A new material has been patented, using doped carbon, allowing fuels to be produced while, at the same time, reducing CO2 emissions
At present, power stations run using renewable energies (wind, solar or wave) produce energy peaks that are wasted, since they do not coincide with the energy needs. Storing this energy in batteries for its later use would be a very costly process that requires huge amounts of very expensive pure metals, such as nickel or copper, which is why this process is currently hardly ever used.
The doped carbon gel developed by the UGR acts as a highly-dispersed (it is made up of 90% carbon and a small quantity of heavy metals) and effective electro-catalyst, which means it enables CO2 to be turned into hydrocarbons at a low cost. This new material, developed entirely at the UGR, following more than 10 years of research into carbon gels, has recently been patented by the Institution’s Office for the Transfer of Research Results (OTRI).
As the project’s principal researcher, Agustin F. Perez Cadenas, explains, the doped carbon gel “is not a magical solution to prevent CO2 emissions into the atmosphere and stop the contamination caused by the greenhouse effect, but it does enable them to be reduced considerably, as well as reducing energy costs”. At the moment, this system is in its laboratory phase and has still not been applied in actual power stations, though the tests carried out at the UGR have led to some “highly promising” results.
The Latest Bing News on:
- Shining a light on the potential use of diamonds in cancer treatmenton August 2, 2022 at 1:03 am
IPIC’s Dr Samvit Menon tells us about his research in the area of nanodiamonds – ‘the next best thing in carbon materials’.
- N-doped Carbon Nanotubes Optimized for Electromagnetic Wave Absorptionon July 29, 2022 at 7:24 pm
N-doped carbon nanotubes offer exceptional electromagnetic wave absorption due to their remarkable structural advantages. In an article published in the journal Carbon, Mn sites with atomic dispersion ...
- Boron Doped Diamond Electrode Market To Witness Upsurge In Growth During The Forecast Period By 2024on July 25, 2022 at 4:41 am
The market for boron doped diamond (BDD ... Element Six and Schunk Carbon Technology. The Final Report will cover the impact analysis of COVID-19 on this industry @ The profiling enfolds key ...
- Your Complete Guide to CO2 Laser Resurfacingon July 21, 2022 at 5:00 pm
Depending on the issue being addressed, a dermatologist or cosmetic surgeon might also use fractional lasers, another type of CO2 lasers. Fractional lasers, however, are more superficial than ...
- CO2 Converted to Solid Carbonon July 20, 2022 at 5:00 pm
The metal is “doped” with cerium and a small amount of water. Carbon dioxide is bubbled into a container filled with an electrolyte liquid and a small amount of the liquid metal, which is then charged ...
- CO2→ formate conversion technology with significantly improved production rateon July 17, 2022 at 5:00 pm
Developed a technology that stably converts carbon dioxide into useful liquid compounds (formate) by performing high-volume synthesis with fluorine-doped tin oxide catalysts.
- Scientists Embed N-Doped Nanocarbon for Highly Efficient CO2 Fixationon July 6, 2022 at 5:00 pm
Image Credits: Science China Press In this study, they describe how N-doped carbon was enclosed in metal-organic frameworks (MOFs) with controlled nanoarchitectures and porosities as multifunctional ...
- N-doped nanocarbon embedded in hierarchically porous metal-organic frameworks for highly efficient CO2 fixationon July 6, 2022 at 9:07 am
In this contribution, they report the encapsulation of N-doped carbon into metal-organic frameworks (MOFs) with controllable nanoarchitectures and porosities as multifunctional catalysts for ...
- Sew-able Carbon Nanotube Thread Could Spin A Lot Of Awesomeon July 5, 2022 at 5:00 pm
Well, we watch-less ones have something to look forward to, because a group of graduate students at Rice University have created extremely strong conductive thread woven from carbon nanotubes ...
- Nickel Is the New Key to Recycling C02 Emissionson June 16, 2022 at 5:00 pm
To achieve this, the graphene layer is doped with nitrogen, which essentially punches a hole in the layer, displacing carbon atoms in the process. Once a nitrogen atom is in there, it provides a place ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
Doped carbon gel
- Novel Photocatalyst Sheet Helps Curtail the Rise of Atmospheric Carbon Dioxideon August 4, 2022 at 7:47 am
Researchers from the University of Cambridge and Northumbria University have developed an innovative and novel technology that converts carbon dioxide, water, and sunlight into acetate and oxygen, ...
- Unique phenomenon discovered as gel shifts to a liquid, then back to a gel and back againon July 29, 2022 at 1:30 am
In a strange twist, researchers have accidentally discovered a flowing suspension of a gel, called a sol, becomes solid gel again when it’s diluted further – going against all previous conventions.
- Protein Microarrays and Novel Detection Platformson July 21, 2022 at 5:00 pm
This gel-free approach has found an increasing number ... gold nanoparticles, dye-doped nanoparticles and several bead-based methods now being employed for protein microarray studies.
- Main Publicationson February 14, 2022 at 1:08 am
Distribution and stabilization of Pd catalysts in porous carbon-based supports by aggregation of pre-doped colloidal particles ... Snapshotted glass and gel transitions of stable colloidal dispersions ...
- 2018 Publicationson January 11, 2019 at 4:33 pm
Henry, C.K.; Palmese, G.R.; Alvarez, N.J. The evolution of crystalline structures during gel spinning of ultra-high molecular weight ... fabricated with an ultra-rapid diffusion of sulfur into carbon ...
- Truong Vo-Van, PhDon May 7, 2016 at 6:55 pm
Truong Vo-Van began in 1976 his career as a faculty member at Université de Moncton, becoming a full professor in 1986. At this institution, he has worked in various positions as a university ...