One advantage of quantum dot-based PVs is that they can be tuned to absorb light over a much wider range of wavelengths
Using exotic particles called quantum dots as the basis for a photovoltaic cell is not a new idea, but attempts to make such devices have not yet achieved sufficiently high efficiency in converting sunlight to power. A new wrinkle added by a team of researchers at Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)—embedding the quantum dots within a forest of nanowires—promises to provide a significant boost.
Photovoltaics (PVs) based on tiny colloidal quantum dots have several potential advantages over other approaches to making solar cells: They can be manufactured in a room-temperature process, saving energy and avoiding complications associated with high-temperature processing of silicon and other PV materials. They can be made from abundant, inexpensive materials that do not require extensive purification, as silicon does. And they can be applied to a variety of inexpensive and even flexible substrate materials, such as lightweight plastics.
But there’s a tradeoff in designing such devices, because of two contradictory needs for an effective PV: A solar cell’s absorbing layer needs to be thin to allow charges to pass readily from the sites where solar energy is absorbed to the wires that carry current away—but it also needs to be thick enough to absorb light efficiently. Improved performance in one of these areas tends to worsen the other, says Joel Jean, a doctoral student in MIT’s Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science (EECS).
“You want a thick film to absorb the light, and you want it thin to get the charges out,” he says. “So there’s a huge discrepancy.”
That’s where the addition of zinc oxide nanowires can play a useful role, says Jean, who is the lead author of a paper to be published in Advanced Materials. The paper is co-authored by chemistry professor Moungi Bawendi, materials science and engineering professor Silvija Grade?ak, EECS professor Vladimir Bulovi?, and three other graduate students and a postdoctoral researcher.
These nanowires are conductive enough to extract charges easily, but long enough to provide the depth needed for light absorption, Jean says. Using a bottom-up growth process to grow these nanowires and infiltrating them with lead-sulfide quantum dots produces a 50% boost in the current generated by the solar cell, and a 35% increase in overall efficiency, Jean says. The process produces a vertical array of these nanowires, which are transparent to visible light, interspersed with quantum dots.
“If you shine light along the length of the nanowires, you get the advantage of depth,” he says. But also, “you decouple light absorption and charge carrier extraction, since the electrons can hop sideways onto a nearby nanowire and be collected.”
One advantage of quantum dot-based PVs is that they can be tuned to absorb light over a much wider range of wavelengths than conventional devices, Jean says.
The Latest Bing News on:
Quantum dot-based photovoltaics
- New Mexico-based ‘quantum dot’ maker growing by leaps and boundson May 21, 2022 at 1:43 am
Los Alamos-based Ubiquitous Quantum Dots, or UbiQD Inc., is turning the ... But until now, most commercial development has focused on applying photovoltaic cells directly to windows, which is ...
- Worldwide Graphene Quantum Dots Industry to 2030 - Key Drivers, Challenges, Trends and Opportunities - ResearchAndMarkets.comon May 19, 2022 at 10:30 am
The "Global Graphene Quantum Dots Market Outlook 2020-2030" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering.
- Quantum Dots Market Revenue, Growth Analysis, Opportunities, Business Strategies, Key Players, Demand and Impact of COVIDon May 18, 2022 at 7:24 pm
Overview The Quantum Dots Market is projected to grow at a CAGR of 26.45% during the forecast period. As per the ...
- Quantum Dots (QD) Technology Market May See a Big Move : LG Display, Life Technologies, Microvisionon May 18, 2022 at 4:49 am
Technology Market Research Report provides detailed assessment of Key and emerging players showcasing company profiles, ...
- Quantum Dots Market Industry Share, Size,Growth:2022 Market Research with Manufacturers, Segments and 2028 Forecasts Researchon May 18, 2022 at 12:04 am
Global Quantum Dots Market Research Report is an In-Depth Analysis of the Latest Developments, Market Size, Status, upcoming technologies, industry drivers, challenges, regulatory policies, with key ...
