At first glance, a diagram of the complex network of genes that regulate cellular metabolism might seem hopelessly complex, and efforts to control such a system futile.
However, an MIT researcher has come up with a new computational model that can analyze any type of complex network — biological, social or electronic — and reveal the critical points that can be used to control the entire system.
Potential applications of this work, which appears as the cover story in the May 12 issue of Nature, include reprogramming adult cells and identifying new drug targets, says study author Jean-Jacques Slotine, an MIT professor of mechanical engineering and brain and cognitive sciences.
Slotine and his co-authors applied their model to dozens of real-life networks, including cell-phone networks, social networks, the networks that control gene expression in cells and the neuronal network of the C. elegans worm. For each, they calculated the percentage of points that need to be controlled in order to gain control of the entire system.
For sparse networks such as gene regulatory networks, they found the number is high, around 80 percent. For dense networks — such as neuronal networks — it’s more like 10 percent.
Control theory — the study of how to govern the behavior of dynamic systems — has guided the development of airplanes, robots, cars and electronics. The principles of control theory allow engineers to design feedback loops that monitor input and output of a system and adjust accordingly. One example is the cruise control system in a car.
The Latest Bing News on:
Analyzing complex networks
- Driving Positive Change in Organizational Diversity: Introducing The BoardEx Diversity Networkon January 26, 2021 at 6:53 am
BoardEx has empowered organizations to identify connections, leadership talent and trends for more than 20 years. The latest evolution of the product introduces The BoardEx Diversity Network, ...
- Global Complex Event Processing Market 2020 Growth, COVID Impact, Trends Analysis Report 2026on January 24, 2021 at 6:19 pm
Complex event processing market is growing at a significant rate. Complex event processing is an event that combines ...
- RootMetrics: Verizon has the best wireless network...againon January 24, 2021 at 4:00 pm
In the latest RootMetrics’ 2H 2020 US State of the Mobile Union report, released today, Verizon’s network was awarded best overall and unbeaten in all seven award categories, including overall network ...
- Tom Brokaw To Retire From NBC News After 55 Years With The Networkon January 22, 2021 at 11:08 pm
Tom Brokaw will retire from NBC News after 55 years with the network. He made the announcement in a statement on Friday. “During one of the most complex and consequential eras in American ...
- Fengdi Guo awarded first place in LTTP Data Analysis Student Conteston January 21, 2021 at 12:44 pm
In a prize-winning paper, Fengdi Guo, a PhD candidate at the MIT Concrete Sustainability Hub, helps clarify the layered relationship between traffic weight and pavement deterioration.
- Network Emulator Market – Detailed Analysis of Current Industry Figures with Forecasts Growth By 2026on January 19, 2021 at 11:12 pm
Selbyville, Delaware the newly Added research report at Market Study Report titled "2020-2026 Global Network Emulator Market Report" provides data, information, brief analysis, company profiles, ...
- Noction Releases a New Version of Its Free Network Performance Optimization Software - IRP Lite 3.2, Packed With New and Exciting Featureson January 19, 2021 at 10:07 pm
Noction Inc., a leading developer of cutting edge network automation and traffic visibility software, has released a new version of the free BGP routing optimization platform, IRP Lite 3.2. What is ...
- An Economic Analysis Of Ethereumon January 19, 2021 at 1:35 pm
Ethereum is the second major blockchain with a network effect, but unlike Bitcoin, its base layer remains in significant development. The price could indeed do very well this year (I have no strong ...
- How One CEO Uses GPU Technology To Analyze More Data, Fasteron January 19, 2021 at 7:21 am
The legacy systems many organizations currently have in place simply aren’t able to handle today’s massive workloads.
- New Configure Price and Quote (CPQ) Software Market Research Report- COVID-19 Analysis Based on On-premise and Cloud-based Deployment | Technavioon January 19, 2021 at 5:27 am
The new configure price and quote (CPQ) software market research from Technavio indicates positive growth in the short term as the business impact of COVID-19 spreads. Get detailed insights on the ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
Analyzing complex networks
The Latest Bing News on:
- WandaVision Theory: Scarlet Witch Isn’t in Danger, But Vision Definitely Ison January 26, 2021 at 9:49 am
While Wanda initially seemed to be another victim in Westview, it's possible she's part of the problem, putting Vision in danger.
- ‘Quality control’ system problems may explain food allergieson January 26, 2021 at 8:34 am
Researchers have a new theory about the cause of and rise in food allergies. They say it involves the body's natural food quality control system.
- Tucker Carlson defended QAnon, and said that attacks on it are part of a government plot to control people's mindson January 26, 2021 at 4:34 am
Amid a Biden administration crackdown on domestic extremism, Carlson warned of politicians attempting to "control what you believe." ...
- WandaVision Theory: Wanda Is in Complete Control of the Neighborson January 24, 2021 at 7:50 am
While it's still a mystery who's created the fantasy of WandaVision, it seems Wanda is at least controlling its cast of characters.
- Global Advanced Process Control (APC) Market Size Report Includes Emerging Technologies, Regional Trends, Competitive Background 2021 to 2025on January 21, 2021 at 1:35 am
Final Report will add the analysis of the impact of COVID-19 on this industry." “Advanced Process Control (APC) ...
- Infinite Dimensional Optimization and Control Theoryon December 16, 2020 at 8:34 pm
The optimal control problems include control constraints, state constraints and target conditions. Fattorini studies evolution partial differential equations using semigroup theory, abstract ...
- Linear Operators and Linear Systemson December 11, 2020 at 8:50 pm
This volume presents an introduction to the common ground between operator theory and linear systems theory. Pure mathematical topics are included such as Hardy spaces, closed operators, the gap ...
- Financial Mathematics and Control Theory Researchon August 15, 2020 at 4:00 am
The part of financial mathematics that is concerned with the valuation of investment decision strategies overlaps with the theory of control and optimisation, which is a traditional branch of ...
- control theoryon February 24, 2020 at 11:32 pm
The three categories are adaptive control, predictive control, PID and model-based control. See PID. THIS DEFINITION IS FOR PERSONAL USE ONLY. All other reproduction requires permission.
- Illegal Drugs and Their Control: Theory, Policy and Practiceon July 8, 2019 at 12:26 pm
This course is available on the LLM (extended part-time), LLM (full-time), MSc in Criminal Justice Policy, MSc in International Social and Public Policy, MSc in International Social and Public Policy ...