A research team headed by Professor Gao Chao have developed ultra-light aerogel – it breaks the record of the world’s lightest material with surprising flexibility and oil-absorption.
This progress is published in the “Research Highlights” column in Nature.
Aerogel is the lightest substance recorded by Guinness Book of World Records. It gets its name due to its internal pores filled with air. In 1931, American scientist Kistler first produced aerogel with silicon dioxide, and nicknamed it “frozen smoke”. In 2011, HRL Laboratory, University of California Irvine, and California Institute of Technology collaborated in developing nickel aerogel with a density of 0.9 mg/cubic centimeter, the record lightest material at that time. It couldn’t even cause deformation on dandelion flower fluffs. The picture of nickel aerogel was selected as one of the top ten pictures of Nature. Deeply impressed by the picture, Prof. Gao Chao asked himself: is it possible to challenge the limit with new material?
Gao Chao’s team has long been developing macroscopic graphene materials, such as one-dimensional graphene fibers and two-dimensional graphene films. This time they decided to make three-dimensional porous material out of graphene to break the record. In their lab, the reporter saw carbon sponges of different sizes, as big as tennis balls or as small as bottle stopper. Under an electron microscope, carbon nanotubes and graphene support numerous pore. “It’s somewhat like large space structures such as big stadiums, with steel bars as supports and high strength film as walls to achieve both lightness and strength.” Ph.D. candidate Sun Haiyan introduced. “Here, carbon nanotubes are supports and graphene is the wall.”
In reported papers the carbon sponge developed by Gao’s team is the record holder of lightest material, with 0.16 mg/cubic centimeter, lower than the density of helium. A related paper was published in Advanced Materials on February 18. But the team is not interested in declaring for Guinness Book of World Records. Prof. Gao explains that the value of this achievement lies in its simple way in developing the material and the superior performance exhibited.
The basic principle of developing aerogel is to remove solvent in the gel and retain the integrity. In the past, scientists usually used sol-gel method and template-oriented method. The former can synthesize aerogel on a large scale, but with poor controllability. The latter can generate ordered structures; but due to its reliance on the fine structure and dimensions of templates, mass production was feasible. Prof. Gao’s team explored a new method — freeze-drying method: they freeze-dried solutions of carbon nanotubes and graphene to get carbon sponge that can be arbitrarily adjusted in any shape. “With no need for templates, its size only depends on that of the container. Bigger container can help produce the aerogel in bigger size, even to thousands of cubic centimeters or larger.”
The title of review in Nature is “Solid carbon, springy and light”. This new material is amazing. Their aerogel is extremely elastic, bouncing back when compressed. It can absorb up to 900 times their own weight in oil, only oil not water. In addition, the aerogel can absorb organics at a high speed: one gram of such aerogel can absorb 68.8 grams of organics per second. It can be useful in dealing with oil spills at sea.
The Latest Bing News on:
- The Times & The Sunday Times Homepageon September 16, 2022 at 5:00 pm
And still they come. From morning till night, tens of thousands of people of all ages, backgrounds and places across the land defy warnings of 24-hour waits and swarm to pay their last respects to ...
- Insulation Materials Market Size Share Trends Growth Demand and Competitive Analysis Insights 2022-2029 | DataM Intelligenceon September 7, 2022 at 6:40 pm
Global Insulation Materials Market is expected to reach a high CAGR of 9.1% during the forecast period (2022 – 2029). Insulation materials are energy-efficient materials that offer thermal ...
- Homemade Exoskeleton Lifts Mini Cooper With Easeon September 7, 2022 at 5:00 pm
As some of you may or may not know, I’m interested in everything exoskeleton related. I’ve been messing around with my own designs for the past year or so, and just this past weekend, tested ...
- Global Aerogel Market | 2022-2027 | Worldwide Industry Growing at a CAGR of 9.23% and Expected to Reach USD 1206.17 Millionon September 2, 2022 at 3:59 am
With tables and figures helping analyze worldwide Global Aerogel market trends, this research provides key statistics on the state of the industry and is a valuable source of guidance and direction ...
- Ceapro Inc. Announces Publication of Positive Results for PGX-Processed Alginates Impregnated with CoQ10 in The Journal of Supercritical Fluidson August 9, 2022 at 7:39 pm
PGX is ideally suited for processing challenging high-molecular-weight, water-soluble biopolymers. It has the ability to make ultra-light, highly porous polymer structures on a continuous basis, which ...
