Two University of Calgary researchers have developed a ground-breaking way to make new, affordable, and efficient catalysts for converting electricity into chemical energy.
Their technology opens the door to homeowners and energy companies being able to easily store and reuse solar and wind power. Such energy is clean and renewable, but it’s available only when the sun is shining or the wind is blowing.
The research by Curtis Berlinguette and Simon Trudel, both in the chemistry department in the Faculty of Science, has just been published in Science – one of the world’s top peer-reviewed journals.
“This breakthrough offers a relatively cheaper method of storing and reusing electricity produced by wind turbines and solar panels,” says Berlinguette, associate professor of chemistry and Canada Research Chair in Energy Conversion.
“Our work represents a critical step for realizing a large-scale, clean energy economy,” adds Berlinguette, who’s also director of the university’s Centre for Advanced Solar Materials.
Trudel, assistant professor of chemistry, says their work “opens up a whole new field of how to make catalytic materials. We now have a large new arena for discovery.”
The pair have patented their technology and created from their university research a spin-off company, FireWater Fuel Corp., to commercialize their electrocatalysts for use in electrolyzers.
Electrolyzer devices use catalysts to drive a chemical reaction that converts electricity into chemical energy by splitting water into hydrogen and oxygen fuels. These fuels can then be stored and re-converted to electricity for use whenever wanted.
The only byproduct from such a ‘green’ energy system is water, which can be recycled through the system. To store and provide renewable power to a typical house would require an electrolyzer about the size of a beer fridge, containing a few litres of water and converting hydrogen to electricity with virtually no emissions, the researchers say.
Key to their discovery is that they deviated from conventional thinking about catalysts, which typically are made from rare, expensive and toxic metals in a crystalline structure.
Instead, Berlinguette and Trudel turned to simpler production methods for catalysts. This involved using abundant metal compounds or oxides (including iron oxide or ‘rust’), to create mixed metal oxide catalysts having a disordered, or amorphous, structure.
Laboratory tests – reported in their Science paper – show their new catalysts perform as well or better than expensive catalysts now on the market, yet theirs costs 1,000 times less.
The Latest Bing News on:
Reusing renewable energy
- Epic Cleantec Raises $9.4M to Accelerate Adoption of On-Site Water Reuseon December 7, 2021 at 6:17 am
Epic Cleantec (or "Epic"), the San Francisco-based onsite water reuse firm, announced today that it has successfully closed a $9.4 million financing round. The company has pioneered an approach to ...
- Malta and Bechtel team up for long-duration energy-storage projectson December 6, 2021 at 8:44 am
Malta Inc. (Cambridge, Mass.), a developer of grid-scale, long-duration energy storage, and Bechtel (Reston, Va.), announced they are teaming up to pursue ...
- Nevada Institute for Sustainability receives gifts from NextEra Energy Resourceson December 3, 2021 at 4:13 pm
NextEra Energy Resources has provided financial support to the University’s Nevada Institute for Sustainability (NVIS). The gifts provide the Institute with the opportunity to pursue new research and ...
- Inside Clean Energy: Here’s How Compressed Air Can Provide Long-Duration Energy Storageon December 2, 2021 at 6:00 am
A grid that runs mostly on wind and solar, part of the future that clean energy advocates are working toward, will need lots of long-duration energy storage to get through the dark of night and cloudy ...
- Malta And Bechtel Join Forces To Speed Rollout Of Long-Duration Energy Storageon December 1, 2021 at 7:44 am
Malta Inc., a leading developer of grid-scale, long-duration energy storage and Bechtel Corporation, one of the world's most respected engineering, construction, and project management companies, ...
- Department of Energy Awards over $16 Million for 23 Projects that will Reduce Carbon Emissions Across the Manufacturing Sectoron November 30, 2021 at 11:44 am
The U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) and the REMADE Institute announced more than $16 million in research and development funding for 23 projects that will reduce energy use and carbon emissions ...
