The United States can double its energy productivity by 2030
Researchers at the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) have long understood that using energy more efficiently can be just as beneficial as finding new ways to produce energy more efficiently.
On Feb. 7, NREL Director Dan Arvizu and a blue-ribbon panel of 20 energy experts drove that message home, declaring that the United States can double its energy productivity by 2030 — and do so in ways that bolster the nation’s economy.
Unveiling their recommendations at the National Press Club in Washington, D.C., Arvizu and other members of the Alliance to Save Energy (ASE) Commission on National Energy Efficiency Policy said that doubling energy productivity could create a million new jobs, while saving the average household $1,000 a year and reducing carbon-dioxide emissions by one-third.
“Serving on the Commission on National Energy Efficiency Policy over the past year has been a unique and rewarding experience,” Arvizu said. “The commission’s recommendations provide a bold yet attainable roadmap for revolutionizing our nation’s use of energy, and boosting our economy and improving our environment along the way.” The commission was organized and sponsored by the ASE, and the full report is available on the ASE website.
The commission said its ambitious goals can be accomplished by unleashing investments in energy efficiency concepts and technologies throughout the economy, modernizing our energy infrastructure, reforming regulatory measures to promote efficiency, and educating consumers and business leaders on ways to reduce energy waste.
In December, Arvizu testified on the importance of greater energy efficiency before the U.S. Senate Finance Subcommittee on Energy, Natural Resources, and Infrastructure. You can read that testimony here.
“Perhaps the most compelling evidence that energy efficiency measures can have dramatic effects in the future is the often-overlooked fact that they already have produced so many benefits for our nation,” Arvizu noted in his testimony. To the same point, a report by the commission showed that the nation would be using fully 50% more energy than we currently use today had we not taken advantage of all the energy efficiency opportunities we have developed and deployed over the past three decades.
The NREL director’s work on the commission and his testimony before Congress are but two illustrations of how NREL has been a leader in cutting-edge energy efficiency solutions.
A wealth of NREL experience and research knowledge was included in Arvizu’s contribution to the commission’s report. Dick DeBlasio, NREL’s chief engineer for renewable electricity ande use applications, Austin Brown, a Washington, D.C., analyst in NREL’s Strategic Energy Analysis Center, and Gary Schmitz, NREL senior manager for government relations, worked closely with Arvizu and ASE staff to ensure the recommendations reflected the latest in energy efficiency analysis and R&D concepts from NREL programs.
In addition to NREL’s R&D on renewable energy generation technologies such as solar and wind, the laboratory has major programs to improve energy efficiency in the nation’s two largest sectors of energy use: buildings and transportation.
More Efficient Buildings
The Latest Bing News on:
- World enters 'new age' of clean energy manufacturing: IEAon January 12, 2023 at 1:32 am
The world is at the "dawn of a new industrial age" of clean energy technology manufacturing that will triple in value by 2030 and create millions of jobs, the International Energy Agency said on ...
- Enwell Energy Production Volumes Fell in 4Q Amid Russia's War in Ukraineon January 12, 2023 at 12:51 am
By Joe Hoppe Enwell Energy PLC said Thursday that production volumes at its Ukrainian sites fell in the fourth quarter of 2022. The London-listed ...
- Enefit Green production data – December 2022on January 11, 2023 at 11:00 pm
Enefit Green produced 100.7 GWh of electricity in December 2022, which is 12.0% less than in the same period last year. The production result was mostly driven by the lower production of wind energy ...
- IEA says clean energy manufacturing set for substantial growth as world enters 'new industrial age'on January 11, 2023 at 8:39 pm
The world is moving into "a new age of clean technology manufacturing" that could be worth hundreds of billions of dollars per year by 2030, the IEA says.
- Artificial Intelligence in Energy Market : Competitive Strategy Analysis and Forecast Values 2023-2029on January 11, 2023 at 8:07 pm
Final Report will add the analysis of the impact of Russia-Ukraine War and COVID-19 on this industry. This review ...
- Energy Income Weekly: A Resilient Start To 2023on January 11, 2023 at 2:58 pm
Income-producing energy stocks outperformed during the week’s violent commodity selloff. Click to read what caused this strong performance.
