Research quality X-rays could have widespread applications
Using a compact but powerful laser, a research team at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln has developed a new way to generate synchrotron X-rays.
Although the high quality of synchrotron X-rays make them ideal for research ranging from the structure of matter to advanced medical images, access to the technology has been limited until now. Most traditional synchrotron X-ray devices are gigantic and costly, available only at a few sites around the world.
As reported in this week’s issue of the top-ranked optics journal Nature Photonics, researchers at UNL’s Extreme Light Laboratory developed a novel method to generate research-quality X-rays using a “tabletop” laser.
“Our hope is that this new technology will lead to applications that benefit both science and society,” said Nathan Powers, a Ph.D. student and first author of the journal article.
Physics professor Donald Umstadter, director of the Extreme Light Laboratory, led the research project. He compared the synchrotron X-ray breakthrough to the development of personal computers, giving more people access to computing power once available only via large and costly mainframe computers. Shrinking components of advanced laser-based technology will increase the feasibility of producing high-quality X-rays in medical and university research laboratories, which in turn could lead to new applications for the X-rays.
Because the new X-ray device could be small enough to fit in a hospital or on a truck, it could lead to more widespread applications for advanced X-ray technology, UNL scientists said. New applications might include Homeland Security detecting nuclear materials concealed within a shielded container; doctors finding cancerous tumors at earlier stages; or scientists studying extremely fast reactions that occur too rapidly for observation with conventional X-rays.
Ever since synchrotron X-ray light sources were developed more than 60 years ago, they have grown in size. Some now equal the size of a college campus, with a cost in the hundreds of millions of dollars. These huge machines continue to be built, most recently in Australia and Brazil.
Like supercomputers, they provide scientists with the most advanced research capabilities, yet they are not feasible for most practical applications. Though synchrotron X-rays result in lower doses of radiation as well as high-quality images, the tens of thousands of compact X-ray devices currently in operation in hospitals or at ports worldwide produce lower quality X-rays.
The Latest Bing News on:
- I used an incredible X-ray machine to look inside my gadgets — let me show youon March 18, 2023 at 10:01 am
I am that guy who asks airport security if I can photograph my luggage going through the X-ray machine. I’m also the guy who spent a solid hour scrubbing through the CT scan of my broken jaw with a ...
- Digital Mobile X-Ray Devices Market To Cross US$ 4,787.0 Million By 2030 | CAGR Of 7.0%on March 17, 2023 at 4:42 pm
Digital Mobile X Ray Devices Market Growth SEATTLE, WASHINGTON, UNITED STATES, March 17, 2023 /einpresswire.com / -- Portable machines ca ...
- Balancing the promise of new VR tech's X-Ray vision with privacy concernson March 16, 2023 at 9:18 am
MIT has designed an augmented reality headset that essentially gives people "X-ray vision" to see through walls and inside boxes. Kurt "CyberGuy" Knutsson explains.
- Global X-ray Imaging Devices Market Size by Application (Hospital, Diagnostic Center, Others) Forecast from 2023 to 2028on March 16, 2023 at 2:38 am
Mar 16, 2023 (The Expresswire) -- "Final Report will add the analysis of the impact of COVID-19 on this industry." A recent analysis on the global ...
- Why Consider X-Ray Sterilization?on March 15, 2023 at 5:00 pm
Most device makers outsource the sterilization process to large contractors with specialized equipment and facilities. This article focuses on sterilization methods, including EtO, gamma irradiation, ...
- Handheld Backscatter X-Ray Devices Market Size is projected to reach USD 87.28 Million by 2030, growing at a CAGR of 6%: Straits Researchon March 15, 2023 at 11:17 am
single-sided x-ray imagers like the Mini-Z handheld backscatter X-ray device can be used to scan objects in difficult-to-reach regions. Due to its compact size, it may be used to efficiently screen a ...
- Pediatric Medical Devices Global Market Report 2023: Featuring TSE Medical, GE Healthcare, Hamilton Medical, Fritz Stephan, Novonate & Moreon March 15, 2023 at 2:33 am
The "Pediatric Medical Devices Market Size, Share & Trends Analysis Report By Product (Cardiology Devices, In Vitro Diagnostic (IVD) Devices, Diagnostic Imaging Devices), By End-user, By Region, And ...
- Handheld X Ray Imaging Device Market Intelligence Report [2023-2028] | Our Comprehensive Report Has Everything You Need to Succeedon March 14, 2023 at 12:24 am
Global Handheld X Ray Imaging Device Market [2023-2028] research report gives most upcoming industry information on ...
- Adopting X-Ray Sterilization for Medical Deviceson March 6, 2023 at 4:00 pm
When considering a switch to X-ray sterilization, the main challenge to be addressed ... www.irradiationpanel.org The panel’s membership is composed of major medical device and equipment manufacturers ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
[google_news title=”” keyword=”X-ray device” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
The Latest Bing News on:
- How cancer cells repair DNA damage from radiotherapyon March 17, 2023 at 3:55 am
A team of scientists has discovered a new type of DNA repair mechanism cancer cells use to recover from cancer radiation therapy.
- Cost of Vet X-rays: 2023 Guideon March 15, 2023 at 1:54 pm
In this article: Average Vet X-ray Cost | Cost Factors | Why Your Pet May Need X-rays | The Bottom Line | FAQs | Methodology Your pet may need X-rays at some point during its life. Though your ...
- Rays' Yandy Diaz: X-rays come back negativeon March 10, 2023 at 11:40 am
Diaz's left hand X-rays came back negative, Tricia Whitaker of Bally Sports Sun reports. Diaz had to be removed from Friday's game after being plunked, but he's managed to avoid any fractures.
- NASA unlocks mysteries of historic supernovaon March 7, 2023 at 11:01 pm
An international team of scientists has uncovered new information about the remains of a star that exploded more than 450 years ago. The results provided new clues about how the ...
- AI accurately identifies normal and abnormal chest X-rayson March 7, 2023 at 12:37 pm
An artificial intelligence (AI) tool can accurately identify normal and abnormal chest X-rays in a clinical setting, according to a study published in Radiology. Chest X-rays are used to diagnose ...
- AI accurately identifies normal and abnormal chest x-rayson March 7, 2023 at 11:27 am
An artificial intelligence (AI) tool can accurately identify normal and abnormal chest X-rays in a clinical setting, according to a new study. Chest X-rays are used to diagnose a wide variety of ...
- X-rays reveal how 450-year-old Tycho supernova became a giant cosmic particle acceleratoron March 6, 2023 at 12:13 pm
At the time, astronomers said the stripes are spots where magnetic fields are entangled, thus trapping electrons which then spiral in the fields to higher energies and emit X-rays. So while ...
- Spinal X-Rayon March 1, 2023 at 4:01 pm
Softer tissue, like fat or muscle, appears in shades of gray. Your doctor can take separate X-rays that focus on the different parts of the spine, which is made up of 33 small bones called vertebrae.
- Dental X-Rayson February 20, 2023 at 4:00 pm
Dental X-rays (radiographs) are images of your teeth that your dentist uses to evaluate your oral health. These X-rays are used with low levels of radiation to capture images of the interior of ...
- How X-rays are being used to help with data recovery from devices like iPhones and MacBookson February 19, 2023 at 4:00 pm
The new process uses X-rays to improve and expand the company’s capabilities, here’s how… DriveSavers has been recovering data from damaged drives and devices since 1985 along with iPhone ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
[google_news title=”” keyword=”fixsynchrotron X-rays” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]