One advantage of quantum dot-based PVs is that they can be tuned to absorb light over a much wider range of wavelengths
Using exotic particles called quantum dots as the basis for a photovoltaic cell is not a new idea, but attempts to make such devices have not yet achieved sufficiently high efficiency in converting sunlight to power. A new wrinkle added by a team of researchers at Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)—embedding the quantum dots within a forest of nanowires—promises to provide a significant boost.
Photovoltaics (PVs) based on tiny colloidal quantum dots have several potential advantages over other approaches to making solar cells: They can be manufactured in a room-temperature process, saving energy and avoiding complications associated with high-temperature processing of silicon and other PV materials. They can be made from abundant, inexpensive materials that do not require extensive purification, as silicon does. And they can be applied to a variety of inexpensive and even flexible substrate materials, such as lightweight plastics.
But there’s a tradeoff in designing such devices, because of two contradictory needs for an effective PV: A solar cell’s absorbing layer needs to be thin to allow charges to pass readily from the sites where solar energy is absorbed to the wires that carry current away—but it also needs to be thick enough to absorb light efficiently. Improved performance in one of these areas tends to worsen the other, says Joel Jean, a doctoral student in MIT’s Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science (EECS).
“You want a thick film to absorb the light, and you want it thin to get the charges out,” he says. “So there’s a huge discrepancy.”
That’s where the addition of zinc oxide nanowires can play a useful role, says Jean, who is the lead author of a paper to be published in Advanced Materials. The paper is co-authored by chemistry professor Moungi Bawendi, materials science and engineering professor Silvija Grade?ak, EECS professor Vladimir Bulovi?, and three other graduate students and a postdoctoral researcher.
These nanowires are conductive enough to extract charges easily, but long enough to provide the depth needed for light absorption, Jean says. Using a bottom-up growth process to grow these nanowires and infiltrating them with lead-sulfide quantum dots produces a 50% boost in the current generated by the solar cell, and a 35% increase in overall efficiency, Jean says. The process produces a vertical array of these nanowires, which are transparent to visible light, interspersed with quantum dots.
“If you shine light along the length of the nanowires, you get the advantage of depth,” he says. But also, “you decouple light absorption and charge carrier extraction, since the electrons can hop sideways onto a nearby nanowire and be collected.”
One advantage of quantum dot-based PVs is that they can be tuned to absorb light over a much wider range of wavelengths than conventional devices, Jean says.
The Latest Bing News on:
Quantum dot-based photovoltaics
- Researchers develop world's most efficient quantum dot solar cellon February 20, 2024 at 4:00 pm
The findings have been published in Nature Energy ("Alkyl ammonium iodide-based ligand exchange strategy for high-efficiency organic-cation perovskite quantum dot solar cells"). Photovoltaic ...
- What Are Graphene Quantum Dots (GQDs)?on February 15, 2024 at 3:13 am
Graphene quantum dots (GQDs) are a part of the carbon quantum dots family ... Optical properties of GQDs have been explored based on PL spectroscopy and their absorption in the visible and ultraviolet ...
- Researchers solve a foundational problem in transmitting quantum informationon February 12, 2024 at 4:00 pm
More information: Kazuyuki Kuroyama et al, Coherent Interaction of a Few-Electron Quantum Dot with a Terahertz Optical Resonator, Physical Review Letters (2024). DOI: 10.1103/PhysRevLett.132. ...
- Quantum cutting, upconversion, and temperature sensing help with thermal management in silicon-based solar cellson February 4, 2024 at 4:00 pm
Preparation of F-passivated ZnO for quantum dot photovoltaics Nov 10, 2023 Improving dopant-free polymeric hole transport materials for perovskite quantum dot solar cells ...
- Quantum dot solar cells break efficiency record, silicon in its sightson January 30, 2024 at 9:14 pm
Engineers at UNIST in South Korea have created quantum dot solar cells with a world record ... up the tech and make a wider range of surfaces photovoltaic. The research was published in the ...
- Quantum Dots: Heralding a Brighter Future for Clinical Diagnosticson January 4, 2024 at 4:00 pm
Table 2. Selected quantum dot-based diagnostic applications. QDs Application Ref. CdTe/CdS QDs conjugated to goat anti-mouse IgG secondary antibodies In sandwich and reverse-phase immunoassay ...
