Everyone can see the resulting data and download it, including scientists
A wealth of extra free genetic data could be at scientists’ fingertips if a new website allowing the public to make their test results available gets enough traction.
OpenSNP provides a way for people who have had tests carried out by direct-to-consumer genetic testing companies – so far 23andMe, deCODEme and Family Tree DNA are supported – to upload their raw results online along with personal characteristics they wish to share from their eye colour to artistic ability to coffee consumption. Everyone can see the resulting data and download it, including scientists.
The non-profit hobby project, developed by three master’s degree students and a web developer, has just won first place – worth $10,001 – in the inaugural API Binary Battle, a competition funded by the paper sharing site Mendeley and the open access publishers Public Library of Science (PLoS) to build applications to make science more open while tapping into either or both platforms.
Bastian Greshake, studying for his master’s degree in ecology and evolution at Goethe University, Frankfurt, first had the idea for openSNP after he got himself genotyped this May. It provides a central repository for people who are willing to publicly share the powerful combination of both their genetic and phenotypic information, potentially enabling scientists to discover new genetic associations in the future, he explains.
While the companies already supply consenting customers’ genetic data for scientific research, and there are websites where people can upload their own, this is the first which includes phenotypic information too.
Thus far about 50 users have added their data to the website, which launched at the end of September. Greshake anticipates that at around 1000 data sets it will begin being useful for scientific study (though the information is entered on trust and data are unchecked).
Some scientists have already been in contact. “They thought it was a great idea and wanted to know how they can request our users provide extra phenotypic information,” he says.
Other than a rosy glow, the incentive for those willing to share their data are updates on the latest genetics research published in PLoS journals along with recommendations from Mendeley, of which summaries are also provided: great if you are interested in learning more about the genetic variations you are carrying.
The Latest on: Crowdsourcing
via Google News
The Latest on: Crowdsourcing
- Crowdsourcing key to tracking global crises from Ukraine to climate changeon September 21, 2022 at 4:00 am
The next player in documenting global crises is you. Driving the news: Crowdsourced research and open technology are making it easier for citizen-scientists and activists to track the effects of ...
- realme Crowdsourcing Ideas For Its Own Dynamic Islandon September 20, 2022 at 9:53 pm
The cutout on the display has for some reason become the norm when it comes to front-facing cameras on phones.
- Realme Crowdsourcing Ideas for Copying Apple's Dynamic Islandon September 20, 2022 at 7:52 am
Chinese smartphone maker realme is asking its "loyal fans" for ideas on how to copy Apple's Dynamic Island from the iPhone 14 Pro ...
- How VistaJet’s Thomas Flohr Is Conquering The Global Private Jet Marketon September 18, 2022 at 2:49 pm
Vista Global Chairman and Founder Thomas Flohr has gone from a consumer of private aviation to challenging market leader NetJets. Here's how he did it, and here's what's next.
- Ukrainians Try Crowdsourcing to Catch Russian War Criminalson September 18, 2022 at 8:44 am
A new website serves as a database and a fundraising center for bounties. It’s so crazy, it might work.
- Eskom turns to crowdsourcing in effort to find skilled personnelon September 16, 2022 at 10:00 pm
Eskom will soon launch a crowdsourcing digital platform to create a skills database to resolve its urgent business needs.
- Eskom invites experts to join skills crowdsourcing platformon September 16, 2022 at 6:57 am
State-owned power utility Eskom is developing a crowdsourcing digital platform to allow it to supplement its existing skills base to help address its operational challenges. It has invited ...
- Eskom turns to crowdsourcing technology to plug skills deficiton September 16, 2022 at 4:52 am
Eskom plans to launch a crowdsourcing digital platform in an effort to attract skills it urgently needs, including technical and engineering talent.
- Crowdsourcing for conservation: Southeast Alaska residents can now donate to a nonprofit’s efforts to conserve landon September 14, 2022 at 7:25 pm
Residents across Southeast Alaska are now able to donate to a nonprofit’s efforts to conserve land More land conservation could be on the way for Southeast Alaska. Southeast Alaska Land Trust ...
- Crowdsourcing Software Market landscape, Top Competitor Analysis, Revenue, Sales With Forecast Data from 2022 to 2028on September 7, 2022 at 9:30 pm
The " Crowdsourcing Software market " (2022 to 2028) is expected to develop at a fast pace, according to the latest document. For the forecast period from year to year, the paper proposes a ...
via Bing News