Amid efforts to expand production of biofuels, scientists are reporting new estimates that downgrade the amount of additional land available for growing fuel crops by almost 80 percent.
Their report appears in the ACS journal Environmental Science & Technology.
Steffen Fritz and colleagues explain that growing concern exists in the U.S. and the European Union on how production of biofuels will impact food security. This has led to a realization that increased production of biofuels must take place on so-called “marginal land,” acreage not suitable for growing food crops, but capable of growing switch grass, Indian beech trees and Barbados nut trees. Concerned that previous estimates were targeting some areas where land is not marginal, the scientists did the calculations using data obtained through crowdsourcing, which were based on higher-resolution datasets.
They concluded that previous studies had overestimated the amount of arable land, had underestimated the amount of land already being cultivated and had not fully considered other competing uses for land other than farming.
The Latest Bing News on:
Land available for biofuel production
- Enhancing land surface models to grow perennial bioenergy cropson May 14, 2021 at 11:00 am
To understand the effects of this trend, scientists must accurately represent biofuel crops in land surface models. Using observations from biofuel plants in the Midwestern United States, researchers ...
- Six reasons Asia's oil refiners aren't going away anytime soonon May 12, 2021 at 8:00 am
Oil refiners are having to plan for an oil-free future in mobility as cars begin switching to batteries, ships burn natural gas, and innovation brings on other energy sources such as hydrogen.
- Feenstra: Here’s how EPA Administrator Regan can help bolster biofuelson May 4, 2021 at 4:46 am
I will continue making biofuels a top priority in Congress and ensure Iowa biofuels producers have a seat at the table.
- The risks of Britain’s green biofuel narrativeon April 30, 2021 at 7:38 am
Scaling up their use could have "unintended environmental consequences," it says. If no land-use change (from the production of biofuel feedstocks and the risks of degradation of land, forests, water ...
- Incentives could turn costs of biofuel mandates into environmental benefitson April 27, 2021 at 12:27 pm
but production of cellulosic biofuels has been negligible. Targets beyond 2022 are yet to be determined. The biofuel mandates impact the environment in multiple ways—affecting land use ...
- Deputy ag secretary nominee stresses importance of biofuelson April 26, 2021 at 5:00 pm
“I think it will be very important to…educate people on the environmental benefits of biofuels and bioenergy [and] to expand uses for bioenergy.” Bronaugh said it is important that the USDA promote ...
- At 15.2% CAGR, Biofuel Additives Market Size is Expected to Exhibit 17900 million USD by 2025on April 23, 2021 at 6:02 am
Apr 23, 2021 (Market Insight Reports) -- Selbyville, Delaware Market Study Report LLC has added a new report on Biofuel Additives ... are how much arable land is available, what should be the ...
- From smoky skies to a green horizon: Scientists convert fire-risk wood waste into biofuelon April 18, 2021 at 7:45 am
"According to a recent report, by 2050 there will be 38 million metric tons of dry woody biomass available each year, making it an exceptionally abundant carbon source for biofuel production ...
- Adhesives from waste wood, biofuel from strawon April 16, 2021 at 12:00 am
One example is biofuels from energy crops ... their cultivation required arable land that was no longer available for agricultural production. As a result, agricultural imports from countries ...
- Biobased diesel is a proven climate change solutionon April 14, 2021 at 3:49 pm
Biofuels are a ready solution for reducing greenhouse gas emissions and tackling climate change. The virtual session April 13, 2021 hosted by the Diesel Technology Forum is now available in ... diesel ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
Land available for biofuel production
The Latest Bing News on:
- Brazil fuel retailers ask govt to cut ethanol blending in gasolineon May 14, 2021 at 12:07 pm
Fuel retailers in Brazil have asked the government to reduce the amount of ethanol required to be blended into gasoline, saying a smaller production in the current season has reduced the biofuel's ...
- DOE Invests $35 Million to Dramatically Reduce Carbon Footprint of Biofuel Productionon May 14, 2021 at 9:16 am
New Research Projects Will Seek Improvements to Biofuel Manufacturing That Maximize Production While Reducing CO2 Emissions Waste WASHINGTON, D.C. — The U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) today announced ...
- First test of tropical seaweed farming for biofuels production begins off Puerto Ricoon May 13, 2021 at 9:00 pm
A team of researchers led by Loretta Roberson of the Marine Biological Laboratory, Woods Hole, has installed the first seaweed farm in Puerto Rico and U.S. tropical waters. The research array furthers ...
- Nation's Largest Ethanol Producer Poet In Talks to Buy Flint Hills' Plantson May 13, 2021 at 1:41 pm
The nation's largest ethanol producer Poet LLC may be close to reaching a deal to purchase all ethanol assets from Kansas-based Flint Hills Resources.
- EXCLUSIVE-Biofuels processor POET in talks to acquire Flint Hills' ethanol assets -companieson May 13, 2021 at 12:00 pm
POET, the largest biofuels producer in the United States, is in discussions with Flint Hills Resources to acquire the entirety of Flint Hills' ethanol assets, both companies told Reuters on Thursday.
- Transport biofuels production fell 8% in 2020, IEA revealson May 12, 2021 at 6:50 am
Transport biofuel production declined 8% globally in 2020 as the pandemic limited travel, according to figures released by the International Energy Agency (IEA).
- Engineered bacteria show promise for sustainable biofuel industry, researchers sayon May 12, 2021 at 6:12 am
Acetone, a volatile solvent used for everything from removing nail polish and cleaning textiles to manufacturing plastics, could get a sustainability boost from a new strain of bacteria engineered by ...
- Brazil’s Center-South H2 April sugar production expected to drop 27% on year: surveyon May 11, 2021 at 11:24 am
Sugar production in the second half of April in Brazil’s key Center-South region is expected to total 1,483 thousand mt, a plunge of 27% year on year, according to the consensus expectations of ...
- Do Biofuel Stocks ADM and BG Belong in Your Portfolio?on May 10, 2021 at 6:43 am
With a new administration, comes a new energy policy. Agricultural companies such as Archer Daniels Midland (ADM) and Bunge Limited (BG) are in the supply chain of biofuel, which help powers ...
- Speaking to Anil Singhvi, MD and CEO of Praj Industries says company's orderbook has surged 80%, ethanol production to increaseon May 7, 2021 at 10:41 am
Zee Business Managing Editor Anil Singhvi today spoke to Shishir Joshipura, MD and CEO of Praj Industries. He said that Praj Industries started its business operations way back in 1983. The operations ...