An international research breakthrough with bees means machines might soon be able to see almost as well as humans.
The Australian and French research shows that honeybees use multiple rules to solve complex visual problems.
Dr Dyer said that rule learning was a fundamental cognitive task that allowed humans to operate in complex environments.
“For example, if a driver wants to turn right at an intersection then they need to simultaneously observe the traffic light colour, the flow of oncoming cars and pedestrians to make a decision,” he said.
“With experience, our brains can conduct these complex decision-making processes, but this is a type of cognitive task beyond current machine vision.
“Our research collaboration between labs in Australia and France wanted to understand if such simultaneous decision making required a large primate brain, or whether a honeybee might also demonstrate rule learning.”
Dr Dyer said the research team lead author Dr Aurore Avargues-Weber (Université de Toulouse) trained individual honeybees to fly into a Y-shaped maze which presented different elements in specific relationships like above/below, or left/right.
With extended training the bees were able to learn that the elements had to have two sets of rules including being in a specific relationship like above/below, while also possessing elements differing from each other.
Dr Dyer said the findings showed that possessing a large complex brain was not necessary to master multiple simultaneous conceptual rule learning.
Go deeper with Bing News on:
- RSIP Vision Announces Versatile Medical Image Segmentation Tool, Delivering Efficient Anatomical Measurements and Better Treatment Optionson January 19, 2021 at 7:35 pm
RSIP Vision Announces Versatile Medical Image Segmentation Tool, Delivering Efficient Anatomical Measurements and Better Treatment Options ...
- First Successful Artificial Cornea Implanton January 19, 2021 at 3:09 pm
An Israeli medical firm has announced the first successful implant of an artificial cornea. Prof. Irit Bahar, director of the Ophthalmology Department at Rabin Medical Center, performed the surgery ...
- Israeli man regains sight after artificial cornea transplanton January 19, 2021 at 11:53 am
A 78-year-old legally blind Israeli man has reportedly regained his sight following an artificial cornea transplant — the first time such a procedure has ever been successful. Jamal Furani ...
- P&R Dental Strategies and Denti.AI Join Forces in a Strategic Artificial Intelligence Partnershipon January 19, 2021 at 11:18 am
PRNewswire/ -- P&R Dental Strategies, LLC (P&R), the leading business intelligence solutions provider to dental payers, today announced an exclusive ...
- RCP Construction, Inc., and Everguard.ai Sign Agreement to Utilize Artificial Intelligence (AI) to Improve Job Site Safetyon January 19, 2021 at 9:16 am
RCP Construction, Inc. and Everguard.ai today announced a collaboration to bring artificial intelligence (AI) and sensor fusion to commercial construction job sites in an effort to improve safety ...
Go deeper with Google Headlines on:
Go deeper with Bing News on:
- TransEnterix Receives CE Mark for Machine Vision System in Robotic Surgeryon January 19, 2021 at 5:53 am
TransEnterix, Inc. (NYSE American:TRXC), a medical device company that is digitizing the interface between the surgeon and the patient to improve ...
- Machine Vision Market 2018 Growth, COVID Impact, Trends Analysis Report 2023on January 19, 2021 at 1:02 am
According to the OMR analysis the machine vision market is expected to grow at a significant rate during 2018 2023 The global machine vision market has witnessed a significant growth due to rise in ...
- Industrial Machine Vision Camera Market Forecast, Technology Progress, Government Laws, SWOT and Major Players – Toshiba Teli Vieworks Co.,on January 18, 2021 at 12:29 am
News Highlights: Industrial Machine Vision Camera Market Forecast, Technology Progress, Government Laws, SWOT and Major Players – Toshiba Teli Vieworks Co., Decisive Market Insights publishes a ...
- 3D Machine Vision Market 2019 Size, Growth Analysis Report, Forecast to 2025on January 15, 2021 at 5:44 am
The global 3D machine vision market is valued at USD 1 37 billion in 2018 is expected to reach USD 3 040 million by 2026 and is expected to grow at a CAGR of 10 from 2019 to 2025 The ...
- Machine Vision Offers Heightened Supply Chain Visibilityon January 15, 2021 at 5:37 am
A new company, Cogniac uses data from machine vision to improve the supply chain. While increasing supply chain visibility is an on-going process, another tool — machine vision—can help companies ...