- Composites end markets: Renewable energy (2022)on November 30, 2021 at 9:07 am
Driven by growth in offshore wind and global renewable energy and emissions reduction targets, wind energy continues to dominate composites use and R&D efforts.
- NextEra Energy sells a stake in a renewable energy portfolio for $849 millionon November 30, 2021 at 5:24 am
A unit of NextEra Energy Resources agreed to sell a 50% non-controlling interest in a 2,520 MW portfolio of long-term contracted renewables assets to the Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan Board for $849 ...
- iSun invests in Encore Renewable Energyon November 29, 2021 at 9:58 am
The solar developer said the investment will increase iSun's involvement brownfield redevelopment, dual-use projects, and emergent storage technologies.
- OC’s First Clean Energy Agency Finally Picks Power Planson November 29, 2021 at 5:53 am
The only open question now is how much those plans will cost, which the board of directors will decide in January.
The Latest Google Headlines on:
Reusing renewable energy
The Latest Bing News on:
- Check out this clearinghouse for solar energy permitting, inspection resourceson December 7, 2021 at 6:19 am
The Sustainable Energy Action Committee and the Interstate Renewable Energy Council launched a new clearinghouse website housing educational resources and ...
- BTS development in 3T areas prioritizes sustainable energy: BAKTIon December 7, 2021 at 6:10 am
Telecommunication Accessibility Agency (BAKTI) of the Communication and Informatics Ministry stated that the 4G Base Transceiver Station (BTS) infrastructure ...
- London sustainable energy fund invests £9m in expanding renewable fuelling companyon December 6, 2021 at 11:35 pm
London based sustainable energy fund HydrogenOne Capital Growth PLC announced it has signed definitive agreements for a private equity investment… | London | Environment | Technology | Environment | I ...
- Eight projects seeking grant funding from North Dakota’s clean sustainable energy authorityon December 6, 2021 at 3:08 pm
With the requests being higher than the $25 million, the authority will have to decide who will get the funding based on criteria.
- Kontrol Technologies Advances Net Zero Building Infrastructure with Launch of SmartPower® Energy as a Serviceon December 6, 2021 at 8:43 am
Kontrol Technologies Corp. ( NEO:KNR) ( OTCQB:KNRLF) ( FSE:1K8) (" Kontrol " or the " Company "), a leader in smart building technologies, is advancing net zero building infrastructure with the launch ...
- Dams, Rivers And Drive-By Truckers: Songs That Explain The Challenge Of Sustainable Energyon December 6, 2021 at 5:41 am
Two songs by the band Drive-By Truckers capture the full sweep of nuance, complexity and tradeoffs inherent to debates about hydropower. Together, the songs offer a riddle about the path to ...
- Inside $700,000 off-grid dome house with sustainable energy system – the unexpected address is the best parton November 28, 2021 at 3:46 am
A SUSTAINABLE off-grid dome-shaped house has gone on the market in the US for $690,000 – and it comes with 43 acres of land. The quirky home, in Kennebunkport, Maine, is a “monolithic dome” house ...
- Restart Energy Innovative Technologies AG is opening the first sustainable STO on the Swiss Blockchain Platform DAURAon November 24, 2021 at 1:15 am
REIT AG is advancing 7.99 MN CHF by submitting digital participation certificates Restart Energy Innovative Technologies AG (REIT) is starting the first sustainable STO on the Swiss Blockchain ...
- Sustainable Energy for Industry: Navigating the World of Sustainability for a Better Futureon November 8, 2021 at 10:07 am
In this article, we will bring under purview why it is imperative for industries to switch to sustainable energy. First, let us begin by understanding the meaning of sustainable energy ...
- Sustainable Energy for Industry: Navigating the World of Sustainability for a Better Futureon November 8, 2021 at 10:00 am
In this article, we will bring under purview why it is imperative for industries to switch to sustainable energy. First, let us begin by understanding the meaning of sustainable energy, also known as ...