Todd Humphreys and his students at the University of Texas in Austin are tired of waiting for augmented reality that meets the promise of the technology we’ve been hearing about and seeing in science fiction for years now.
So they set out to build it themselves, and presented a very rough prototype for the first time at the South By Southwest Interactive Festival (SXSW) in Austin on Friday.
The prototype isn’t nearly as lightweight or wearable as Google’s Glass, the augmented reality spectacles that have received lots of buzz lately over their reported consumer release planned for later this year. Instead, it’s about the size of a desktop computer with a big, round antenna attached to the top of the box
But as Humphreys told the SXSW crowd, it’s not meant to be an elegantly designed consumer product, but rather a proof of concept for how good augmented reality could (and should) be.
“Google Glass is not the immersive experience I’m looking for,” Humphreys told the audience in a conference room of Austin’s downtown Omni Hotel.
He then laid out what he calls an augmented reality “Bill of Rights,” outlining what he sees as the real promise of AR, which includes a “true three-dimensional immersive experience” with virtual elements that look and behave as if real, creating a “convincing illusion.” Further, Humphreys wants to see absolute location registration (geolocation) accurate down to the centimeter, or even millimeter, no matter where a person is on the globe, outdoors and indoors.
Humphreys’ final demand for this next generation of augmented reality – it should be available soon; no waiting another decade for the experience Arnold Schwarzenegger and the Terminator series introduced us to in the last century.
The assistant professor of engineering did acknowledge the loftiness of his AR ambitions and said he was willing to make a few concessions, namely that we may have to settle for a handheld AR experience in the short term rather than a totally immersive, wearable one. This is a point where he and his younger students are actually at odds – Humphreys believes it will be difficult for Google Glass and other “somewhat dorky hardware” to become socially acceptable, but his students disagree.
Humphreys also concedes that the suite of sensors in contemporary devices may be inadequate for achieving what he’s laid out in his AR Bill of Rights.
The Latest Bing News on:
- Pre-construction technology redefined with the launch of immersive augmented reality serviceson February 22, 2024 at 4:01 pm
A first of its kind concept in the UAE that recently made its mark in Dubai, Australian-based company Lifesize Plans has now introduced its own augmented reality services, providing an immersive and ...
- Step Into Snap's Pioneering Augmented Reality Technology Experiences At Web Summit Qatar 2024on February 22, 2024 at 10:16 am
With over 85% of daily Snapchat users in the MENA region actively interacting with Augmented Reality (AR) Lenses, the role of AR in enhancing communi ...
- When does augmented reality help your marketing strategy and when is it a gimmick?on February 21, 2024 at 4:00 pm
Over the years there have been many waves of hype and scepticism surrounding augmented reality (AR), and 2024 is no different. When trying to cut through and determine if it’s a viable format for your ...
- Sira Medical Wins FDA Clearance for Augmented Reality Preoperative Surgical Planning Softwareon February 21, 2024 at 6:45 am
Sira Medical develops augmented reality software for preoperative planning, patient education, and training by providing patient-specific holograms derived from the same data used to generate ...
- Augmented-Reality Mobile App Sparks Outdoor Exploration and Gets Kids Engaged With Natureon February 19, 2024 at 5:32 am
Rangers Wanted is kidSAFE certified and teaches young people to be responsible stewards of the environment while encouraging kids to get outside and explore. Like Niantic's Pokémon Go app, this new ...
- Apple’s Vision Pro Doesn’t Augment Reality—It Sacrifices Iton February 18, 2024 at 11:41 pm
There are many technically impressive aspects of Apple’s Vision Pro, the digital face eater the tech giant released earlier this month. But perhaps the most fascinating element is EyeSight, which ...
- 'A Huge Multiplier': Advanced Augmented Reality Comes To CREon February 15, 2024 at 6:14 pm
The latest iteration of augmented reality technology arrived in Apple stores earlier this month as the tech giant released its latest gadget: the Vision Pro, a pair of goggles that the company says ...
- Get Rich Quick With These 3 Augmented Reality Stocks to Buy Nowon February 14, 2024 at 3:43 am
InvestorPlace - Stock Market News, Stock Advice & Trading Tips Augmented reality is admittedly in its infancy, but we can expect the sector ...
- 10 Best Augmented Reality Stocks Under $5on February 8, 2024 at 5:42 am
The AR market was valued at $42.20 billion in 2022 and is forecasted to reach $1.11 trillion by 2030, exhibiting a 50.7% compound annual growth rate. In 2022, the North American augmented reality ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
[google_news title=”” keyword=”augmented reality” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
The Latest Bing News on:
- With Acquisition of Complex, NTWRK Plans to Create a ‘Next Gen Content and Shopping Experience’on February 23, 2024 at 6:59 am
Buzzfeed has sold media company Complex to livestream shopping platform NTWRK to build a “next generation content and shopping experience.” ...
- Vision Pro App Spotlight: Longplay Adds Immersive Album Listeningon February 23, 2024 at 5:59 am
The music experience on the Apple Vision Pro is excellent. It starts with the device’s built-in headphones and spatial audio, which work hand-in-hand with the visual components of spatial computing.
- Tool’s immersive experience satisfies Las Vegas audienceon February 23, 2024 at 2:02 am
Maynard James Keenan wasn’t feeling good. He admitted as much Sunday to the audience at the comfortably packed T-Mobile Arena, the final stop on the “Tool Winter Tour 2024.” If Keenan wasn’t feeling ...
- WWE Announces WWE World At WrestleMania 40 Fan Experience In Philadelphiaon February 22, 2024 at 9:23 pm
WWE has announced a fan experience for WrestleMania 40 weekend which includes immersive experiences, roundtable discussions, gaming tournaments, and podcasts.
- National Aquarium offers new sleepaway camp experiences for grades 6 through 12on February 22, 2024 at 4:29 pm
The National Aquarium is offering summer campers in grades 6 through 12 and 2024 high school graduates a whole new world of aquatic-themed camp opportunities.
- McDonald's Announces Anime-Themed 'Immersive Dining Experience'on February 22, 2024 at 10:49 am
McDonald's is dropping four anime shorts along with a new sauce and a two-day pop-up. Earlier this week, a Reddit user posted on the r/NoStupidQuestions subreddit to ask exactly what was going on with ...
- FORE! How Epson Projectors Create Immersive Golf Experiences Rain or Shineon February 22, 2024 at 4:15 am
Golf Pro Delivered is one such company that constructs immersive displays that envelop users in a realistic golf experience in residential, corporate, and hospitality locations. In need of ...
- TelevisaUnivision Plans ‘Casa Cultura’ Immersive Experience for TV Upfronton February 21, 2024 at 6:00 am
TelevisaUnivision has more to offer than just the usual advertising jargon and programming notes for its 2024 upfront showcase. The Spanish-language media giant plans to open what it calls “Casa ...
- New Immersive Gamebox experience: 'Black Mirror Careers,’ can determine your futureon February 21, 2024 at 4:57 am
New TV show-themed immersive gaming experience that explores your new job possibilities after AI takes over launches in Yorkshire on February 27th ...
- Immersive Spaces: Shaping Profound Experiences Through Architecture and Arton February 17, 2024 at 4:00 pm
Using sensory-stimulating architecture to create powerful experiences is not exactly a new trend ... A contemporary example of immersive design is the Jewish Museum in Berlin by Daniel Libeskind. The ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
[google_news title=”” keyword=”immersive experience” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]