- Non-toxic materials open door for better cameras on consumer electronicson January 4, 2024 at 6:42 am
Shortwave infrared (SWIR) light is invisible to our eyes, but it can potentially revolutionize various industries, from robotics and automotive to consumer electronics. This is because SWIR light ...
- Non-toxic quantum dots pave the way towards CMOS shortwave infrared image sensors for consumer electronicson January 3, 2024 at 7:15 am
Colloidal quantum dots (CQD)-based image sensor technology offers ... of the AsBiS 2 technology to enhance the performance of photovoltaic devices, the researchers obtained silver telluride ...
- Quantum dots: TV screen crystals win Chemistry Nobel Prizeon October 3, 2023 at 5:01 pm
Three US-based scientists won the prize for pioneering quantum dots that were once thought impossible to make The Nobel Prize for chemistry has been awarded to three scientists for their work in ...
- Colloidal Quantum Dot Optoelectronics and Photovoltaicson August 31, 2023 at 11:08 pm
Capturing the most up-to-date research in colloidal quantum dot (CQD) devices, this book is written in an accessible style by the world's leading experts. The application of CQDs in solar cells, ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
Quantum dot-based photovoltaics
[google_news title=”” keyword=”quantum dot-based photovoltaics” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
The Latest Bing News on:
- Why strong solar flare didn't disrupt cell phone service or cause auroraon February 24, 2024 at 6:09 am
Solar flares, coronal mass ejections and radiation storms are different types of energy eruptions from the sun.
- Bright idea: Orange County offers partly used solar panels free. Here’s how to get yours.on February 24, 2024 at 4:00 am
A pivotal piece of Orange County history could put a free shine on someone’s future. That’s the deal of the “Great Solar Giveaway 2024” event. Some 5,808 partly used solar panels belonging to the ...
- Top 8 Cheapest Solar Panels 2024: Affordable & Good Quality Solar Companieson February 23, 2024 at 1:00 pm
DaranEner’s cheapest solar panels have received favorable feedback from customers. The panels offer affordability, with the NEO300 being highly regarded for its portability and convenience. On the ...
- How do solar panels work? Your renewable energy system explainedon February 23, 2024 at 5:48 am
Solar panels work by converting sunlight into an electric charge that produces electricity for your home. You either use the electricity or store it for later.
- Can solar flares cause cell phone outages? Here’s what experts say.on February 22, 2024 at 10:21 pm
Two powerful solar flares erupted minutes before a nationwide cellular service outage impacted millions of mobile users Thursday morning, and many people on social media quickly theorized that the ...
- Solar flares or sabotage: TikTok has theories about what happened with today’s massive cell phone outageon February 22, 2024 at 5:35 pm
Solar flares and cell phones outages spark speculation after big network connectivity problems across the United States.
- Solar cell prices hold steady as market weighs feasibility of increasing priceson February 22, 2024 at 4:01 pm
Solar cell FOB China prices have stayed unchanged, with not much real trading taking place as price negotiations for orders delivered in March are still ongoing. Mono PERC M10 and G12 cell prices ...
- Solar flares? Russian nukes? Theories swirl for what caused nationwide cell outageon February 22, 2024 at 10:16 am
It was like a game of telephone, only with no cell phone service. Theories about Thursday massive disruption swirled on social media, with blame for the widespread outage leveled at US foes Russia ...
- Amorphous solar cells with FIDO technology are more efficient, stable and lightweighton February 22, 2024 at 8:51 am
A group led by researchers at Nagoya University in Japan has created a material based on fullerene indanones (FIDO), which promises to improve the durability of next-generation solar cells. Durability ...
- Powerful twin solar flares erupt from sun as cell phone outages spike across US (video)on February 22, 2024 at 7:49 am
Two outbursts from the sun occurred as widespread cellphone outages were reported throughout the United States on Thursday (Feb. 22).Two powerful solar flares erupted from the sun on the evening of ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
[google_news title=”” keyword=”solar cells” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]