- The Post-Everything Energy Marketon January 11, 2023 at 3:12 am
The combined crisis of the pandemic and the war in Ukraine are having a similar impact on perceptions about energy markets, especially oil and natural gas. Many expect that European gas supplies will ...
- Clean Energy Production Reached New Milestones in 2022on January 10, 2023 at 5:25 pm
In the first half of 2022, the global electricity demand rose by 3%, and renewable energy accounted for all this expansion. Wind and solar supplied 77% of it, with hydrogen providing everything else.
- Devon Energy says severe winter weather nicked Q4 production by 2%on January 10, 2023 at 5:15 am
Devon Energy (DVN) said Tuesday it expects Q4 production will be reduced by 2%, or 15K boe/day, due to the impact of severe weather across its operations in December.
- Elucidating enzyme gene expression in filamentous fungi for efficient biomass energy productionon January 10, 2023 at 12:21 am
An Osaka Metropolitan University research team analyzed the regulatory mechanisms of carbohydrate-hydrolyzing enzyme production in Aspergillus aculeatus, a filamentous fungus that produces enzymes ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
[google_news title=”” keyword=”energy productivity” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
The Latest Bing News on:
- Energy Drive: Efficiency, Scale And Collaboration (Video Interview)on January 12, 2023 at 1:00 am
My themes of 2023 include efficiency with resources and capital. Check out the video interview on the dynamics at present with views to the future.
- Gilco Global: Energy-Efficient Elevator Solutions Made In Spainon January 12, 2023 at 12:43 am
As the world’s population continues to grow, it is becoming increasingly important to find ways to preserve our natural resources. By living sustainably, we can help reduce pollution and conserve ...
- Can clean-energy advocates stop new gas plants in North Carolina?on January 12, 2023 at 12:30 am
For more than a year, critics of Duke Energy have been asking North Carolina regulators to reject the utility’s $100 billion plan to meet a state mandate to cut its carbon emissions by 70 percent from ...
- ‘World-leading’ research facility designed to test the energy efficiency of new homes launcheson January 11, 2023 at 4:01 pm
World-leading’ research facility designed to test the energy efficiency of new homes launches - Energy House 2.0 can simulate extreme weather conditions and temperatures to test the effectiveness of ...
- BPA’s $500M windfall will mostly go to rate reductions, irking fish, energy efficiency advocateson January 11, 2023 at 1:50 pm
Surplus power sales and high market prices gave Administrator John Hairston a dilemma: how to divvy up a half-billion dollars.
- Zeta Energy Corporation Selected to Receive $4 million in Federal Funding to Develop More Efficient Electric Vehicle Batterieson January 11, 2023 at 9:41 am
Zeta Energy Corp. was selected to receive $4 million in Federal funding from the U.S. Department of Energy Advanced Research Projects Agency-Energy (ARPA-E). The funding is part of the ARPA-E Electric ...
- Marches firms offered £20k energy efficiency grantson January 10, 2023 at 10:28 pm
Each can use the grants from the £1.5m scheme for energy efficient equipment. "The soaring cost of energy is one of the biggest issues to impact business in recent years," chief executive Rachel Laver ...
- Energy Efficiency in Non-residential Buildings Market Provides an In-Depth Insight of Trends and Landscape Outlook 2023-2029on January 10, 2023 at 8:38 pm
Final Report will add the analysis of the impact of Russia-Ukraine War and COVID-19 on this industry. "Energy Efficiency ...
- Small changes can help you become more energy efficienton January 10, 2023 at 3:35 pm
Shay says working out gives her more energy as a mom. Golfers were sent scrambling for safety as massive waves overtook an ocean-front golf course during one of a series of atmospheric rivers to slam ...
- Attention, landlords: Tenants are increasingly aware of energy efficiencyon January 10, 2023 at 9:15 am
Energy efficiency measures can help landlords save money on energy bills and make properties more appealing to tenants.
The Latest Google Headlines on:
[google_news title=”” keyword=”energy efficiency” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]