Up until now, the invisibility cloaks put forward by scientists have been fairly bulky contraptions – an obvious flaw for those interested in Harry Potter-style applications.
However, researchers from the US have now developed a cloak that is just micrometres thick and can hide three-dimensional objects from microwaves in their natural environment, in all directions and from all of the observers’ positions.
Presenting their study today, 26 March, in the Institute of Physics and German Physical Society’s New Journal of Physics, the researchers, from the University of Texas at Austin, have used a new, ultrathin layer called a “metascreen”.
The metascreen cloak was made by attaching strips of 66 µm-thick copper tape to a 100 µm-thick, flexible polycarbonate film in a fishnet design. It was used to cloak an 18 cm cylindrical rod from microwaves and showed optimal functionality when the microwaves were at a frequency of 3.6 GHz and over a moderately broad bandwidth.
The researchers also predict that due to the inherent conformability of the metascreen and the robustness of the proposed cloaking technique, oddly shaped and asymmetrical objects can be cloaked with the same principles.
Objects are detected when waves – whether they are sound, light, x-rays or microwaves – rebound off its surface. The reason we see objects is because light rays bounce off their surface towards our eyes and our eyes are able to process the information.
Whilst previous cloaking studies have used metamaterials to divert, or bend, the incoming waves around an object, this new method, which the researchers dub “mantle cloaking”, uses an ultrathin metallic metascreen to cancel out the waves as they are scattered off the cloaked object.
“When the scattered fields from the cloak and the object interfere, they cancel each other out and the overall effect is transparency and invisibility at all angles of observation,” said co-author of the study Professor Andrea Alu.
“The advantages of the mantle cloaking over existing techniques are its conformability, ease of manufacturing and improved bandwidth. We have shown that you don’t need a bulk metamaterial to cancel the scattering from an object – a simple patterned surface that is conformal to the object may be sufficient and, in many regards, even better than a bulk metamaterial.”
Last year, the same group of researchers were the first to successfully cloak a 3D object in another paper published in New Journal of Physics, using a method called “plasmonic cloaking”, which used more bulky materials to cancel out the scattering of waves.
Moving forward, one of the key challenges for the researchers will be to use “mantle cloaking” to hide an object from visible light.
“In principle this technique could also be used to cloak light,” continued Professor Alu.
The Latest Bing News on:
- Gender self-ID will offer a dangerous ‘invisibility cloak’on May 17, 2022 at 4:01 pm
The involvement of the state with an individual’s identity is not intended as a feel-good exercise in validating how they feel, but attesting to who they actual ...
- Gender Reform Act may let criminals hide paston May 17, 2022 at 5:36 am
Criminals will exploit loopholes in the SNP’s planned reforms to gender laws as an “invisibility cloak” to hide past offending, campaigners have claimed. Ministers plan to scrap the need to ...
- Chinese military scientists say they have created ‘invisibility cloak’ that can help hide equipment from spy satellite radaron May 6, 2022 at 2:12 pm
A team of Chinese military researchers said that they have developed an invisibility cloak that can hide ground military targets from spy radar satellites. Hiding objects from advanced military ...
- Call of Duty RICOCHET Cheat Detection Looks to Apply ‘Invisibility Cloak’ to Legit Playerson April 29, 2022 at 3:38 am
Namely, if it detects that someone is cheating, every other player will now (possibly) be getting a free invisibility cloak! As part of the announcement, Activision has released a blog post in ...
- New invisibility cloak for therapeutics: Holger Frey receives ERC Advanced Grant to support his innovative researchon April 26, 2022 at 10:33 am
The technique involves concealing active biopharmaceuticals under a kind of "cloak of invisibility" by means of conjugation with the polymer polyethylene glycol (PEG). Consequently, they are not ...
- Death lasers, invisibility cloaks and space NUKES – scariest future US military tech revealedon April 25, 2022 at 9:06 am
Here are some of the most terrifying being built. The Pentagon commissioned research into invisibility cloaks inspired by Fantastic Four character the Invisible Woman, a secret Pentagon document ...
- Stargates, invisibility cloaks, and nuking the moon: The US military’s wildest tech researchon April 22, 2022 at 3:54 pm
Credit: Andrew Gustar In a 2009 document sent to the then-deputy secretary of defense, the DIA praised a report on invisibility cloaks: Overall, this is a nice qualitative description of the ...
- The US government was funding research into worm holes and invisibility cloakson April 21, 2022 at 5:00 pm
A new set of previously confidential documents shows that the United States government was conducting research on invisibility cloaks, worm holes, and more. The documents detail projects that the ...
- Federal government spent $22M studying invisibility cloaks, anti-gravity, and moon tunnelon April 21, 2022 at 12:48 pm
The projects dating back to 2009 include those focused on invisibility cloaking, traversable wormholes, negative energy, anti-gravity, high-frequency gravitational wave communications, and a ...
- Killer space lasers, invisibility cloaks & crowd-control heat ray among weapons US gov’s UFO program proposed, docs showon April 21, 2022 at 4:41 am
Bending the light around an object would create the "ultimate optical illusion: invisibility." Officials also feared that it if had gone ahead with the program it could’ve resulted in the ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- Doctor Strange: How is the Sorcerer Supreme Title Earned, Anyways?on May 14, 2022 at 5:19 am
So, to challenge him, he cast an illusion of the Vishanti and tricked Strange into handing over the mantle. Loki was given the Sanctum Sanatorium and repaired the Cloak of Levitation using Asgardian ...
- "Doctor Strange 2" May Introduce a New Love Interest For Strangeon May 5, 2022 at 7:43 am
As you might have guessed, "Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness" introduces plenty of new characters and new variants of characters we've met before. One of the most intriguing introductions, ...
- New documents reveal US government considered ‘nuking the moon’ for mineralson April 27, 2022 at 12:39 am
The plan never materialised but it would’ve involved using thermonuclear devices to blast through the lunar crust and mantle ... how to achieve invisibility cloaking as part of the wild claims.
- Wild plan to NUKE the moon considered by US government’s secret UFO program, newly released reports revealon April 20, 2022 at 7:23 am
The plan never materialized but it would’ve involved using thermonuclear devices to blast through the lunar crust and mantle ... how to achieve invisibility cloaking as part of the wild claims.
- Queen of the Universeon April 12, 2022 at 11:24 am
Most of her gentle and serene face is a visible. The cloak swings out behind her to fall to the foot of the rock on which she is seated. The suggestion of the traditional 'mantle Virgin' (Schutzmantel ...