University of Montreal researchers have discovered a novel molecular mechanism that can potentially slows the aging process and may prevent the progression of some cancers.
In the March 23 online edition of the prestigious journal Aging Cell, scientists from the University of Montreal explain how they found that the antidiabetic drug metformin reduces the production of inflammatory cytokines that normally activate the immune system, but if overproduced can lead to pathological inflammation, a condition that both damages tissues in aging and favors tumor growth.
“Cells normally secrete these inflammatory cytokines when they need to mount an immune response to infection, but chronic production of these same cytokines can also cause cells to age. Such chronic inflammation can be induced, for example by smoking” and old cells are particular proficient at making and releasing cytokines says Dr. Gerardo Ferbeyre, senior author and a University of Montreal biochemistry professor. He adds that, “We were surprised by our finding that metformin could prevent the production of inflammatory cytokines by old cells ”.
The Latest Bing News on:
- Alex Ovechkin Is Showing No Signs of Slowing Down in MVP Raceon November 30, 2021 at 8:55 am
Alex Ovechkin is on fire. He's outscoring his xG while dragging an injury-hit Capitals roster to success. But will he win the Hart Trophy?
- US tracking of virus variants has improved after slow starton November 30, 2021 at 5:05 am
After a slow start, the United States has improved its surveillance system for tracking new coronavirus variants such as omicron, boosting its capacity by tens of thousands of samples per week ...
- Slow iPhone or iPad? Try these tips to speed up older Apple deviceson November 30, 2021 at 12:58 am
The tips and tricks will speed up your old iPhone or iPad and solve issues such as random app crashes and freezes.
- Beneo: Positive Agingon November 29, 2021 at 11:23 am
For those over-50’s concerned about the issue of healthy aging, three out of every four (79%) are primarily focused on maintaining their ability to continue with activities as they age. A similar ...
- Aging for Amateurs: COVID seclusion teaches elders to tell time differentlyon November 29, 2021 at 3:00 am
During the COVID-19 pandemic, usual routines and milestones which mark the "regular" flow of time were stalled, leaving many feeling stuck in a mud puddle. Now that things are getting ...
- The Best Anti-Aging Diets, According to Scienceon November 26, 2021 at 4:15 am
The food that you eat can affect your health in various ways, including the fact that it can help to keep you looking youthful and feeling the same way. Now, researchers have determined which ...
- The Best Foods for Men to Slow Aging After 50, Say Dietitianson November 24, 2021 at 5:13 am
As the old saying goes, you are what you eat. So, if your goal is to be more youthful, here are the best foods for men after 50.
- 428: The Simple At-Home Gene Test To Customize Your Supplements, Prevent Disease & Slow Aging | Kashif Khanon November 22, 2021 at 4:00 pm
Check out this great listen on Audible.com. You don’t get to choose your DNA. But you CAN choose to live your life in a way that’s best for your unique genetic makeup. In this episode, I’m chatting ...
- Aging Without Fearon November 19, 2021 at 9:29 am
We’re barraged with anti-aging sentiment in our culture, whether it’s jokes about going senile or marketing focused on “looking young.” But there are folks out there accepting aging for what it is — ...
- The Best Foods to Slow Aging After 50, Say Dietitianson November 19, 2021 at 5:12 am
These foods are known to slow the aging process after 50 because of their specific vitamins and nutrients found in each type.
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- Metformin does not improve efficacy of chemo in non-small cell lung cancer: JAMAon November 30, 2021 at 7:30 pm
Metformin addition to chemoradiotherapy may be associated with worse treatment efficacy and increased toxicity in patients with non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) compared with combined modality ...
- Anji Pharma Fully Enrolls Cohort at Leading Beijing Hospital to Ready Global ANJ900 Pivotal Program in Asiaon November 30, 2021 at 7:13 am
Anji Pharma ("Anji"), an emerging global medicines company, today announced full enrollment for a confirmatory study in Chinese healthy participants for a delayed-release formulation of metformin ...
- Fractyl Health Announces the FDA's Authorization of Expanding the Revitalize-1 Study's Sample Sizeon November 30, 2021 at 5:10 am
Fractyl Health, an organ-editing metabolic therapeutics company focused on pioneering a new approach to the treatment of type 2 diabetes (T2D), announced today the United States Food and Drug ...
- Metformin-associated lactic acidosis exacerbated by acute kidney injury in an overseas traveler.on November 28, 2021 at 9:10 pm
We report the case of metformin-associated lactic acidosis (MALA) exacerbated by acute kidney injury (AKI) in a 65-year-old Asian American woman who was an overseas traveler. She had vomiting and ...
- CURATIVE BIOTECHNOLOGY ANNOUNCES OCULAR TOLERANCE EVALUATION OF METFORMIN EYE DROP FORMULATIONS FOR TREATMENT OF MACULAR DEGENERATIONon November 24, 2021 at 10:27 am
Paul Michaels, Chairman and President of Curative Biotech said, “Significantly for our future IND filing, we are also measuring metformin concentration in the plasma to evaluate systemic exposure.
- CURATIVE BIOTECHNOLOGY ANNOUNCES OCULAR TOLERANCE EVALUATION OF METFORMIN EYE DROP FORMULATIONS FOR TREATMENT OF MACULAR DEGENERATIONon November 24, 2021 at 7:03 am
As a significant step towards moving into human clinical trials, the current studies focus on tolerability and pharmacokinetics which will assess the ocular tissue distribution after topical ocular ...
- Off-Label Metformin for Prediabetes With High BMI Improves Cardiovascular Outcomeson November 23, 2021 at 8:25 am
Researchers analyzed data taken from EHR insurance claims of 149,654 patients aged 25 years and older between January 2016 and September 2020.
- Diabetes Drug Offers Hope for Families with Rare Cancer-Causing Genetic Conditionon November 23, 2021 at 7:05 am
Investigators hope that the widely-used diabetes drug metformin may be able to prevent or delay the emergence of cancer in people with LFS. If successful, metformin would be the first effective ...
- Some Diabetes Drugs Linked to Lower COVID-19 Death Riskon November 17, 2021 at 1:04 pm
While metformin and sulfonylureas were linked to a lower death risk, insulin was linked to a higher risk of death from COVID-19, according to a recent analysis.