State-of-the-art device to assist the elderly and disabled with sitting, standing and walking
Five years ago, Anurag Purwar, a Research Associate Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering at Stony Brook University, received a request to fashion a medical device to help the mobility of a friend and retired physician suffering from the debilitating effects of post-polio syndrome. The physician had a walker, but unless another person was around to help, he couldn’t raise himself out of a chair to use it.
After conducting some preliminary research, Professor Purwar was surprised to learn that there were no devices on the market that fit those with this particular need. “Today, in the United States, there are more than two million people over the age of 64 who find it difficult to rise from a chair without assistance,” said Professor Purwar. “Biomechanically, sitting and standing involve complex movements that require muscle strength greater than other activities of daily life.”
Utilizing his machine design background, Professor Purwar came up with a solution with the help of his student Thomas Galeotafiore and others – a portable, compact, multifunctional mobility assist device that helps a person with standing, sitting and walking independently with support only from the device. The device, resembling a walker but with support bars, a pelvic harness and novel linkage controlled by the user with a remote, is designed to mimic the natural standing motion of a human body. “The most obvious advantage of the device is that it gives the opportunity for more independence,” said Purwar. “It can also help protect patients and caregivers from accidental falls and back injuries.”
The Latest Bing News on:
Portable Mobility Assist Device
- A comprehensive guide to top 10 robust speakers in India under ₹5,000on September 20, 2022 at 8:31 am
Because our extensive list of Bluetooth speakers includes portable, wireless ... version follows the trend of connecting multiple devices such as mobile phones, audio players, tablets, desktop ...
- Elderly and Disabled Assistive Devices Market to Gain a Value Worth US$31.6 Bn by 2028on September 19, 2022 at 5:19 am
Devices that assist the elderly and disabled patients ... The market for these devices can be broadly categorized into medical mobility aids & ambulatory devices, medical furniture & bathroom ...
- Injection Molder Helps Bring Portable Ventilator to Marketon September 14, 2022 at 5:00 pm
Related: COVID-19: Why We Need Transparency . . . in Face Coverings and PPEs The Venti-Now ventilator is a pneumatic mechanical device. Small and portable, it is designed ... and PMC has the expertise ...
- 3 Reasons to Hold Inogen (INGN) Stock in Your Portfolioon September 14, 2022 at 8:08 am
POCs provide unlimited oxygen supply anywhere, thereby enhancing patient independence and mobility ... the Tidal Assist Ventilator directly into the Inogen One Portable Oxygen Concentrators ...
- Verizon Response: Planned power outages in CA and ORon September 9, 2022 at 4:51 pm
We know how important it is to stay connected when the power goes out. We’re committed to making sure Verizon customers can use their mobile devices during commercial power outages, including Public ...
- Multi-item patient monitor Market is anticipated to be valued at US$ 39.0 Billion in 2022on September 9, 2022 at 3:31 am
These devices are portable and easy-to-use and thus are extensively being ... Paradigm shift of multi-item patient monitors for use in hospitals to use in mobility services and ambulatory centers is ...
- Portable AirLift takes the muscle out of single-worker health careon September 8, 2022 at 11:28 pm
Nursing can be a physically taxing job – particularly when it comes to patient transfers – and it's over-represented in workplace injury statistics. With the nursing workforce getting older, and more ...
- Wearable Pneumatic Assistive Tech with Logic Gate Controlon September 8, 2022 at 5:00 pm
As an example, the researchers have developed a device that would allow someone to raise the hood of a jacket at the touch of a button. Wearables have great potential for people with mobility ...
- Breast-checking device that builds a personalised map of the torso to monitor for lumps wins prestigious UK James Dyson Awardon September 6, 2022 at 5:01 pm
What's more, existing scanners and devices have been developed and designed for use within clinical settings, and so nothing exists to assist women in performing examinations at home.
- AI Device Monitors Breathing to Diagnose Parkinson’son September 5, 2022 at 5:00 pm
The device looks like an internet router and can ... Crucially, the technology may be able to assist in diagnosing Parkinson’s disease much earlier than many conventional techniques and it ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
Portable Mobility Assist Device
The Latest Bing News on:
- Steadicam inventor Garrett Brown’s latest device strives to help people with mobility challengeson September 21, 2022 at 9:54 am
The Zeen device is a cross between a walker and a wheelchair, and aims to help users to stand and move on their own.
- Game anywhere, on any device, with the Logitech G Astro A30 wireless gaming headseton September 21, 2022 at 9:00 am
The Astro A30 wireless gaming headset allows you to play on your console, PC, and mobile device without needing multiple headsets.
- How traffic signal priority technology contributes to increased urban mobility and improved property valueson September 20, 2022 at 5:19 am
AI/cloud-based TSP are now leading the way in helping cities improve their mass transit systems to alleviate gridlock and traffic congestion, improve on-time performance and more.
- Personal Mobility Devices Market - Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends, and Forecast, 2022-2031on September 20, 2022 at 2:51 am
Personal Mobility Devices Market – Scope of Report This report on the global personal mobility devices market studies the past as well as the current growth trends and opportunities to gain valuable ...
- Disability minister promises to correct 'long-standing problem' of airlines damaging mobility aidson September 17, 2022 at 2:00 am
Canada's federal minister of disability inclusion is promising to help reform air travel for people with disabilities after a Toronto advocate's wheelchair was "totally damaged" during an Air Canada ...
- TES and Strides Mobility Sign Memorandum of Understanding on EV Batterieson September 16, 2022 at 6:00 pm
TES has signed a memorandum of understanding (MOU) with established Singapore-based transportation company Strides Mobility to collaborate on lithium-ion battery recycling and electric vehicle (EV) ...
- DENSO to Exhibit, Participate in Mobility-Themed Panels at ITS World Congress 2022on September 16, 2022 at 8:03 am
Vice President of North America R&D to join panels on C-V2X and Edge Computing; booth will feature DENSO's Two Great Causes: Green and Peace of ...
- Taking Aim at the Utility Industry’s Field Mobility Challengeon September 15, 2022 at 12:15 pm
AEP’s seven operating companies spearheaded a multiyear technology effort to make communicating about field work simpler, safer, and smarter.
- Leading Web3 projects join forces to power the future of mobility in a €20+ mln pan-European projecton September 14, 2022 at 10:14 am
Chainstep, peaq, Datarella, 51nodes, Ocean Protocol, Fetch.ai, and deltaDAO collaborate with top industry names including Bosch, Continental, and Airbus as part of Gaia-X moveID project in joint push ...
- LA Council Bans Sharing of Mobility Service Data With Law Enforcementon September 13, 2022 at 12:38 pm
Los Angeles’ Department of Transportation will be prohibited from disclosing mobility service data via its open source tool to law enforcement agencies after the City Council voted to update the ...