- Ceapro Inc. Announces Publication of Positive Results for PGX-Processed Alginates Impregnated with CoQ10 in The Journal of Supercritical Fluidson August 9, 2022 at 6:31 am
Findings from the collaborative project with the University of Alberta illustrate how aerogels generated using the PGX Technology ... It has the ability to make ultra-light, highly porous polymer ...
- Aerogel Market Dynamics with Top Players, Gross Margin, Regional Demand, Plans and Demand Status Forecast to 2030on August 5, 2022 at 5:01 am
Aerogel is a synthetic porous ultra-light material derived from a gel in which liquid component of the gel is replaced with a gas without a significant collapse of the gel structure. The result is ...
- Scientists Are Storing Energy Using Uneaten Fruiton April 23, 2022 at 4:10 am
In order to make use of the fruit, engineers converted it into an aerogel, which is a type of ultralight, porous material. To do that, they first heat-treated and then freeze-dried the spongy ...
- MEC VectAir Insulated LT Sleeping Pad - Unisexon April 4, 2022 at 10:01 pm
Sleep warm without weighing down your pack. The VectAir Insulated LT Sleeping Pad uses PrimaLoft Gold synthetic insulation with Cross Core Technology that adds aerogel to polyester filaments.
- MEC VectAir Insulated UL Sleeping Pad - Unisexon April 4, 2022 at 10:01 pm
Going ultralight doesn't mean being uncomfortable ... The secret is the PrimaLoft Gold synthetic insulation with Cross Core Technology that adds aerogel to polyester filaments. This creates an ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
World’s lightest material
- Avient completes acquisition of DSM Protective Materialson September 16, 2022 at 10:50 am
The Dyneema brand and technology is said to be the foundation of Avient Protective Materials. Dyneema is an ultra-lightweight specialty fiber that is said to be 15 times stronger than steel and used ...
- Croatia 2022 World Cup away kit: This could be the coolest Croatia shirt everon September 16, 2022 at 8:10 am
The Croatia 2022 World Cup away kit is here – and boy is it a little different from normal.We all know exactly what to expect from Croatia by now when it comes to home shirts but it's always fun to ...
- ASICS launches "lightest ever CO2 emissions sneaker", the GEL-LYTE III CM 1.95, in the most ASICS way possibleon September 15, 2022 at 8:01 am
The latest big-ticket brand to join the sustainability bandwagon is ASICS, which today announced the lightest CO2 emissions sneaker ever, the all-white GEL-LYTE III CM 1.95. And ASICS being ASICS, ...
- Brazil 2022 World Cup home kit: This could be the coolest ever Selecao jerseyon September 15, 2022 at 7:20 am
World Cup home kit is here… but is it the coolest ever shirt the nation have had? There's a lot to choose from, in fairness. Nike don't often revolutionise things for the Selecao – because why would ...
- Creating the interior of “The most beautiful building in the world”on September 15, 2022 at 1:02 am
From design to the choice of materials, could we say that the Museum of the Future in Dubai has presented a number of challenges?Philippe Marcovich, President of Sicomin: “The Museum of the Future ...
- U.S. 2022 World Cup kits released by Nike, with players already ‘angry’ and fans unimpressedon September 15, 2022 at 12:00 am
The three USMNT players who've commented on their 2022 World Cup kits have indicated that the team isn't thrilled with the jerseys they'll wear in Qatar.
- Analytics Insight Announces 'World's 10 Best Drone Companies to Watch in 2022'on September 13, 2022 at 7:15 am
these companies concentrate on lightweight materials, impressive flight performance, and camera quality. They also collect aerial data through drones that are later taken into decision-making aspects.
- Lightweight Gypsum Board Market Is Set to Fly High in Years to Come with Top Countries Data | Exclusive Report Spread Across 96 Pageson September 12, 2022 at 11:33 pm
Report Pages] "Lightweight Gypsum Board Market" Insights 2022 By Types (Regular Gypsum Board, Moisture Resistant ...
- 3D Systems introduces two new production-grade 3D printing materialson September 12, 2022 at 8:21 am
Figure 4 Tough Clear and DuraForm PAx Black are being showcased at the additive manufacturing company’s booth during IMTS this week with commercial availability planned for Q4 2022.
- 3D Systems Expands Industry-leading Materials Portfolio with Introduction of New Production-grade Materialson September 12, 2022 at 5:30 am
Parts produced using Figure 4 Tough Clear are built to last and avoid yellowing or discoloration. Engineered for long-term stability up to eight years indoors, parts are beautiful and functional with ...