PRAM’s operating speed is 1,000 times faster than that of flash memory
Nonvolatile memory that can store data even when not powered is currently used for portable electronics such as smart phones, tablets, and laptop computers. Flash memory is a dominant technology in this field, but its slow writing and erasing speed has led to extensive research into a next-generation nonvolatile memory called Phase-Change Random Access Memory (PRAM), as PRAM’s operating speed is 1,000 times faster than that of flash memory.
PRAM uses reversible phase changes between the crystalline (low resistance) and amorphous (high resistance) state of chalcogenide materials, which corresponds to the data “0” and “1,” respectively. Although PRAM has been partially commercialized up to 512 Mb by Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd., its writing current should be decreased by at least one-third of its present level for the mass production of mobile electronics applications.
A team of Professors Keon Jae Lee and Yeon Sik Jung in the Department of Materials Science and Engineering at KAIST has developed phase-change memory with low power consumption (below 1/20th of its present level) by employing self-assembled block copolymer (BCP) silica nanostructures. Their work was published under the title “Self-Assembled Incorporation of Modulated Block Copolymer Nanostructures in Phase-Change Memory for Switching Power Reduction” in the March issue of ACS Nano, a monthly peer-reviewed scientific journal.
BCP is the mixture of two different polymer materials, which can easily create self-ordered arrays of sub-20 nm features through simple spin-coating and plasma treatments. PRAM can lower switching power consumption by making the contact area smaller between the heating layer and phase change materials. Professor Lee’s team successfully decreased the size of the contact area and the level of power consumption by incorporating self-assembled silica nanostructures on top of conventional phase-change materials. Interestingly, these self-assembled nanomaterials are able to reduce power much more than expected with localized nano-switching mechanisms.
Professor Keun-Jae Lee said, “This is a very good example that self-assembled, bottom-up nanotechnology can actually enhance the performance of electronic devices. We also achieved a significant power reduction through a simple process that is compatible with conventional device structures and existing lithography tools.”
The Latest Bing News on:
Phase-Change Random Access Memory
- What Happened To ReRAM?on September 20, 2022 at 5:01 pm
Developed by Intel and Micron, 3D XPoint technology is a next-generation phase-change ... memory. It could also displace some of the DRAM and NAND. “I don’t think that we will replace one category ...
- San Francisco’s Most Advanced Memory Care Offering is Now Taking Reservation for It’s Phase III Neighborhood.on September 19, 2022 at 12:32 pm
With Phase II of highly anticipated Memory Care now full, Phase III has just started taking reservations to accommodate the growing demand for the person-centered dementia care at Frank Residences.
- Static Random Access Memory Market Research Report 2022 Growth, Recent Trends And Forecast To 2028on September 17, 2022 at 3:31 pm
A market study Global Static Random Access Memory market examines the performance of the Static Random Access Memory market 2022. It encloses an in-depth analysis of the Static Random Access ...
- Static Random Access Memory (SRAM) Market Demand Overview, Growth Innovation, Latest Trends Till 2028on September 17, 2022 at 2:14 pm
Global Static Random Access Memory (SRAM) Market report provides information about the Global industry, including valuable facts and figures. This research study explores the Global Market in ...
- Spin-Transfer Torque Random Access Memory Market 2022 Disclosing Latest Trends and Advancement Outlook 2028 by Key Playerson September 17, 2022 at 8:33 am
In the end, the Spin-Transfer Torque Random Access Memory Market Report delivers a conclusion that includes Breakdown and Data Triangulation, Consumer Needs/Customer Preference Change, Research ...
- The Worldwide Advanced Phase Change Materials...on September 16, 2022 at 3:22 am
Dublin, Sept. 16, 2022 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- The "Advanced Phase Change Materials Market By Application, By Type: Global Opportunity Analysis and Industry Forecast, 2020-2030" report has been added ...
- Thanks For The Memories: Touring The Awesome Random Access Of Oldon September 4, 2022 at 5:00 pm
Static RAM lives in your PC, too, as cache memory where speed is important. For now, at least, these two types of RAM technology dominate the market for fast random access read/write memory.
- Phase Change Materials Market Detailed Overview, Scope, Trends and Industry Research Report till 2028on August 16, 2022 at 10:59 pm
According to The Insight Partners’ Latest Study on “Phase Change Materials Market Forecast to 2028″ Focus on COVID-19 Impact and Global Analysis By Product Type (Organic, Inorganic ...
- Random-Access Memoryon March 18, 2019 at 1:50 pm
All Articles for Random-Access Memory Random-access memory (RAM) is a form of computer data storage. A random-access device allows stored data to be accessed directly in any random order. In ...
- phase change memoryon January 21, 2018 at 9:27 am
A non-volatile, random ... replace flash memory and, ultimately, DRAM memory. Developed by Stanford Ovshinsky, reknowned for his inventions in memories and solar panels, "phase change RAM ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
Phase-Change Random Access Memory
The Latest Bing News on:
- RENEE AND ANDREW MACRAE: Woman 'frightened' by man with 'wide and staring eyes' she saw beside the A9on September 22, 2022 at 6:01 am
The High Court in Inverness heard a statement from woman who said she saw 'stuff heaped on and around' a pram. Details were given in a statement from Jean Wallace, now deceased. Sections of the ...
- RENEE AND ANDREW MACRAE: Woman passenger spotted man with 'staring, wide eyes' beside A9on September 22, 2022 at 5:54 am
The High Court in Inverness heard a statement from woman who said she saw 'stuff heaped on and around' a pram. Details were given in a statement from ...
- Starkville-MSU PRAM members receive regional awardson September 22, 2022 at 4:00 am
Nine was the lucky number for the Starkville-Mississippi State University chapter of the Public Relations Association of Mississippi (PRAM), because that was the number of 2022 Lantern Awards the chap ...
- Baby that fell in St Ives harbour was four-month-old in pramon September 21, 2022 at 6:13 am
A baby who fell from a harbour wall was only four months old and was in a pram at the time of the incident, coastguard have confirmed. HM Falmouth Coastguard said the infant is almost a newborn but ...
- Woman with pram attacked outside Central Square nightclub in Newporton September 21, 2022 at 5:26 am
An appeal has been launched to find two people who helped a woman pushing a child in a pram after she was attacked outside a nightclub. The victim was assaulted outside Central Square in Newport, ...
- Woman pushing pram assaulted outside nightclub - appeal to find pair who came to her aidon September 21, 2022 at 5:00 am
Police are appealing to find two women who they believe helped a woman after she was assaulted outside a nightclub.
- Woman who ‘didn't have enough money for food’ used pram to shoplift grocerieson September 20, 2022 at 11:08 pm
A mother was among three women seen using prams to shoplift groceries as they walked around a supermarket. O limpia Demian (26) was the only one of the three caught and was arrested for stealing food, ...
- 'Spawn of Satan' Footage shows man pushing burning pram along Scots streeton September 19, 2022 at 8:30 pm
Chris Taylor took to Facebook to share the video showing a man being questioned while pushing a children's pram that had been set alight down a quiet residential street.
- How to know if your baby is too big for their pram & when to switch from a bassinet to a seaton September 13, 2022 at 2:38 am
YOU'VE got a shiny new pram ready for your new arrival. But as any new parents, or parents-to-be know, most new prams come with tonnes of various attachments - including different seat options.
- Appeal after pram stolen from outside a shopon September 5, 2022 at 1:40 am
Police investigating the theft of a pram from a shop have released an image of a man they’d like to speak to. Officers were called to Asda, Radford Road, Hyson Green, following reports that a customer ...