In a world first, a donated human liver has been ‘kept alive’ outside a human being and then successfully transplanted into a patient in need of a new liver.
So far the procedure has been performed on two patients on the liver transplant waiting list and both are making excellent recoveries.
Currently transplantation depends on preserving donor organs by putting them ‘on ice’ – cooling them to slow their metabolism. But this often leads to organs becoming damaged.
The technology, developed at Oxford and now being trialled at the University of Oxford liver transplant centre at King’s College Hospital as part of a controlled clinical investigation, could preserve a functioning liver outside the body for 24 hours. A donated human liver connected to the device is raised to body temperature and oxygenated red blood cells are circulated through its capillaries. Once on the machine, a liver functions normally just as it would inside a human body, regaining its colour and producing bile.
The results from the first two transplants, carried out at King’s College Hospital in February 2013, suggest that the device could be useful for all patients needing liver transplants. Based on pre-clinical data, the new device could also enable the preservation of livers which would otherwise be discarded as unfit for transplantation – potentially as much as doubling the number of organs available for transplant and prolonging the maximum period of organ preservation to 24 hours.
‘These first clinical cases confirm that we can support human livers outside the body, keep them alive and functioning on our machine and then, hours later, successfully transplant them into a patient,’ said Professor Constantin Coussios of Oxford University’s Department of Engineering Science, one of the machine’s inventors and Technical Director of OrganOx, the University spin-out created to bring the device from bench to bedside.
‘The device is the very first completely automated liver perfusion device of its kind: the organ is perfused with oxygenated red blood cells at normal body temperature, just as it would be inside the body, and can for example be observed making bile, which makes it an extraordinary feat of engineering.
‘It was astounding to see an initially cold grey liver flushing with colour once hooked up to our machine and performing as it would within the body. What was even more amazing was to see the same liver transplanted into a patient who is now walking around.
‘Whilst for these two transplants we only needed to keep the livers alive for up to 10 hours, in other experiments we have shown we can preserve a functioning liver and monitor its function outside the body for periods up to 24 hours.’
The Latest Bing News on:
- 8-year-old undergoes combined liver, kidney transplant at Apollo in Karnatakaon March 3, 2024 at 6:47 pm
BENGALURU: An 8-year-old girl child from Tamil Nadu, underwent a unique combined liver and kidney transplant operation in the city at Apollo Hospitals, Seshadripuram. This is the first case in India ...
- 8-year-old undergoes historic liver-kidney transplanton March 2, 2024 at 3:30 am
An 8-year-old girl child from Tamil Nadu underwent a combined liver and kidney transplantation at Apollo Hospitals, Seshadripuram. Hospital sources revealed that this marked the first instance in ...
- Liver Disease: Steatotic, Hepatitis, Cirrhosis, and Moreon March 1, 2024 at 7:42 am
Liver disease can range from mild abnormalities on a blood test to a chronic life-threatening illness. Alcohol-related liver disease and nonalcoholic fatty liver disease, both preventable, are the ...
- Health Spotlight: Young man receives the gift of three transplantson February 29, 2024 at 11:52 am
“My whole world was shattered ‘cause I didn’t know what to expect,” said Elena. At just 10 months old, Joe Joe received a liver transplant. Subsequent chemotherapy affected his kidneys and while Joe ...
- Burslem baby waiting for liver transplant dieson February 27, 2024 at 10:58 pm
The family of a seven-month-old boy who were raising money to pay for a liver transplant have announced he has died. They were told Jensen, from Burslem in Stoke-on-Trent, was too unwell to have the ...
- 10-year-old Lucas in need of another liveron February 27, 2024 at 4:14 pm
JESSICA GOLER TELLS ME THESE PAST EIGHT YEARS HAVE BEEN A BLESSING. LITTLE LUCAS WAS JUST TWO YEARS OLD WHEN HE HAD A LAST MINUTE, LIFE SAVING LIVER TRANSPLANT HERE AT CHILDREN’S HOSPITAL, AND. HE HAD ...
