A new video standard enables a fourfold increase in the resolution of TV screens, and an MIT chip was the first to handle it in real time.
It took only a few years for high-definition televisions to make the transition from high-priced novelty to ubiquitous commodity — and they now seem to be heading for obsolescence just as quickly. At the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in January, several manufacturers debuted new ultrahigh-definition, or UHD, models (also known as 4K or Quad HD) with four times the resolution of today’s HD TVs.
In addition to screens with four times the pixels, however, UHD also requires a new video-coding standard, known as high-efficiency video coding, or HEVC. Also at CES, Broadcom announced the first commercial HEVC chip, which it said will go into volume production in mid-2014.
At the International Solid-State Circuits Conference this week, MIT researchers unveiled their own HEVC chip. The researchers’ design was executed by the Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company, through its University Shuttle Program, and Texas Instruments (TI) funded the chip’s development.
Although the MIT chip isn’t intended for commercial release, its developers believe that the challenge of implementing HEVC algorithms in silicon helps illustrate design principles that could be broadly useful. Moreover, “because now we have the chip with us, it is now possible for us to figure out ways in which different types of video data actually interact with hardware,” says Mehul Tikekar, an MIT graduate student in electrical engineering and computer science and one of the paper’s co-authors. “People don’t really know, ‘What is the hardware complexity of doing, say, different types of video streams?’”
The Latest Bing News on:
Quad HD TV
- 43-inch LED TVs have good size and picture quality: 8 best options to pick fromon November 24, 2023 at 12:19 pm
Bring home a new way of watching content with 43-inch LED TVs from various brands. We have listed the 8 best picks for you that come with a reasonable price tag. Check out the products to bring one ...
- Want QLED TV for better viewing? Choose from top 8 optionson November 23, 2023 at 2:16 pm
A QLED TV can add more details and vivid experience to your watching. Choose from brands that do not break your bank while offering multiple features and functionalities at a budget.
- Amazon’s Fire HD 10 tablet is 50% off for Black Fridayon November 22, 2023 at 7:14 am
Amazon’s popular Fire HD 10 tablets are 50% off for Black Friday, with similar deals on their other Fire tablets. Check out the best savings we found!
- Get Samsung Quad HD Monitor at All-Time Low Price of $299.99on November 15, 2023 at 6:31 pm
Amazon is currently offering a tremendous deal on the Samsung 32-inch Viewfinity monitor. Now, with a 22% discount bringing the price down to $299.99, this Quad HD monitor is available for a price ...
- Get Samsung Quad HD Monitor at All-Time Low Price of $299.99on November 15, 2023 at 4:00 pm
Now, with a 22% discount bringing the price down to $299.99, this Quad HD monitor is available for a price that was previously unheard of. This price reduction makes the monitor $85 cheaper than ...
- Holiday savings slash up to 50% off Amazon Fire TV Stickson November 13, 2023 at 12:34 pm
Among the many Amazon devices on sale ahead of Black Friday, you can pick up cut-price Fire TV Sticks from as little as $15.99.
- Quad HDon October 29, 2023 at 5:00 pm
The minimum HD resolution is 720 x 1280 pixels (commonly known as 720p.) Quad HD doubles that in each dimension, resulting in four times as many pixels across the whole area. It's the equivalent ...
- Log in or sign up for Rotten Tomatoeson September 20, 2023 at 4:25 am
Upcoming Movies and TV shows Trivia & Rotter Tomatoes Podcast Media News + More ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
Quad HD TV
[google_news title=”” keyword=”Quad HD TV” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
The Latest Bing News on:
- M1 vs. M2 Chip Buyer's Guide: How Much Better Really Is M2?on November 13, 2023 at 9:49 pm
Both chips have high-performance cores with 192KB ... video encode and decode engines for hardware-accelerated H.264 and HEVC, but the M2's video engines are also able to accelerate ProRes ...
- How to play HEVC coded videos using HEVC Video Extension on Windows 11/10on November 9, 2023 at 4:01 pm
To play HEVC coded videos on Windows 11/10 now, you must install the codec manually. That’s because, with Windows 10 Fall Creators Update, Microsoft removed the inbuilt support for the HEVC codec.
- iMac 24-inch M3 review: Performance, specs, priceon November 8, 2023 at 4:57 am
Apple's 2023 update to the 24-inch iMac gives a nice performance bump to the all-in-one Mac, but the M3 hardware is better suited to those moving from Intel than for users with the M1 version.
- Apple M3 chip — everything you need to knowon October 30, 2023 at 5:43 pm
The chips should also be much faster and consume ... that provides hardware acceleration for video codecs like H.264, HEVC, ProRes and ProRes RAW. The media engine also supports AV1 decoding ...
- How many cores or chips are needed to run HEVC Encoder with the 1080p yuv file?on November 28, 2022 at 9:49 pm
From the datasheet of HEVC_Encoder_C6678 ,we see that " 8 cores-----Airshow_p1280x720_420p.yuv, YUV420, Random Access, IBB @ 4Mbps @ 30 frames per second" "2 chips-----Shyam_p1920x1080_420p.yuv, ...
- How to convert MP4 to HEVC in Windows 11/10on June 17, 2022 at 5:00 pm
Here are the methods using which you can convert an MP4 video to HEVC on your Windows 11/10 PC: Use free MP4 to HEVC converter software to convert MP4 to HEVC offline. Convert MP4 to HEVC online ...
- Shaw Direct to transition from MPEG-4 to HEVCon March 3, 2022 at 4:00 pm
To accommodate this change, Shaw Broadcast will be transitioning all signals to HEVC by the fall of 2025. Some signals will make the transition in 2023 for testing with the remaining transitioning in ...
- Artosyn selects Chips&Media HEVC/H.265 Codec IP for Drone, Robots, AR, VR etc.on June 7, 2016 at 5:00 pm
has ended up with selection of Chips&Media Inc.’s HEVC/H.265 codec IP core and licensed the WAVE420 for their next-generation drone SoCs because of WAVE420's high image quality, low power and high ...
- HEVC encoder stuck on two chips modeon July 24, 2015 at 1:33 am
My customer met an issue when run the HEVC encoder on two chips mode, single chip is fine. DSP procedure use sv04 framework, but the encoder will stuck on process() API when encode the first frame.
- Unbricking A Counterfeit FTDI Chipon February 7, 2015 at 6:03 pm
If you haven’t been paying attention, FTDI, makers of one of the most popular USB to UART chips out there, really screwed up last October. They released a driver to Microsoft that would brick ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
[google_news title=”” keyword=”HEVC chip” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]