Nadim Kobeissi, master hacker
Nadim Kobeissi, master hacker, summoned for interrogation multiple times as a teenager by cyber-intelligence authorities in Beirut, Lebanon, sat in the backyard of a restaurant in Brooklyn, astounded that he was being treated to lunch.
“Please,” he protested, “you shouldn’t pay for my omelet.”
Mr. Kobeissi, 21, now a college student in Montreal, spent the weekend in New York City with elders of his tribe, software code writers who have ambitions that do not involve making suitcases of money off clever applications for sharing photographs online.
This group was building a project called Cryptocat, which has a simple, countercultural goal: people should be able to talk on the Internet without being subjected to commercial or government surveillance.
“The whole point of Cryptocat is that you click a link and you’re chatting with someone over an encrypted chat room,” said Mr. Kobeissi, who was born in Lebanon and said he had lived through four wars. “That’s it. You’re done. It’s just as easy to use as Facebook chat, Google chat, anything.”
The Arab Spring showed that the power of the Internet and Web communications is a multi-edged blade, with activists able to organize through social media and to get their stories out, and authoritarian governments often able to target the activists by following the trail of digital crumbs.
Among the conspicuous sources of information are the chat transcripts often kept on commercial servers, making it easy to see who was talking, what they talked about, and when the conversations took place. Cryptocat and a few other services disguise the content of chat messages so that they look like gibberish to anyone who does not have the encryption key. There is nothing new about encryption technology, but it is a brain-breaking subject, and the tools for using it are tricky.
Mr. Kobeissi started building Cryptocat a year ago in his bedroom with the goal of making it simple to encrypt an online conversation. He had help last weekend from the Guardian Project, a group of developers who are trying to make mobile phones secure. They figured out a way to encrypt a chat on an Android phone by shaking it, taking advantage of the motion detectors in many smartphones. This will generate the digits that are part of the encryption process.
“You can dance with your phone to encrypt it,” Mr. Kobeissi said.
Up to 10 people can speak privately to one another at a time in a Cryptocat chat room, a feature that distinguishes it from other encryption chat services. It is not ready for use by people in life-and-death situations, Mr. Kobeissi said, but it can give people a place to avoid everyday monitoring of routine conversation.
“Cryptocat is an enabling, positive technology, and it’s an alternative,” said Jacob Appelbaum, a developer with the Tor project, which routes Web traffic in ways that help disguise sites that people have visited. “A key thing here is that it is an experiment, with valid criticisms. It’s not perfect. But it is important that we have people who are interested and knowledgeable about computer security who are working on these things, not just for money, and not just to break into people’s computers.”
The Latest Bing News on:
- FCC commissioner calls for TikTok ban due to security concernson June 28, 2022 at 10:24 pm
A member of the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) has called on Apple and Google to block TikTok due to security concerns.
- MSCS board approves over $5.5 million for school security improvementson June 28, 2022 at 8:19 pm
Millions of dollars in safety and security upgrades are on the way for some Memphis Shelby County Schools.Board members approved the upgrades at their meeting Tuesday. The goal is to upgrade all ...
- An FCC commissioner calls on Apple and Google to remove TikTok from their app stores, saying it's a natural security riskon June 28, 2022 at 11:57 am
In a letter to the Apple and Google CEOs, Brendan Carr wrote that TikTok is "not just an app for sharing funny videos or memes." ...
- New Analysis from Global Industry Analysts Reveals Steady Growth for Utilities Security, with the Market to Reach $16.3 Billion Worldwide by 2026on June 28, 2022 at 7:19 am
What's New for 2022? Global competitiveness and key competitor percentage market shares; Market presence across multiple geographies - Strong/Active/Niche/Trivi ...
- Social Security, SNAP, Medicaid and WIC Beneficiaries Could Receive $30 or More Off Internet Accesson June 25, 2022 at 10:30 am
If you are qualified based on your income, you might be able to get $30 off your internet service thanks to a program introduced by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) called the ...
- 25 Mobile Security Products Locking Down Our Data: The 2022 CRN Mobile 100on June 24, 2022 at 9:00 am
As part of CRN’s 2022 Mobile 100, here are 25 mobile security products offered by vendors to protect against the ever-growing mobile security threats.
- Communications Ministry develops technologies for national security together with Defense Ministryon June 23, 2022 at 2:32 am
... and Informatization Ministry develops information and communication technologies for the sake of national security together with signal troops and the Defense Ministry. Belarusian ...
- SHARE SUBSCRIPTIONS WITH SSH COMMUNICATIONS SECURITY CORPORATION´S STOCK OPTIONSon June 23, 2022 at 12:17 am
SHARE SUBSCRIPTIONS WITH SSH COMMUNICATIONS SECURITY CORPORATION´S STOCK OPTIONS A total of 17,560 new shares of SSH Communications Security Corporation were subscribed for with the 2019A stock ...
- New Collaboration Tools Threaten Voice Securityon June 22, 2022 at 10:21 pm
Most security teams and IT leaders are laser-focused on protecting their data networks. Yet they tend to downplay parallel threats to their voice networks ...
- Pexip and Rocket.Chat announce collaboration for high security communicationson June 22, 2022 at 6:36 am
Pexip and open-source communication platform, Rocket.Chat, have announced a collaboration to provide a secure communication system for organisations that require high levels of security. Designed for ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- Global Cyber Security Software Market Size and Share Research Report 2022 Key Players, Applications, Current Insights, Trends and Forecast to 2029on June 27, 2022 at 2:34 am
Jun 27, 2022 (The Expresswire) -- "Final Report will add the analysis of the impact of COVID-19 on this industry. “Cyber Security Software Market“ ...
- Internet Security Software Market 2022 Global Competition By Opportunity Assessment And Forecast By 2028: Safenet, Incon June 24, 2022 at 4:06 pm
SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES, June 24, 2022 /EINPresswire.com / -- Summary of the Report – CMI's latest report, global 'Internet Security Software Market ' Research 2022, provides a ...
- 18 Online Security Secrets from Internet Security Expertson June 23, 2022 at 5:00 pm
As the first line of defense against intruders and security threats, a firewall acts as a barrier between your computer and the Internet connection by inspecting data coming from the Internet.
- Aqua Security and Center for Internet Security releases the industry’s first formal guidelines for software supply chain securityon June 23, 2022 at 4:10 am
Aqua Security, the pure-play cloud-native security provider, and the Center for Internet Security (CIS), an independent, nonprofit organisation with a mission to create confidence in the connected ...
- Aqua Security Collaborates With Center for Internet Security to Create Guide for Software Supply Chain Securityon June 22, 2022 at 1:05 pm
In addition, Aqua Security unveiled a new open source tool, Chain-Bench, for auditing the software supply chain to ensure compliance with the new CIS guidelines.
- The best free and paid antivirus software to get in 2022on June 22, 2022 at 2:21 am
Bitdefender’s internet security suites often appear at the top of the best antivirus lists and for good reason. They’re easy to install, have effective virus protection, along with easy-to-use ...
- Internet Security Market Witness Highest Growth in Near Futureon June 21, 2022 at 11:40 pm
As per the report, the global Internet security market is expected to garner $46.5 billion by 2021, registering a CAGR of 8.4% during the forecast period 2016-2021. Request Sample Report at ...
- Axis Security Announces Atmos 2022 Summer Release Highlighting Innovation in Digital Experience Monitoring, Internet Security and Automated Operationson June 20, 2022 at 5:00 pm
Axis Security continues to raise the bar for harmonizing secure access for the modern workplace with its Atmos 2022 Summer Release, recognizing the way work has changed forever. The release includes ...
- Internet Security Firewall Market Size 2022, Global Industry Analysis, Segments, Top Key Players, Drivers and Trends to 2028on June 17, 2022 at 7:57 am
Investigators at Infinity Business Insights are continually observing the Global Internet Security Firewall Market viewpoints for repercussions of ongoing events; this examination and update ...
- ESET Internet Security Reviewon June 15, 2022 at 8:47 am
With clear explanations of every module and even clearer pricing, ESET Internet Security is a reliable malware protection suite. But while its accuracy is good, rivals such as Trend Micro and ...
The Latest Google Headlines on: