Someone has apparently crunched the numbers and estimated that more than 100 million birds are killed every year due to collisions with glass surfaces – not to mention the untold numbers of beverages spilt by surprised people as a bird slams into a nearby window.
Birds see the tree or sky reflected in a window or the environment behind the glazing, but not the glass itself. German company Glaswerke Arnold (or Arnold Glass) has come up with a simple way to prevent these collisions by producing a glass that appears normal to humans but is visible to birds.
Working on the principle that birds possess the ability to see light in the ultraviolet spectrum, the company’s Ornilux Bird-Protection Glass borrows a trick from orb-web spiders that protect their laboriously woven webs from birds flying through them with a special UV-reflecting silk. Recognizing this, the company developed the glass with a patterned UV reflective coating that makes it visible to birds while maintaining transparency to the human eye.
The Latest Bing News on:
- France bans glue-trapping of songbirds after five-year court caseon June 29, 2021 at 10:56 am
The tradition of hunting songbirds with glue traps, which bird protection groups have long deemed barbaric, is now illegal in France after the country's highest appeals court ruled that exemptions ...
- Hats off to the women behind the feather banon June 29, 2021 at 10:00 am
A director of the British Natural History Museum, Sir Ray Lankester, once hid down a stairwell rather than have to face Etta about some bird protection ... and a magnifying glass, they were ...
- Disturbing Questions About Our Government and the So-Called 'War on Drugs' - [PART 2 of 3]on May 14, 2021 at 4:59 pm
The same U.S. government whose CIA has been responsible for turning Afghanistan into the world's leading supplier of heroin and marijuana, spent $12 million to go after glass pipes (bongs). In ...
- How Mrs. Edge Saved the Birdson March 22, 2021 at 4:01 pm
Hats were decorated with not only individual feathers but the stuffed remains of entire birds, complete with beaks, feet and glass eyes ... to help revive the bird-protection movement named ...
- PROGRAM／SUMMARIESon September 10, 2018 at 1:24 pm
18:10～18:25 Special Lecture "Creating a Society that Benefits from 'Genuine Wealth'”概要を見る AGC established The Asahi Glass Foundation ... Special Lecture "Bird Protection Activities ...
- Birdwatchers mobilise for autumn migrationon October 2, 2011 at 11:43 pm
Fritz Hirt is leading this weekend’s operation for BirdLife Switzerland, which comprises 61,000 members and 450 local bird protection groups ... Maloja Pass, Glass Pass and Lenzerheide.
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
Making windows visible to birds
- Head to Croatia’s hinterland to discover its nature parkson July 1, 2021 at 7:53 am
Discover limestone peaks, woodland paths, rumbling waterfalls, lush marshlands, and opportunities for hiking, forest bathing, and bird watching.
- Birds of paradise reveal a dark secreton June 30, 2021 at 6:23 am
Cody McCoy was an undergraduate at Yale University, Connecticut, discussing potential projects with the lecturer in her ornithology class, Rick Prum, when the pair walked to the Peabody Museum of ...
- Create A Wildlife-Friendly Yard Today With These Easy Tipson June 29, 2021 at 5:00 am
Whether your property has a modest piece of land or spans vast acres, there are easy ways for it to make a positive difference in the lives of wildlife. Dara Reid, the director/founder of Wildlife in ...
- Angry Birds 2 is now available on Huawei’s AppGalleryon June 28, 2021 at 4:23 am
Angry Birds is undoubtedly one of the most popular mobile games of all time, and the game now seems to be flying into Huawei’s AppGallery.
- Windows 11 brings macOS Mission Control to the PCon June 24, 2021 at 8:34 am
Well, we weren’t expecting huge upgrades in the latest Windows 11. However, we have found a couple of new features that make this seem like a copy of another popular OS. For example, you can now enjoy ...
- Solved! What to Do When a Bird Hits Your Windowon June 24, 2021 at 6:37 am
Q: My wife and I have windows and sliding glass doors off our deck and have had more than one instance in which ...
- Making buildings bird friendly: New measures at Toronto’s TD Centre aim to reduce bird-building collisionson June 16, 2021 at 4:03 am
Michael Mesure, executive director of FLAP Canada, a charity that advocates on bird-building collisions, said the complex has windows that ... which can create an illusion of welcoming sky or ...
- How to get started bird watchingon June 13, 2021 at 7:01 pm
Duchense said to start by identifying one bird each time you go out. “Listen for what’s making noise ... look to see if the bird is showing any visible signs of discomfort.
- ‘We can save birds simply by turning off lights’on June 12, 2021 at 11:25 pm
Turning off building lights at night can save migrating birds ... windows of this building. I was curious. I thought to myself: I work in the museum and things are dying out there, so why not make ...
- Baltimore’s National Aquarium will make its iconic glass pyramid bird safeon June 7, 2021 at 8:07 am
Because the panes are safety glass, he said, the shattered windows ... To make the aquarium’s glass bird-safe, the fabricator will acid-etch a frit pattern that will be visible to birds but ...