Stanford’s Start.Home project tries to add some freshness to prefab housing by creating one “core” with all the needed equipment, around which you can build whatever house you want.
Modular buildings have several cost and environmental benefits. But building everything the same does tend to leave you with cookie-cutter neighborhoods lacking in variety.
How can you have the pluses of modularity without the minuses? According to a group of students at Stanford University, the answer is “The Core.”
“The big challenge is that you don’t want to confine people to a single house,” says Derek Ouyang, who leads Stanford’s Start.Home solar-home project. “The cookie-cutter effect is something the modular home industry struggles with.”
The Core, which Ouyang calls the “engine” of the home, is a 12-by-15-by-10-foot box containing all the plumbing and most of the machinery. It has a kitchen face on one side, with kitchen appliances already installed, as well as a bathroom, laundry room, and mechanical room (to access your equipment). The idea is to put all the functional stuff in one integrated piece, minimizing building and installation costs and improving efficiency.
“We’re making homes more like cars. We’re designing an engine for a home,” says Ouyang.
Start.Home is Stanford’s 2013 entry to the “Solar Decathlon,” the Department of Energy’s biennial contest to build homes that produce as much energy as they consume. But Ouyang, who is a senior, sees it as more than just another entry meeting the main criteria.
“We didn’t want to build a onetime showcase. We wanted this to really be a much larger idea–something that we think can change industry,” he says. “It’s been customizability versus competitiveness. Our solution to that is giving people an engine. After that, they can have any design they want in the rest of the house.”
The Latest Bing News on:
Prefab Solar House
- Students unveil sustainable modular homeon April 13, 2021 at 5:00 am
A mile north of campus, a white, boxy house surrounded by a brown wooden deck stands out from the rest of the neighborhood. Solar panels sit on its roof, and the deck is populated with students ...
- Developer Aims To Have 35 Modular Housing Factories Across The Country Building Net Positive Homeson April 13, 2021 at 4:11 am
John Rowland founded S2A Modular to rethink the home building process and deliver net positive, carbon neutral homes of all types.
- A Community of Sustainable 3D-Printed Houses Is Popping Up in Californiaon April 6, 2021 at 1:09 pm
Sustainable real estate developer Palari Group is teaming up with modular homebuilding service Mighty Buildings to construct 15 homes along a ... waste.” Each solar-powered property will consist ...
- How Could a House Work in a Post Climate Change Scenario?on April 6, 2021 at 5:30 am
W-LAB architects have developed a Low-Tech habitat for humid, hot, and arid climates, incorporating bio-materials and transportable solutions.
- St. Paul development changes how affordable housing is builton April 3, 2021 at 12:18 pm
While many of Salmela's clients can afford the best design that money can buy, one of his latest is a St. Paul nonprofit that has hired him to design more than a dozen modular, solar-powered houses ...
- St. Paul development aims to change the way affordable housing is builton April 3, 2021 at 6:00 am
one of his latest is a St. Paul nonprofit that has hired him to design more than a dozen modular, solar-powered houses that are being craned into place on a redevelopment site in one of the ...
- Amazon's largest depot in the UK has been fitted with nearly 6,000 solar panels to provide enough energy for more than 300 homeson April 2, 2021 at 5:08 am
ft. It has been fitted with 5,900 modular solar panels which generate the equivalent amount of electricity required to power over 320 homes for one year. This video was filmed on the 1st April 2021.
- Amazon's largest depot in the UK has been fitted with nearly 6,000 solar panels to provide enough energy for more than 300 homeson April 2, 2021 at 4:59 am
Amazon's largest depot in the UK has been fitted with nearly 6,000 solar panels to provide enough energy for more than 300 homes. The site at Dunfermline, Fife, is equivalent to 17 football pitches ...
- Mighty Buildings plans neighbourhood of 3D-printed homes for Californiaon March 31, 2021 at 11:40 pm
Solar panels will provide energy for the properties ... a factory before being shipped and assembled into steel-framed modular houses. Each panel is the equivalent of eight layers of traditional ...
- michael jantzen's dome cluster house from 1982 explores energy efficient, low-cost buildingon March 22, 2021 at 2:40 am
using these domes, jantzen’s idea was to create a modular prototype that ... three to the south (for maximum solar exposure) to form the outer shell of the house. he then erected and merged ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
Prefab Solar House
The Latest Bing News on:
- Earth’s Mantle, Not Its Core, May Have Generated Planet’s Early Magnetic Fieldon April 17, 2021 at 6:43 am
Scripps Oceanography researcher's assertion bolstered by series of new studies. New research lends credence to an unorthodox retelling of the story of early Earth first proposed by a geophysicist at ...
- Ron van Kemenade – technology at the coreon April 15, 2021 at 10:45 pm
Ron van Kemenade. You have worked in various IT and technology functions at ING for many years. Now you are becoming a member of the Management Board. Do you consider yourself a b ...
- Core Is A Roblox-Style Sandbox Game, And It's Out Now On The Epic Games Storeon April 15, 2021 at 3:21 pm
Manticore Games has just launched Core, a new sandbox game powered by user-generated content, allowing players to explore a multiverse full of different activities and stories to uncover. In 2020, ...
- Roblox-like Core is out now in Early Access on the Epic Games Storeon April 15, 2021 at 8:16 am
There’s a new Roblox-like in town, and it’s exclusive to the Epic Games Store. Manticore Games’ Core is a game creation and publication platform that lets you access and create oodles of games. It’s ...
- Core™ Now Available for Free Exclusively on the Epic Games Storeon April 15, 2021 at 8:01 am
Manticore Games’ platform Core™, an endless arcade of high-quality, user-built games and worlds, today launched in Early Access exclusively on the Epic Games Store. Core, which has been in Alpha for ...
- Core wants to be the YouTube of game development, and now anyone can try iton April 15, 2021 at 8:00 am
Core, the platform that hopes to help creators build games and players experience them, is launching for free in early access today. It’s available exclusively on the Epic Games Store and already ...
- Project Admission CEO: ‘At the Core of Our Product Is Identity-Based Ticketing’on April 15, 2021 at 4:20 am
We’ve built an ecosystem of tools around the ticket that expand revenue opportunities,” says CEO Stephen Glickenat.
- The core strategic impossibility that kept the U.S. in Afghanistanon April 14, 2021 at 8:50 pm
Rachel Maddow looks at the Taliban's use of Pakistan as a base of operations as why the U.S., while able to depose the Taliban in Afghanistan, could not completely wrap up the next step.
- Spiritual pluralism, and not secularism, lies at the core of ‘Indian-ness’on April 14, 2021 at 12:19 am
Indeed, every country has its own core identity composed of a group of people and the ethos and values that the founding fathers led their lives with. For the Americans, the people, principles and ...
- Intel Core i9-11900K Vs AMD Ryzen 9 5900X: Which Should You Buy?on March 30, 2021 at 12:30 pm
Today, Intel (Nasdaq:INTC) is releasing its 11th Gen Rocket Lake CPUs and PC enthusiasts will be particularly keen on the Core i9-11900K, Core i7-11700K and Core i5-11600K and how they stack up ...