“We know it will do an effective job of destroying harmful bacteria within food”
Michigan Technological University researcher Jaroslaw Drelich and professor of materials science and engineering, has discovered a way to destroy harmful microbes before they have a chance to make their way into our bodies. His discovery was of a copper-based antimicrobial compound that, if implanted in the inert compound vermiculite – typically found in potting soil – it would reduce or eliminate harmful bacterias usually found in food products.
The discovery, however, was more the method of prevention rather than the use of a new compound. Drelich found that if you embed nanoparticles of copper into vermiculite it could prove to be an effective way of making the food supply safer.
Initial tests proved the theory and method was sound. When used in local lake water, the nanoparticles of copper combined with the inexpensive compound vermiculite killed 100 percent of E.Coli bacteria in the sample. The combination of compounds also proved effective in exterminating Staphylococcus aureus, the common strain of staph bacteria. To reinforce examples, there have been other studies that prove copper is toxic to Listeria, Salmonella and the antibiotic-resistant bacteria Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA), which is a bacterium responsible for difficult treatment infections in humans.
Drelich explained how copper is harmful to microorganisms other than just bacteria, such as viruses and fungi, and that it could be found useful within the food industry. If the copper-vermiculite compound were incorporated into food packaging materials, it could be of some aid to preventing an assortment of foodborne diseases.
The copper-vermiculite material does mix well with other materials, like cardboard and plastic, meaning it can be viably integrated in foodstuff packaging: packing beads, boxes and cellulose-based egg cartons, for example.
The Latest Bing News on:
- Center for Food Safety files lawsuit against a Cape Vincent farm, owner says it has no meriton March 31, 2023 at 1:43 pm
Just blown away. One hundred percent, just could not believe it,” said Lyle Wood, President of Wood Farms, LLC.That was Wood’s reaction when he first found out his farm is facing a civil suit from the ...
- DOST-PCHRD features program for nutrition and food safetyon March 31, 2023 at 7:09 am
Marcos Jr. to ensure global food and nutrition security, the Department of Science and Technology (DOST) – Philippine Council for Health Research and Development (PCHRD) presented the “ Bacteriophage ...
- 7 failed food safety inspections at Tri-Cities area restaurants, other businesseson March 31, 2023 at 5:00 am
The Benton Franklin Health District gave failing grades to seven restaurants and other businesses that sell food and drinks in food safety inspections from March 18 to 24. All were followup ...
- Why 2 eateries were cited for excessive food safety violations, but only 1 was closed downon March 31, 2023 at 5:00 am
Thurston County recently reported excessive food safety violations at two south Thurston County restaurants, but only one of them was closed down. Inspectors closed Sonja’s Café in Rainier on March 22 ...
- Berks food safety inspections found 1 restaurant with 17 violationson March 31, 2023 at 3:54 am
All food vendors are inspected at least once a year. Other inspections can be triggered by a change of owner, a follow up if a facility had been out of compliance or by a complaint filed with the PDA.
- Berks food safety inspectionson March 30, 2023 at 9:40 pm
Reading, Muhlenberg Township and the rest of the county. Reading and Muhlenberg Township have their own food safety inspectors and the rest of the ...
- Top food safety official to testify before Congress on next year's budget following infant formula shortageon March 29, 2023 at 6:56 am
The current Food and Drug Administration commissioner will testify on the president's 2024 budget on Wednesday afternoon.
- FAO sets out food safety priorities for coming yearson March 27, 2023 at 9:00 pm
The Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) of the United Nations has revealed how it will try to help improve food safety over the next few years. The ...
- Lake County General Health District relaunches Food Safety Ninja websiteon March 24, 2023 at 8:50 pm
The Lake County General Health District has announced the re-launch of the Food Safety Ninja website, The newly designed website provides important food safety information ...
- 5 Things Our Food Safety Expert Would Never Doon March 23, 2023 at 5:00 pm
I can’t say I’m the most conscientious about food safety. I’m negligent about expiration dates, I leave rice in the pot overnight (which can cause food poisoning), and I love a raw bar (read ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
[google_news title=”” keyword=”food safety” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
The Latest Bing News on:
- Copper Continuous Contracton March 29, 2023 at 4:23 pm
2-Year U.S. Treasury Note Continuous Contract $103.160-0.059-0.06% 5-Year U.S. Treasury Note Continuous Contract $109.148-0.094-0.09% 10-Year U.S. Treasury Note Continuous Contract $114.406-0.125 ...
- The Life-Changing Magic Of Compound Intereston March 28, 2023 at 3:10 pm
Commissions do not affect our editors' opinions or evaluations. Compound interest is when the interest you earn on a balance in a savings or investing account is reinvested, earning you more interest.
- Where to find Minecraft copper in 1.19 and its useson March 28, 2023 at 8:24 am
Minecraft copper has many facets, but a fun quirk that veteran players will adore is that Minecraft copper turns green over time when naturally exposed to the elements, making a unique building ...
- Investing in Copper ETFson March 27, 2023 at 6:35 am
Copper is one of the most widely used metals on the planet. It's an excellent conductor of electricity, making it vital for electrical applications. Copper is also growing in importance as the ...
- What is compound interest? Understanding this financial term can save you thousands of dollars over timeon March 23, 2023 at 9:42 am
Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. Compound interest is a term you've probably heard of, but understanding just how it works can save you in the long run. A study that looked at ...
- Healthy Foods High in Copperon March 22, 2023 at 5:00 pm
Copper is a naturally occurring element that’s essential for many bodily functions. It’s found in a wide range of food — there’s even trace amounts in drinking water — making it easy to ...
- Vermiculite Market Key Vendors and Forecast till 2028on March 20, 2023 at 8:26 pm
The "Vermiculite Market" Study Describes how the technology industry is evolving and how major and emerging players in ...
- METALS-Copper prices rise in volatile marketon March 20, 2023 at 5:04 am
LONDON, March 20 (Reuters) - Copper prices rose in volatile trade on Monday, supported by a weaker dollar and signs of improving demand from top consumer China. Benchmark copper CMCU3 on the ...
- 10 Best Copper Stocks To Buy For 2023on March 17, 2023 at 8:54 pm
Photo by Ricardo Gomez Angel on Unsplash Best Copper Stocks To Buy For 2023 10. Taseko Mines Limited (NYSE:TGB) Number of Hedge Fund Holders: 6 Taseko Mines Limited (NYSE:TGB) is a mining company ...
- Identifying organic compounds with visible lighton March 17, 2023 at 5:59 pm
More information: Thulasi Bikku et al, Machine Learning Identification of Organic Compounds Using Visible Light, The Journal of Physical Chemistry A (2023). DOI: 10.1021/acs.jpca.2c07955 Journal ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
[google_news title=”” keyword=”copper-vermiculite compound” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]