enable production of hundreds of everyday products, and many of the proteins that sustain life are catalysts called enzymes.
Their report was part of a symposium on renewable fuels and catalysts. Abstracts of other presentations appear below.
“These new catalysts are much better than any previously in existence,” Wass said. “There’s a long way to go before they are commercialized, but we are reporting a fundamental advance in that direction. Quite simply, they are the world’s best catalysts for making the gasoline of the future.”
The Latest Bing News on:
- Reduced-nicotine cigarettes make anxious smokers smoke lesson November 26, 2022 at 8:20 pm
Prior studies suggest that lowering nicotine levels could aid smokers in quitting, but there is little proof that these regulations would be harmful to those who already suffer from affective ...
- Bio-based Butanol Market : Research Report Provides an In-Depth Insight of Trends 2022 To 2028on November 24, 2022 at 9:20 am
Nov 24, 2022 (The Expresswire) -- "Bio-based Butanol Market" Research Report gives detailed facts with consideration to market size, cost revenue, ...
- Tert-Butanol(75-65-0) Market 2022 Statistics, Share Price, Growth Prospects, Industry Trends till 2028on November 23, 2022 at 2:57 am
According to this latest study, In 2022 the growth of Tert-Butanol(75-65-0) Market is projected to reach Multimillion USD by 2028, In comparison to 2021, Over the next Seven years ...
- Transparency Market Research: Ultra-High-Purity Anhydrous Hydrogen Chloride (HCl) Gas Market to Reach US$ 1.2 Bn by 2031: TMR Studyon November 16, 2022 at 6:37 am
Rising demand for ultra-high purity anhydrous HCl gas for purifying silicon via trichlorosilane (SiHCl3) is likely to fuel growth of the global Ultra-High-Purity Anhydrous Hydrogen Chloride (HCl) Gas ...
- Ultra-High-Purity Anhydrous Hydrogen Chloride (HCl) Gas Market to Reach US$ 1.2 Bn by 2031: TMR Studyon November 16, 2022 at 6:31 am
In 2021, the global Ultra-High-Purity Anhydrous Hydrogen Chloride (HCl) Gas Market size was valued at US$ 0.7 Bn. Sales forecast ...
- Lincoln University to co-lead yeast researchon November 15, 2022 at 2:22 am
Lincoln University is partnering with several institutions of higher education around the country to investigate properties of yeast.
- Reduced-Nicotine Cigarettes May Reduce Smoking in Anxious, Depressed Smokerson November 11, 2022 at 2:18 pm
Decreasing the amount of nicotine in cigarettes to non-addictive levels may reduce smoking without worsening mental health in smokers with mood or anxiety disorders. This is according to new research ...
- Aliphatic Solvents Market Estimated to Reach Value of US $ 3.34Bn by 2030: TMR Studyon November 8, 2022 at 8:00 am
The last decade has witnessed rapid urbanization, especially in developing economies. With more population sections moving from rural areas ...
- Celtic Renewables wins industry sustainability awardon November 7, 2022 at 1:07 am
Celtic Renewables has built the first biorefinery in the country where it produces high-value low-carbon sustainable chemicals – acetone, butanol and ethanol – from biological residues, including the ...
- Meet the Indian scientist that turns food waste into high valued chemicalson November 6, 2022 at 2:07 am
Dr Kiran Mahale, an Indian scientist from the University of Southern Queensland refuses to waste food, so he turns them into high valued chemicals.
The Latest Google Headlines on:
[google_news title=”” keyword=”butanol” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
The Latest Bing News on:
- Xcel Will Give Customers a Break Next Month, Then Ramp Up Gas Billson November 27, 2022 at 5:20 am
Earthjustice, an environmental law nonprofit, represented the Southwest Energy Efficiency Project in opposing the plan, arguing that the company needed to analyze non-pipeline alternatives further and ...
- The EPA Finds That E15 Fuel Is Dangerous for 2001 Model Cars and Olderon November 26, 2022 at 2:51 pm
Here's a look at the danger and safety risks of using E15 fuel in cars from the 2001 model year or older. The post The EPA Finds That E15 Fuel Is Dangerous for 2001 Model Cars and Older appeared first ...
- Norwalk landscapers: Banning gas leaf blowers would be less efficient and more expensiveon November 26, 2022 at 9:03 am
Some local landscapers say a proposal to ban gas-powered leaf blowers in the city would be impractical and cost prohibitive to switch to electric equipment. The Common Council’s Ordinance Committee ...
- Which European Renewable Energy Alternatives Will Dominate In The Long Term?on November 25, 2022 at 12:15 pm
European energy policy has shifted more dramatically over the last two years than it has in the previous two decades.
- Investigating whether biodiesel is truly a viable alternativeon November 25, 2022 at 10:30 am
Is biodiesel truly a viable and sustainable alternative to diesel fuels derived from fossil fuels? Writing in the International Journal of Design Engineering, a team from India investigates and comes ...
- EDITORIAL: An alternative to Biden’s destructive energy agendaon November 24, 2022 at 9:00 pm
President Joe Biden in his efforts to curry favor with progressive greens, has been outspoken in his animosity for the nation’s energy producers. He has vowed to put oil and gas companies out of ...
- Israeli lab ‘explodes’ mice tumors using gas, in possible alternative to surgeryon November 24, 2022 at 3:37 am
Bloodstream injected with minuscule gas bubbles which scientists ‘detonate’ using ultrasound, so that they rip through cancerous tumor; method described in peer-reviewed study ...
- Motorsports Are Turning To Alternative Fuelson November 21, 2022 at 4:00 pm
As a result, many motorsports are beginning to explore the use of alternative fuels in order to reduce their impact on the environment. Historically, motorsports have paid little heed to things ...
- A-1 Alternative Fuel Systems, Ideanomics to build two zero-emission fuel cell electric shuttle buseson November 21, 2022 at 6:27 am
Ideanomics ( Nasdaq: IDEX ), a global company focused on accelerating the commercial adoption of electric vehicles ( EV ), today announces that its subsidiary U.S. Hybrid joined a consortium led by ...
- We have to keep investing in oil and gas until there is viable alternative: IEF SGon November 18, 2022 at 12:36 am
Joseph McMonigle of the International Energy Forum discusses oil and gas investments. Got a confidential news tip? We want to hear from you. Sign up for free newsletters and get more CNBC delivered to ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
[google_news title=”” keyword=”gasoline alternative” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]