- Photodetectors Cells Quantum Dots Market - Global Industry Share, Size, Growth, Demands, Revenue, Top Leaders and Forecast by 2027on May 17, 2022 at 6:22 pm
A new business intelligence report released by Data Bridge Market Research with title “Photodetectors Cells Quantum ...
- Quantum Dot Display (QLED) Market size to maintain over 2022-2028on May 17, 2022 at 5:00 pm
The Quantum Dot Display (QLED) market analysis summarizes the movements in this area together with the growth rate in the forecast period 2022-2028. The report highlights important growth drivers as ...
- Quantum Dots News and Researchon April 25, 2022 at 5:00 pm
An all-solid-state SARS-CoV-2 protein biosensor using lead sulfide colloidal quantum dots ... the role of carbon-based nanomaterials (CBNs), such as fullerene, carbon dots, graphene, and their ...
- An Introduction to Photovoltaics Beyond Conventional Siliconon August 15, 2020 at 5:57 am
This white paper introduces the following technologies and gives an in depth introduction to the Photovoltaics Beyond Conventional ... From Dye Sensitized Solar Cells (DSSCs) to Quantum Dot sensitized ...
- The rise of colloidal quantum dotson April 24, 2019 at 12:21 pm
The prospects for solution-processed photovoltaics based on colloidal quantum dots are outlined in this month's Progress Article by Edward Sargent from the University of Toronto 5. As he explains ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
Quantum dot-based photovoltaics
The Latest Bing News on:
- NC solar panel installers, Duke Energy reach a deal. Here’s how your bill would work.on May 27, 2022 at 3:01 am
Here, workers from Yes Solar Solutions are shown installing solar panels on a Wake Forest home earlier this year. Travis Long [email protected] Duke Energy and three North Carolina solar ...
- Q Cells confirms location of next US solar panel factoryon May 26, 2022 at 10:01 pm
Q Cells has revealed that its new solar panel manufacturing facility will be located in Dalton, Georgia, near its 1.7 GW module factory. It is expected to come online as early as the first half of ...
- Plastic Solar Cell Market to Generate $386.3 Mn, Globally, by 2026 at 88.0% CAGRon May 26, 2022 at 8:40 pm
Allied Market Research recently published a report, “Plastic Solar Cell Market by Type (PN Junction Structure (P-N Heterojunction), ...
- Korean solar panel firm to hire 470 at $171M Georgia planton May 26, 2022 at 4:37 pm
A Korean solar panel maker will expand its presence in Georgia by building a new $171 million plant next to an existing factory ...
- Korean solar panel maker expands Dalton plant with 470 more workerson May 26, 2022 at 1:49 pm
One of the world's biggest solar panel makers made it official Thursday, confirming it will invest $171 million to expand its facility in Dalton, Georgia and add 470 more jobs in Whitfield County.
- Tariffs on solar panels threaten Biden's climate change goalson May 26, 2022 at 10:47 am
A Department of Commerce investigation into whether China is circumventing tariffs on its solar energy products is slowing the expansion of solar power capacity in the U.S., according to industry and ...
- How Long Do Solar Panels Last?on May 26, 2022 at 10:00 am
Get expert advice on improvements to your home, including design tips, how much you'd expect to pay for a pro and what to ask when hiring experts.
- Georgia gives US solar panel manufacturing a big boost with a new factoryon May 26, 2022 at 8:58 am
Solar-cell manufacturing giant Q Cells today announced that it's opening a new solar panel manufacturing facility in Dalton, Georgia.
- Global Perovskite Solar Cells Market is Projected to Reach USD 2,012.8 Million by 2027- Exclusive Report by Astute Analyticaon May 26, 2022 at 7:33 am
New Delhi, May 26, 2022 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- According to the study undertaken by Astute Analytica, the Global Perovskite Solar Cells Market is projected to make a rise in its revenue from US$ 442 ...
- Interested in Solar Panels? Here Is Some Advice.on May 24, 2022 at 10:44 am
Buying a solar energy system can be expensive and confusing. Here are some things to think about if you are in the market for solar panels.