A new method for producing multiple-perspective 3-D images could prove more practical in the short term than holography.
As striking as it is, the illusion of depth now routinely offered by 3-D movies is a paltry facsimile of a true three-dimensional visual experience. In the real world, as you move around an object, your perspective on it changes. But in a movie theater showing a 3-D movie, everyone in the audience has the same, fixed perspective — and has to wear cumbersome glasses, to boot.
Despite impressive recent advances, holographic television, which would present images that vary with varying perspectives, probably remains some distance in the future. But in a new paper featured as a research highlight at this summer’s Siggraph computer-graphics conference, the MIT Media Lab’s Camera Culture group offers a new approach to multiple-perspective, glasses-free 3-D that could prove much more practical in the short term.
Instead of the complex hardware required to produce holograms, the Media Lab system, dubbed a Tensor Display, uses several layers of liquid-crystal displays (LCDs), the technology currently found in most flat-panel TVs. To produce a convincing 3-D illusion, the LCDs would need to refresh at a rate of about 360 times a second, or 360 hertz. Such displays may not be far off: LCD TVs that boast 240-hertz refresh rates have already appeared on the market, just a few years after 120-hertz TVs made their debut.
“Holography works, it’s beautiful, nothing can touch its quality,” says Douglas Lanman, a postdoc at the Media Lab and one of the new paper’s co-authors. “The problem, of course, is that holograms don’t move. To make them move, you need to create a hologram in real time, and to do that, you need … little tiny pixels, smaller than anything we can build at large volume at low cost. So the question is, what do we have now? We have LCDs. They’re incredibly mature, and they’re cheap.”
The Latest on: Holography
via Google News
The Latest on: Holography
- Trend: Experience 'immersive' art in Prague gallerieson June 24, 2022 at 8:36 am
Through the use of cutting-edge technologies, Prague's immersive art galleries take visitors into fantasy realms.
- Pitch Deck Teardown: WayRay’s $80M Series C deckon June 23, 2022 at 12:54 pm
The company specifically lists Optics and Holography, Hardware, Software and Electronics Engineering, Quality Assurance, Design and Chemistry. For some hardware companies, I wouldn’t have ...
- Method for time-resolved acquisition of dynamic processes based on switching of interference patternson June 23, 2022 at 10:06 am
Science X is a network of high quality websites with most complete and comprehensive daily coverage of the full sweep of science, technology, and medicine news ...
- Soundwave levitation now possible even with objects in the wayon June 23, 2022 at 5:08 am
University College London researchers have created a self-correcting acoustic levitation system that works despite interference.
- Researchers Present Major Breakthrough in Dynamic and Digital Holographyon June 20, 2022 at 9:18 am
Lab at the University of Dayton’s Department of Electro-Optics and Photonics has produced ground-breaking work in dynamic and digital holography.
- Medical holography Market – Worldwide Industry Size and Share Analysis Reporton June 17, 2022 at 2:53 am
The global medical holography market is estimated to be over US$ 13.1 Bn to 2030 . It is anticipated to grow at a CAGR of 34.1 % from 2022 to 2030. Medical holography Market by Vendor Assessment ...
- Medical Holography Industry 2022 – 2028 Market Analysis by Regions, Types and Applicationon June 15, 2022 at 7:49 am
The medical holography market is expected to grow significantly in the coming years, owing to the key factors such as rising demand for advanced medical imaging systems and increasing clinical ...
- Global Medical Holography Market Size & Share, Business Strategies, Growth Analysis, Regional Demand by 2026on June 13, 2022 at 3:36 am
Jun 13, 2022 (Market Insight Reports) -- Global Medical Holography Market Report added at Market Study Report offers industry size, share, growth, trends and forecast analysis up to 2026.
- Medical Holography Market Size 17.1% CAGR by 2022-2025on June 3, 2022 at 8:08 am
Jun 03, 2022 (Market Insight Reports) -- Selbyville, Delaware Medical Holography Market research is an intelligence report with meticulous efforts undertaken to study the right and valuable ...
- Medical Holography Market Expected To Grow At A CAGR Of 30.4% During 2018- 2027on May 19, 2022 at 4:35 am
The global medical holography market is segmented by hologram functionality into holographic display, holographic microscope, holography software and holographic prints; by application into ...
via Bing News