“It’s much better if you test the process as it is working.”
On a hot summer day, nothing spells refreshment quite like a slice of juicy, orange cantaloupe. But in summer 2011, cantaloupes reached plates with an unwanted addition: listeria. In the deadliest foodborne illness outbreak since 1925, cantaloupes contaminated with this bacterium killed 33 people.
Unfortunately, cantaloupes weren’t the end of the story. A year later, listeria tainted another well-loved American staple: cheese. This time the bacteria killed four people. If the contamination had been detected before the food arrived on plates, these deaths could have been prevented.
A few months from now, a Boston-based start-up company will market a test kit that will do just that: detect this deadly bacterium in the processing plant, before it reaches the grocery store. They’ve used the tools of synthetic biology to create this novel, rapid test for Listeria contamination.
Scheduled for launch in July, the test developed by Sample6 Technologies provides results in three to four hours, compared to 16 and 48 hours for current assays for bacterial contamination.
The lag time built into existing tests forces companies that deal in perishable foods to make a tough choice between waiting for results or shipping potentially unsafe food.
“The faster you can get results, the closer to real time, the better off you are,” said Will Daniels, senior vice president of Earthbound Farms. His company grows and packages organic salads and other produce. Daniels said Earthbound Farms is currently working with Sample6 to employ the more rapid test.
“It means that you could actually be testing while you’re producing products and have the results before you ship it out. That’s huge.”
The Latest Bing News on:
- For 4th year in a row, Gujarat proves excellence in food safetyon June 24, 2022 at 7:33 pm
For 4th year in a row, Gujarat proves excellence in food safety: Saturday, 25 June, 2022, 08 : 00 AM [IST] Kimberley Fernandes, Mumbai: Tamil Nadu stood at first place, Gujarat at ...
- Berks food safety inspections: Evidence of rodent activity at 1 out-of-compliance restauranton June 24, 2022 at 4:04 am
Reading, Muhlenberg Township and the rest of the county. Reading and Muhlenberg Township have their own inspectors and the rest of the county is inspected by Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture ...
- Eat Right Challenge Phase II: Food safety officers in Indore collect samples of dairy productson June 23, 2022 at 11:15 am
Excited at being No. 1 in the ‘Eat Right Challenge’ across the country, Indore’s food safety officers have pulled up their socks for the ‘Eat Right Challenge for Districts (Phase II) and started ...
- Vietnamese street food café rated one star for food hygiene ordered to improve safetyon June 19, 2022 at 9:00 pm
A café serving Vietnamese street food food has been told to make major improvement following a safety inspection. Viet Bistro, on Redcar High Street, was only given a rating of one on a sliding scale ...
- Qatar Attends Meeting Of Undersecretaries Of Ministries Concerned With Food Safetyon June 19, 2022 at 8:22 pm
The sixth meeting of undersecretaries of the ministries concerned with food safety kicked off yesterday at the Secretariat-General of the Gulf Co ...
- National Food Safety Policy launched, FORSEP committee inaugurated to commemorate 2022 World Food Safety Dayon June 17, 2022 at 5:49 am
Ghana has officially launched and inaugurated its National Food Safety Policy and National Food Safety Emergency Response Plan Committee, respectively to commemorate the 2022 World Food Safety Day on ...
- World Food Safety Dayon June 15, 2022 at 6:42 pm
The sage has contended that: you are what you eat. This may probably explain why in 2018, the United Nations General Assembly established World Food ...
- Food Safety Monitoring System Market Trends, Size, Equity, Growth, Top Players, Development Strategies, to 2028on June 14, 2022 at 10:44 pm
Food Safety Monitoring System Market” provides manufacturing cost structure analysis, latest developments, growth opportunities, sales by type and applications. Also, the Food Safety Monitoring System ...
- WHO wants food safety made a priority by member countries around the worldon June 14, 2022 at 9:00 pm
The World Health Organization wants its member governments to make food safety a public health priority, as they play a pivotal role in developing ...
- Food safety index: How is it calculated and which states topped the charts?on June 14, 2022 at 2:29 am
The FSSAI said the index aimed to encourage states to improve their performance and work to establish a proper food safety ecosystem.
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- Biotech Says It Can Program Life To Make New Stuff. Is That True?on June 24, 2022 at 9:29 am
Biotechnology has matured to the point where scientists increasingly regard living cells as programmable, but not everyone agrees with using that term.
- Antheia gets funding to build biomanufacturing planton June 23, 2022 at 7:50 am
Antheia, a U.S. synthetic biology company enabling next-generation plant-inspired medicines, has announced $40M million in venture debt.
- Global Synthetic Biology Market Report 2022 - Industry is Set to Experience Explosive Growth as Penetration Rates Accelerateon June 21, 2022 at 7:00 am
The synthetic biology industry is a prime growth opportunity due to several factors. First, many of the applications for synthetic biology have large addressable markets and the p ...
- Another step toward synthetic cellson June 21, 2022 at 5:44 am
Building functional synthetic cells from the bottom-up is an ongoing effort of scientists around the globe. Their use in studying cellular mechanisms in a highly controlled and pre-defined setting ...
- Outlook on the Synthetic Biology: DNA Cloning Global Market to 2035 - Industry Trends and Forecastson June 17, 2022 at 5:30 am
DNA Cloning Market by Type of Cloning Method, End-Users and Key Geographical Regions: Industry Trends and Global Forecasts, 2022-2035" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering.
- The Worldwide Synthetic Biology Industry is Expected to Reach $34.2 Billion by 2027 - ResearchAndMarkets.comon June 15, 2022 at 2:29 am
Technology, Application, Region (Americas, Asia-Pacific, and Europe, Middle East & Africa) - Global Forecast to 2027 - Cumulative Impact of COVID-19" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's ...
- What Is Synthetic Biology? And How Will it Transform Manufacturing?on June 9, 2022 at 5:00 pm
But that distinction may be dissolving thanks to an emerging field called synthetic biology. It's a field that combines engineering principles and biology. And if its ideas proliferate we may someday ...
- Are the ethics of synthetic biology fit for purpose?on June 6, 2022 at 9:15 am
Synthetic biology promises far reaching solutions to human concerns, from averting climate catastrophes to medical breakthroughs. But are ethics keeping pace with emerging technology? The case ...
- Synthetic Biology Market Size In 2022 with Top Countries Data : What is the current value for Industry? | In-Depth Analysis with 126 Report Pageson June 5, 2022 at 4:38 pm
Jun 05, 2022 (The Expresswire) -- According to this latest study, In 2022 the growth of Synthetic Biology Market will have significant change from previous year. Over the next five years the ...
- Synthetic Biology Market Demand and Growth Analysis with Forecast up to 2027on June 2, 2022 at 11:25 pm
Extensive progress is being observed in the sectors related to biology and life sciences. The synthetic biology sector is one of them. Based on several factors, the global market for synthetic ...