- 12-Year-Old Receives Part Of Mother's Liver In A Lifesaving Transplanton February 27, 2024 at 6:20 am
The patient was leading a regular life, until one day when he developed a high fever and started to vomit. Within five days he had to be admitted to a tertiary care hospital in an altered state of ...
- Bob Asmussen | Liver transplant has Illini football staffer on the mendon February 26, 2024 at 4:00 pm
Ben is entering his fourth year on the University of Illinois football staff. He had a liver transplant in late January. Illinois head coach analyst Ben Miller received a liver transplant in late ...
- 'Kind of a no-brainer': Teen saves infant's life with living transplanton February 25, 2024 at 6:33 am
A Seattle teenager used her summer break before heading to college to give a nine-month-old baby the chance to live. Vinny Starelli, now 18 months old, is continuing his recovery and treatment after ...
- A death sentence: Native Americans shut out of the nation's liver transplant systemon February 22, 2024 at 1:00 pm
The Markup investigates why, despite being more likely to die of liver disease, Native Americans are far less likely to make the transplant list than white people.
The Latest Google Headlines on:
[google_news title=”” keyword=”liver transplants” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
The Latest Bing News on:
- BMHRC gets phaco machine, 7 other advanced deviceson March 3, 2024 at 6:23 am
New endoscopy machine is ultra-modern, which will not only enable procedures like endoscopy, colonoscopy, sigmoidoscopy, but will also facilitate the ERCP procedure for the treatment of CBD stones and ...
- Clean your coffee machine with 35p supermarket staple to avoid this health riskon March 3, 2024 at 12:00 am
READ MORE: Doctor recommends three breakfast drinks for gut and liver health Luckily ... When half of the solution has been used, switch off the machine and let it rest for about an hour. Then, turn ...
- Research team uses AI to predict risk of liver canceron February 29, 2024 at 12:53 pm
A team of UC Davis Health clinicians and data scientists has developed a machine-learning model to better predict which patients are at greater risk of developing a common type of liver cancer, ...
- Dear Doctor: What causes swelling of legs and feet, and how is it treated?on February 28, 2024 at 10:00 pm
He has tried compression socks and a machine that massages his legs ... specifically heart failure, and conditions of the liver, caused by the inability to make the protein albumin. This is a major ...
- Top 8 Best Liver Detox Supplement: Top 5 Picks for 2023on February 27, 2024 at 3:05 pm
Maintaining a healthy liver is essential for overall health. The liver has crucial roles such as expelling toxins from the body, generating bile, and preserving vital vitamins and minerals.
- Missoula St. Patrick Hospital's new ECMO machine improves critical patient careon February 27, 2024 at 10:07 am
The machine takes blood from the patient, oxygenates it and pumps it back into the patient's body. "It can stabilize you, keep all of the rest of your body happy, from brain to liver to kidneys, and ...
- 5 vital liver functions that help prevent diseaseson February 26, 2024 at 4:00 pm
The liver stands as a powerhouse organ, orchestrating a symphony of crucial functions essential for our overall health. It serves as the body’s primary detoxifier, meticulously removing harmful ...
- Liver Disease Newson February 25, 2024 at 3:59 pm
Feb. 21, 2024 — Could the TB vaccine be a new immunotherapy for liver cancer? A study found that the century-old vaccine reduced tumors and extended survival for ...
- Cauliflower steak with lamb’s liver and shallot sauce recipeon February 23, 2024 at 11:00 pm
I love serving it cooked like this with offal, such as kidneys, liver and even heart. You can use any liver for this – lamb, veal or even my favourite, deer. The cauliflower itself also makes a great ...
- The Potential of AI and Nanotech in Precision Medicineon February 21, 2024 at 4:00 pm
A new study published in Science Robotics showcases a novel precision oncology approach for treating liver cancer that has been developed using injectable magnet-guided microrobots and artificial ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
[google_news title=”” keyword=”liver machine” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]