The solar cells can be quickly recycled in water at the end of their lifecycle
Solar cells are just like leaves, capturing the sunlight and turning it into energy. It’s fitting that they can now be made partially from trees.
Georgia Institute of Technology and Purdue University researchers have developed efficient solar cells using natural substrates derived from plants such as trees. Just as importantly, by fabricating them on cellulose nanocrystal (CNC) substrates, the solar cells can be quickly recycled in water at the end of their lifecycle.
The technology is published in the journal Scientific Reports, the latest open-access journal from the Nature Publishing Group.
The researchers report that the organic solar cells reach a power conversion efficiency of 2.7 percent, an unprecedented figure for cells on substrates derived from renewable raw materials. The CNC substrates on which the solar cells are fabricated are optically transparent, enabling light to pass through them before being absorbed by a very thin layer of an organic semiconductor. During the recycling process, the solar cells are simply immersed in water at room temperature. Within only minutes, the CNC substrate dissolves and the solar cell can be separated easily into its major components.
Georgia Tech College of Engineering Professor Bernard Kippelen led the study and says his team’s project opens the door for a truly recyclable, sustainable and renewable solar cell technology.
“The development and performance of organic substrates in solar technology continues to improve, providing engineers with a good indication of future applications,” said Kippelen, who is also the director of Georgia Tech’s Center for Organic Photonics and Electronics (COPE). “But organic solar cells must be recyclable. Otherwise we are simply solving one problem, less dependence on fossil fuels, while creating another, a technology that produces energy from renewable sources but is not disposable at the end of its lifecycle.”
To date, organic solar cells have been typically fabricated on glass or plastic. Neither is easily recyclable, and petroleum-based substrates are not very eco-friendly. For instance, if cells fabricated on glass were to break during manufacturing or installation, the useless materials would be difficult to dispose of. Paper substrates are better for the environment, but have shown limited performance because of high surface roughness or porosity. However, cellulose nanomaterials made from wood are green, renewable and sustainable. The substrates have a low surface roughness of only about two nanometers.
“Our next steps will be to work toward improving the power conversion efficiency over 10 percent, levels similar to solar cells fabricated on glass or petroleum-based substrates,” said Kippelen. The group plans to achieve this by optimizing the optical properties of the solar cell’s electrode.
The Latest Bing News on:
Recyclable Efficient Solar Cells
- Silicon Ranch partners with startup solar module recycleron September 19, 2022 at 8:20 am
Solar developer Silicon Ranch and recycling startup SOLARCYCLE said they plan to partner to process end-of-life solar modules. SOLARCYCLE said its recycling method recovers roughly 95% of a solar ...
- Carbon Recycling Breakthrough Coverts 100% Of CO2 Into Ethyleneon September 17, 2022 at 10:00 am
A new breakthrough from researchers at the University of Illinois can transform captured carbon dioxide into high-purity ethylene ...
- The Dark Side Of Solar Poweron September 15, 2022 at 5:00 pm
But as solar panels degrade, they become far less efficient, and eventually stop working altogether. The obvious solution might be to recycle all those solar panels, but it’s not that simple.
- Solar Panel Maintenance Guideon September 15, 2022 at 2:34 pm
Solar panels are tough. A few years ago the Denver area experienced the most damaging hail storm in its history, yet the National Renewable Energy Laboratory and its 3,000-panel array escaped with ...
- Disposal of used solar panels a problem left by green poweron September 14, 2022 at 5:00 pm
There is the option of reusing them, but few buyers would want panels of older models that come with poorer power generation efficiency ... recycling preparation office with Solar Frontier.
- Putting Europe back in the lead in solar panel productionon September 12, 2022 at 1:09 am
They offer high efficiency and are relatively cheap ... and new companies are starting up production. Smart combinations of solar cells and recycling Large-scale manufacturing of cells and modules in ...
- The weekend read: What is the future of solar for ESG finance?on September 9, 2022 at 9:16 pm
There are three main drivers behind the continuing growth of solar today: the economics of energy, the energy crisis driven by the war in Ukraine, and a growing global focus on green and net zero ...
- Solar panel recycling at All Energy Solar keeps waste out of landfillson September 9, 2022 at 7:59 am
All Energy Solar, a multi-state solar installation leader based in Minnesota, tackles waste from old or damaged solar panels with a recycling program that ...
- Solar power helps make VU more energy-efficienton September 8, 2022 at 6:20 pm
The new solar panels – a large expansion of (VU) existing solar program – are being installed on the rooftops of buildings across Footscray Park, Werribee and St Albans campuses. Additional solar ...
- Europe Solar Panel Recycling Market Trends, Sales Projection, Innovation, Analysis and Forecast 2022-2030on September 7, 2022 at 5:48 am
Europe solar panel recycling market accounted for $49.1 million ... List of Highlights & Approach The report is made using a variety of efficient analytical methodologies that offers readers ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
Recyclable Efficient Solar Cells
The Latest Bing News on:
Organic solar cells
- Paving the way for large-scale, efficient organic solar cells with water treatmenton September 15, 2022 at 2:02 pm
Using water for morphology control of active layer thin films, researchers develop large-area, high-performance organic solar cells.
- Researchers pave the way for large-scale, efficient organic solar cells with water treatmenton September 15, 2022 at 11:05 am
Organic solar cells (OSCs), which use organic polymers to convert sunlight into electricity, have received considerable attention for their desirable properties as next-generation energy sources.
- Gwangju Institute of Science and Technology researchers pave the way for large-scale, efficient organic solar cells with water treatmenton September 14, 2022 at 5:00 pm
Organic solar cells (OSCs) are attractive owing to their lightweight, flexibility, and high power conversion efficiency. However, a lack of morphology control of the active layer makes it challenging ...
- Precisely determining the energy levels of different solar materials for high-performance deviceson September 13, 2022 at 9:12 am
An electronic mismatch in the pairs of materials used to make organic solar cells can enhance cell operation, KAUST researchers have shown. The surprise finding—published in Advanced Materials and ...
- Measured approach to organic solar cell masteryon September 13, 2022 at 7:06 am
The light-capturing layer of organic solar cells is typically comprised of a two-component mixture called a donor–acceptor blend. In sunlight, the incoming energy can excite electrons to jump between ...
- Zinc turns out to be key to efficient organic solar cellson September 12, 2022 at 6:06 am
In a paper published in the journal Advanced Energy Materials, the scientists explain that organic solar cells (OSCs) are considered the future of photovoltaics due to their beneficial features like ...
- Watch this Nightmare Fuel Video of a Cyborg Roach Controlled by a Tiny Solar-Powered Backpackon September 7, 2022 at 2:29 pm
Here's some nightmare fuel for your Wednesday. Scientists have developed cyborg cockroaches controlled by tiny solar-powered backpacks, with the goal of turning them into a creepy-crawly ...
- Perovskite solar cell achieves 24% efficiency, retains 87% of output after 100 dayson September 7, 2022 at 8:49 am
Researchers at the National Renewable Energy Laboratory made a breakthrough in high efficiency and stability for perovskite solar cells.
- Remote-controlled 'cyborg cockroaches' created that use solar poweron September 7, 2022 at 2:32 am
Researchers led by Japan's RIKEN institute have created a 'remote-controlled cyborg cockroach' with ultrathin and flexible electronics, including solar.
- Power-Rechargeable Cyborg Insect with Organic Solar Cell Moduleon September 6, 2022 at 8:11 am
A method for making remote controlled cyborg cockroaches has been developed by an international team led by scientists at the RIKEN Cluster for Pioneering Research (CPR).