Everyone can see the resulting data and download it, including scientists
A wealth of extra free genetic data could be at scientists’ fingertips if a new website allowing the public to make their test results available gets enough traction.
OpenSNP provides a way for people who have had tests carried out by direct-to-consumer genetic testing companies – so far 23andMe, deCODEme and Family Tree DNA are supported – to upload their raw results online along with personal characteristics they wish to share from their eye colour to artistic ability to coffee consumption. Everyone can see the resulting data and download it, including scientists.
The non-profit hobby project, developed by three master’s degree students and a web developer, has just won first place – worth $10,001 – in the inaugural API Binary Battle, a competition funded by the paper sharing site Mendeley and the open access publishers Public Library of Science (PLoS) to build applications to make science more open while tapping into either or both platforms.
Bastian Greshake, studying for his master’s degree in ecology and evolution at Goethe University, Frankfurt, first had the idea for openSNP after he got himself genotyped this May. It provides a central repository for people who are willing to publicly share the powerful combination of both their genetic and phenotypic information, potentially enabling scientists to discover new genetic associations in the future, he explains.
While the companies already supply consenting customers’ genetic data for scientific research, and there are websites where people can upload their own, this is the first which includes phenotypic information too.
Thus far about 50 users have added their data to the website, which launched at the end of September. Greshake anticipates that at around 1000 data sets it will begin being useful for scientific study (though the information is entered on trust and data are unchecked).
Some scientists have already been in contact. “They thought it was a great idea and wanted to know how they can request our users provide extra phenotypic information,” he says.
Other than a rosy glow, the incentive for those willing to share their data are updates on the latest genetics research published in PLoS journals along with recommendations from Mendeley, of which summaries are also provided: great if you are interested in learning more about the genetic variations you are carrying.
The Latest on: Crowdsourcing
via Google News
The Latest on: Crowdsourcing
- Crowdsourcing is being used to help buy up parcels of land in Floridaon January 26, 2022 at 6:00 am
As state officials focus on buying massive areas of undeveloped land, crowdsourcing efforts are being used across the region and state to try and preserve smaller pieces of nature.
- DrivenData, HeroX Tap Innovators to Create Solution for Airport Configuration Predictionson January 25, 2022 at 5:41 am
DrivenData and HeroX today announced the crowdsourcing competition, "Runway Functions: Predict Reconfigurations at US Airports." The challenge seeks innovative methods for streamlining air travel, ...
- Crowdsourcing Platforms Market May See Big Move : Innocentive, Idea Bounty, Cad Crowdon January 24, 2022 at 2:06 pm
This press release was orginally distributed by SBWireEdison, NJ -- (SBWIRE) -- 01/24/2022 -- Latest Study on Industrial Growth of Global Crowdsourcing ...
- HOW CROWDSOURCING CAN HELP HEALTHCARE - Continuedon January 23, 2022 at 2:39 pm
I wanted to go back to the crowdsourcing idea in healthcare and shed some more insight on the idea. HOW CROWDSOURCING CAN HELP HEALTHCARE A giant raffle was organized by country fair organizers in ...
- Clinical Research Crowdsourcing - Open Collaboration to Foster Innovations in Clinical Researchon January 23, 2022 at 1:04 am
Open collaboration has helped to foster innovation in multiple industries. Big pharma has been known for being conservative and slow to adapt over the years.
- Ketto Testing Waters for Web3 native healthcare ecosystem; crowdsourcing ideas to develop a tokenized communityon January 21, 2022 at 2:09 am
Ketto is determined to revolutionize the healthcare ecosystem therefore the company is crowdsourcing ideas to create a detailed workable plan for token develop ...
- Crowdsourcing Software Market, Indutry Analysis and Prospect, Market Players : Planview (Spigit), Qmarkets, Sopheon – 2022 – 2027on January 19, 2022 at 3:59 pm
Jan 20, 2022 (Heraldkeepers) -- The "Crowdsourcing Software" Market report provides a detailed analysis of global market size, regional and country-level market size, segmentation market growth ...
- Driven Data, HeroX Launch Crowdsourcing Challenge to Improve Air Quality Data to Enhance Public Health Applicationson January 18, 2022 at 5:36 am
DrivenData and HeroX today launched the NASA Air-athon to improve air quality estimates so people can make informed decisions about their exposure to ...
- HeroX Crowdsources to Find Innovative Waste Management Solutions for Future Human Mars Missionson January 18, 2022 at 4:44 am
HeroX, a leading platform and open marketplace for crowdsourced solutions, today launched the crowdsourcing competition, "Waste to Base Materials Challenge: Sustainable Reprocessing in Space".
via Bing News