Everyone can see the resulting data and download it, including scientists
A wealth of extra free genetic data could be at scientists’ fingertips if a new website allowing the public to make their test results available gets enough traction.
OpenSNP provides a way for people who have had tests carried out by direct-to-consumer genetic testing companies – so far 23andMe, deCODEme and Family Tree DNA are supported – to upload their raw results online along with personal characteristics they wish to share from their eye colour to artistic ability to coffee consumption. Everyone can see the resulting data and download it, including scientists.
The non-profit hobby project, developed by three master’s degree students and a web developer, has just won first place – worth $10,001 – in the inaugural API Binary Battle, a competition funded by the paper sharing site Mendeley and the open access publishers Public Library of Science (PLoS) to build applications to make science more open while tapping into either or both platforms.
Bastian Greshake, studying for his master’s degree in ecology and evolution at Goethe University, Frankfurt, first had the idea for openSNP after he got himself genotyped this May. It provides a central repository for people who are willing to publicly share the powerful combination of both their genetic and phenotypic information, potentially enabling scientists to discover new genetic associations in the future, he explains.
While the companies already supply consenting customers’ genetic data for scientific research, and there are websites where people can upload their own, this is the first which includes phenotypic information too.
Thus far about 50 users have added their data to the website, which launched at the end of September. Greshake anticipates that at around 1000 data sets it will begin being useful for scientific study (though the information is entered on trust and data are unchecked).
Some scientists have already been in contact. “They thought it was a great idea and wanted to know how they can request our users provide extra phenotypic information,” he says.
Other than a rosy glow, the incentive for those willing to share their data are updates on the latest genetics research published in PLoS journals along with recommendations from Mendeley, of which summaries are also provided: great if you are interested in learning more about the genetic variations you are carrying.
The Latest on: Crowdsourcing
via Google News
The Latest on: Crowdsourcing
- Making the most of crowdsourcing campaignson May 19, 2022 at 11:43 am
In a new study, an international team of researchers explored how crowdsourcing projects can make the most effective use of volunteer contributions.
- New research sheds light on how to make the most of crowdsourcing campaignson May 19, 2022 at 11:28 am
In recent years, crowdsourcing, which involves recruiting members of the public to help collect data, has been tremendously helpful to provide researchers with unique and rich datasets, while also ...
- Crowdsourcing Picks for WWE and AEW's Best-Kept Secretson May 19, 2022 at 5:00 am
Welcome to the Bleacher Report pro wrestling mailbag. The B/R community has always been outspoken, especially when it comes to opinions on professional wrestling and its biggest ...
- NASA Selects 13 Vendors for $175M Open Innovation Services 2 Contract via On-Ramp Processon May 19, 2022 at 2:53 am
NASA has announced 13 additional awardees selected through an on-ramp process for the second iteration of the Open Innovation Services contract vehicle. The NOIS2 program is a multiple-award contract ...
- Texas mom creates crowdsourcing map to help parents find baby formula during shortageon May 18, 2022 at 3:58 pm
The nationwide baby formula shortage has some parents desperately searching stores. Now, one Texas mom is using crowdsourcing to help parents find the formula they nee ...
- Hugs, the Web 3.0 Crowdsourcing Platform, Kicks Off First Private Sale Roundon May 18, 2022 at 5:33 am
Hugs, the Solana-based platform enabling bi-directional crowdsourcing and self-sovereign reputation, has started the Private Sale of the $HUGS token after obtaining approval from the ...
- In A Post-Covid Workforce, Referrals Are Making A Major Comeback In The Hiring Processon May 18, 2022 at 5:04 am
Referrals And Word of Mouth Networking is How People Get Hired; Businesses Turning to Crowdsourcing Technology to Find Reliable ReferralsSANTA MONICA, CA ...
- Houston mom creates crowdsourcing map to help parents find baby formula amid shortage. Here’s how it workson May 17, 2022 at 8:24 pm
A Houston mom is helping parents find baby formula during a nationwide shortage. Marcela Young has a busy household. “I have an 8-month-old at home,” she said. “I’m a working mom and my husband is ...
- With Baby Formula Shortage Expected To Last Into The Summer, Crowdsourcing And Gemachs Emerge As Solutionson May 17, 2022 at 4:22 pm
Everyone is frantic, because this isn’t like hand sanitizer where you can just use a different brand, said Bernstein.
- Russian troops in Ukraine resort to crowdsourcing equipment as soldiers ask parents to pay for body armouron May 16, 2022 at 2:01 am
Evidence is growing that poor morale, fuelled by factors such as shoddy or non-existent equipment, is one of the factors hobbling Vladimir Putin's attempted invasion of Ukraine ...
via Bing News