Nadim Kobeissi, master hacker
Nadim Kobeissi, master hacker, summoned for interrogation multiple times as a teenager by cyber-intelligence authorities in Beirut, Lebanon, sat in the backyard of a restaurant in Brooklyn, astounded that he was being treated to lunch.
“Please,” he protested, “you shouldn’t pay for my omelet.”
Mr. Kobeissi, 21, now a college student in Montreal, spent the weekend in New York City with elders of his tribe, software code writers who have ambitions that do not involve making suitcases of money off clever applications for sharing photographs online.
This group was building a project called Cryptocat, which has a simple, countercultural goal: people should be able to talk on the Internet without being subjected to commercial or government surveillance.
“The whole point of Cryptocat is that you click a link and you’re chatting with someone over an encrypted chat room,” said Mr. Kobeissi, who was born in Lebanon and said he had lived through four wars. “That’s it. You’re done. It’s just as easy to use as Facebook chat, Google chat, anything.”
The Arab Spring showed that the power of the Internet and Web communications is a multi-edged blade, with activists able to organize through social media and to get their stories out, and authoritarian governments often able to target the activists by following the trail of digital crumbs.
Among the conspicuous sources of information are the chat transcripts often kept on commercial servers, making it easy to see who was talking, what they talked about, and when the conversations took place. Cryptocat and a few other services disguise the content of chat messages so that they look like gibberish to anyone who does not have the encryption key. There is nothing new about encryption technology, but it is a brain-breaking subject, and the tools for using it are tricky.
Mr. Kobeissi started building Cryptocat a year ago in his bedroom with the goal of making it simple to encrypt an online conversation. He had help last weekend from the Guardian Project, a group of developers who are trying to make mobile phones secure. They figured out a way to encrypt a chat on an Android phone by shaking it, taking advantage of the motion detectors in many smartphones. This will generate the digits that are part of the encryption process.
“You can dance with your phone to encrypt it,” Mr. Kobeissi said.
Up to 10 people can speak privately to one another at a time in a Cryptocat chat room, a feature that distinguishes it from other encryption chat services. It is not ready for use by people in life-and-death situations, Mr. Kobeissi said, but it can give people a place to avoid everyday monitoring of routine conversation.
“Cryptocat is an enabling, positive technology, and it’s an alternative,” said Jacob Appelbaum, a developer with the Tor project, which routes Web traffic in ways that help disguise sites that people have visited. “A key thing here is that it is an experiment, with valid criticisms. It’s not perfect. But it is important that we have people who are interested and knowledgeable about computer security who are working on these things, not just for money, and not just to break into people’s computers.”
The Latest Bing News on:
- FCC is re-establishing its 5G security council which disbanded in Marchon April 16, 2021 at 8:43 am
The FCC is re-establishing its Communications Security, Reliability, and Interoperability Council (CSRIC), with a primary focus on improving 5G network security.
- 4 Top Communication Stocks To Watch In Aprilon April 16, 2021 at 7:25 am
This story originally appeared on StockMarket These Communication Stocks Are Poised To Benefit From Pent-Up Demand. There are numerous communication stocks that have been performi ...
- FCC Wants Advisory Panel to Focus on 5G Network Security; Jessica Rosenworcel Quotedon April 16, 2021 at 5:59 am
The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) will reestablish a federal advisory committee by the end of June 2021 that will focus on improving the security of 5G networks. The Communications Security, ...
- U.S. Financial Services Cyber Security Market Growth, Future Trends, Types and Applications, SWOT Analysis, Forecast to 2025 | Says Kenneth Researchon April 16, 2021 at 3:09 am
The market research report by Kenneth Research on U.S. Financial Services Cyber Security Market that has been analysed ...
- FCC to re-establish security council for 5Gon April 15, 2021 at 3:55 pm
The FCC said it plans to re-establish the Communications Security, Reliability, and Interoperability Council (CSRIC), with a primary focus on improving 5G network security.
- Axis returns to its security rootson April 15, 2021 at 1:54 pm
Company announces new video surveillance, access control offerings following its foray into other IoT product categories ...
- Axis Communications Joins Convergint Technologies in Major Initiative to Boost Visitor Safety at the National Mall in Washington, DCon April 15, 2021 at 5:48 am
The National Mall is America’s most-visited national park, playing host to historic events, celebrations, demonstrations, and everyday gatherings each year. In efforts to boost public safety and ...
- Siemens Improves Communication Security with Red Hat Ansible Automation Platformon April 15, 2021 at 2:18 am
Red Hat today announced that Siemens has adopted Red Hat Ansible Automation Platform to modernize its public key infrastructure. With Ansible Automation Platform, Siemens is now able to automate ...
- Microsoft acquires Nuance Communications. Veriff raises $69 million.on April 14, 2021 at 1:00 pm
It will use the fundi… Cybersecurity firm Darktrace plans £3bn IPO on London Stock Exchange (The Guardian) British firm’s CEO Poppy Gustafsson says London was ‘natural choice’ despite Deliveroo’s ...
- Addressing the Security Vulnerabilities of Internal Communication Platformson April 5, 2021 at 5:04 am
April 05, 2021 - More and more organizations across all sectors are using Slack and Microsoft Teams for remote collaboration and communication ... data like Social Security and addresses.
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- Biden’s New Cyber Team Weighs Overhaul of National Internet Security Structureon April 16, 2021 at 8:02 am
The new officials in charge of securing the nation's cyber infrastructure take their posts in the aftermath of a GAO report that called for an overhaul of the faulty cybersecurity policies of the past ...
- Internet security: Best-Rated Cyber Security / Web Security Suite to Protect Against All Online Threatson April 10, 2021 at 6:11 am
Apr 10, 2021 (Market Insight Reports) -- Internet security is security related to the internet and computer systems. Internet is an insecure platform for exchanging data that is highly susceptible ...
- Global Internet Security Audit Market Size, Share, Value, and Competitive Landscape 2024on April 10, 2021 at 3:07 am
The MarketWatch News Department was not involved in the creation of this content. Apr 10, 2021 (Heraldkeepers) -- Global Internet Security Audit Market Overview: Global Internet Security Audit Market ...
- Get 2 years of Webroot internet security and antivirus for $50 at Amazonon April 9, 2021 at 5:00 pm
Amazon is running a terrific deal for one day only on Friday that slashes the price of Webroot Internet Security Plus with Antivirus Protection Software to just $49.99. That’s a 2-year ...
- The best antivirus software 2021on April 9, 2021 at 6:25 am
Sometimes it feels heartening to know that antivirus providers are out there fighting the good fight - constantly updating their internet security software packages to protect against ever ...
- RiskIQ Announces its Illuminate® Internet Intelligence Platform Delivering Tailored Security ...on April 8, 2021 at 6:02 am
SAN FRANCISCO, April 08, 2021 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- RiskIQ, a leader in Internet Security Intelligence, announced the launch of its RiskIQ Illuminate® Internet Intelligence Platform, the only security ...
- RiskIQ Announces its Illuminate® Internet Intelligence Platform Delivering Tailored Security Intelligence by Lighting Up Internet Relationshipson April 8, 2021 at 5:59 am
SAN FRANCISCO, April 08, 2021 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- RiskIQ, a leader in Internet Security Intelligence, announced the launch of its RiskIQ Illuminate® Internet Intelligence Platform, the only ...
- Intego Mac Internet Security X9 reviewon April 7, 2021 at 4:31 pm
Intego Mac Internet Security X9 offers a couple of standout features and has unbelievably fast malware scans and remarkable legacy support going all the way back to macOS 10.9. This is coupled ...
- Finnish public urged to boost domestic and business internet securityon April 7, 2021 at 4:21 am
The Finnish security and intelligence service (Suojelupoliisi: SUPO) made a rare appeal to the public to bolster cyber-security efforts on 10 March. The organisation had noted an increase in cyber ...
The Latest Google Headlines on: