“This technique allows you to achieve ‘theoretical density,’ meaning it eliminates all of the porosity in the material”
A researcher from North Carolina State University has developed a technique for creating high-density ceramic materials that requires far lower temperatures than current techniques – and takes less than a second, as opposed to hours. Ceramics are used in a wide variety of technologies, including body armor, fuel cells, spark plugs, nuclear rods and superconductors.
At issue is a process known as “sintering,” which is when ceramic powders (such as zirconia) are compressed into a desired shape and exposed to high heat until the powder particles are bound together into a solid, but slightly porous, material. But new research from Dr. Jay Narayan, John C. Fan Distinguished Chair Professor of Materials Science and Engineering at NC State, may revolutionize the sintering process.
Narayan’s new technique, selective-melt sintering, allows sintering of yttria-stabilized zirconia at 800 degrees Celsius (C) – instead of the conventional 1450 C. In addition, using the selective-melt sintering technique, it is possible to sinter zirconia at 800 C in less than a second, and create a material with no porosity at all. In contrast, traditional sintering techniques take four to five hours at 1450 C.
“This technique allows you to achieve ‘theoretical density,’ meaning it eliminates all of the porosity in the material,” Narayan says. “This increases the strength of the ceramic, as well as improving its optical, magnetic and other properties.”
The key to Narayan’s approach is the application of an electric field, at approximately 100 volts per centimeter, to the material. When this field is applied, it creates subtle changes in the material’s “grain boundaries” – where atoms from different crystals meet in the material. Namely, the field draws “defects” to the grain boundary. These defects consist of vacancies (missing atoms) which can carry charges. The defects are negatively charged and draw current from the electric field to the area – which raises the temperature along the grain boundary.
The Latest Bing News on:
- Increase production in the Clearwater play with Enerchem’s Drillsol Plus® oil base solutionon May 11, 2022 at 5:52 am
Many drilling operators are currently drilling with water-based polymer, KCL, and Amine systems. Water-Based muds can lead to potential clay swelling due to osmotic differences with fluid migration.
- How Solid-State EV Batteries May Lick the Fast-Charging Degradation Problemon May 10, 2022 at 9:39 am
This long-lived developing technology may indeed be part of the solution—if they can be commercialized relatively soon.
- Technical Ceramic Market Size 2022-27 Industry Share, Growth, Report and Forecast – IMARC Groupon May 9, 2022 at 2:42 pm
According to the latest report by IMARC Group, titled "Global Technical Ceramic Market Size, Share, Industry Trends, Growth, Opportunity and Forecast ...
- Electronic Ceramics Market Size is Expected to Growth US$ 16.8 Billion by 2027 at a CAGR of 5.70% during 2022-2027on May 9, 2022 at 4:42 am
Additionally, the introduction of lightweight and high-performance variants that exhibit greater density, thermal shock resistance, toughness, hardness, chemical and wear resistance, etc., is ...
- Multilayer Ceramic Capacitor Market by Dielectric, Rated Voltage, End-user and Region - Global Forecast to 2027 - ResearchAndMarkets.comon May 5, 2022 at 9:54 am
The multilayer ceramic capacitor (MLCC ... Anticipated growth of the market for smaller components and high-density mounting is likely to increase the demand for MLCCs in the electronics end ...
- Multilayer Ceramic Capacitor Market by Dielectric, Rated Voltage, End-user and Region - Global Forecast to 2027 - ResearchAndMarkets.comon May 5, 2022 at 8:57 am
The “Global Multilayer Ceramic Capacitor Market by Dielectric (Class I (C0G, X8G, U2J), and Class II (X7R, X5R, Y5V, X7S)), Rated Voltage (Low (Up to 50V), Medium (100-630V), and High (1000V & Above)) ...
- Opportunities for High-Performance Polymers in the Semiconductor Spaceon May 4, 2022 at 5:01 pm
especially when high temperatures and chemical cleaning processes are involved. These polymers perform well under extremely harsh conditions, yet they cost relatively less than materials such as ...
- NOV, Inc. (NOV) CEO Clay Williams on Q1 2022 Results - Earnings Call Transcripton April 29, 2022 at 12:34 pm
Clay, I wanted to get your thoughts on how the long cycle part of your business could play out from here. We see a couple of divergent trends. One, obviously, high commodity prices and energy ...
- LTCC Market Size Forecast to Reach US$392.6 Million by 2027on April 21, 2022 at 11:06 am
Some unique properties of glass-ceramics include lower expansion coefficient, high reliability, higher operating temperature, excellent thermal properties, and integration density, which makes it ...
- What Materials Can Be Used for Façade Cladding?on April 14, 2022 at 10:34 pm
Ceramics are formed through the burning of ... For example, Naturclad - W | Parklex Prodema is technically a high density laminated wood panel, manufactured from kraft paper treated with termoset ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- Selective Laser Sintering Market Share 2022 Strategies to Boost Growth, Development, Manufacturers, Industry Size, Trendson May 11, 2022 at 6:38 am
The Selective Laser Sintering Market report summarizes the latest trends, lucrative business expansion opportunities for the companies, for the Selective Laser Sintering manufacturers, suppliers, and ...
- New Admatec Sintering Furnace Enables Ceramic Productionon May 8, 2022 at 5:14 pm
Admatec announced a new furnace that could enable their clients to take on additional production of 3D printed ceramics.
- laser sinteringon May 6, 2022 at 5:00 pm
The real objects of desire though are unlikely to grace the average hackspace. Selective Laser Sintering 3D printers use a laser on a bed of powder to solidify a 3D object layer by layer.
- SSI Sintering Specialties rebrands as DSB Technologieson May 4, 2022 at 11:33 pm
SSI Sintered Specialties announced that it has completed an extensive rebranding to reflect the organization’s focus on new technology opportunities. At the heart of this rebranding effort is the ...
- Sintering Market Size In 2022 with Top Countries Data, Projected CAGR that global Sintering Industry is likely to grow [Report of 108 Pages]on May 1, 2022 at 11:28 pm
The MarketWatch News Department was not involved in the creation of this content. May 02, 2022 (The Expresswire) -- Worldwide "Sintering Market" 2022-2029 is expected to grow significantly during the ...
- selective laser sinteringon April 28, 2022 at 5:00 pm
A technique that has also being around for donkeys’ years is SLS or Selective Laser Sintering, but machines of this type are big, heavy and expensive. However, getting one of those in your own ...
- What Are The Components Of PTFE Sintering Furnaceon April 28, 2022 at 10:25 am
What is PTFE sintering furnace? PTFE sintering furnace is a special furnace applied to the drying of PTFE in the aviation, automotive, household appliances, scientific research and other fields ...
- How To Clean And Maintain The Teflon Sintering Furnaceon April 20, 2022 at 12:11 pm
The main purpose of sintering furnace is heating. In the heating process, the heating speed should be fast. The main purpose of sintering furnace is heating. In the heating process, the heating ...
- Spark Plasma Sintering Market Size, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies and Forecasts by 2022 to 2028on April 14, 2022 at 1:29 am
Global Spark Plasma Sintering Market reports provide in-depth analysis about Industry chain structure, market competition, market size and Share, competitive analysis, technology, cost ...