Someone has apparently crunched the numbers and estimated that more than 100 million birds are killed every year due to collisions with glass surfaces – not to mention the untold numbers of beverages spilt by surprised people as a bird slams into a nearby window.
Birds see the tree or sky reflected in a window or the environment behind the glazing, but not the glass itself. German company Glaswerke Arnold (or Arnold Glass) has come up with a simple way to prevent these collisions by producing a glass that appears normal to humans but is visible to birds.
Working on the principle that birds possess the ability to see light in the ultraviolet spectrum, the company’s Ornilux Bird-Protection Glass borrows a trick from orb-web spiders that protect their laboriously woven webs from birds flying through them with a special UV-reflecting silk. Recognizing this, the company developed the glass with a patterned UV reflective coating that makes it visible to birds while maintaining transparency to the human eye.
The Latest Bing News on:
- In praise of the mockingbird: There’s no room for debateon October 11, 2021 at 11:00 am
The mockingbird is a well-established, independent, prolific bird that has never needed government protection or our tax dollars to survive.
- NYC falcons take flight: Rare raptors are rescued and releasedon October 10, 2021 at 5:30 am
This is the story of Fabio, one of 25 of her species to hatch and be banded this year in New York City, home to the largest urban population of endangered peregrine falcons in the world.
- Why was this Connecticut woman sobbing at the Berkshire Botanical Garden?on October 10, 2021 at 3:00 am
First-grade teacher Kathy-Ann Campbell was looking for a sign from her late father. “A sign that he was OK,” she explained, “that he could hear me, that he hadn’t left ...
- Hamilton needs to put more bird-friendly measures in placeon October 7, 2021 at 3:20 pm
Unnecessary nocturnal lighting is one reason but reflective glass also causes daytime ... an organization that advocates for the protection of migratory birds. Our team proposed a Lights Out ...
- Greater Manchester High Sheriff visits Rochdale to check out moorland protection measureson October 7, 2021 at 3:57 am
The High Sheriff of Greater Manchester, Diane Hawkins, visited Rooley Moor on Friday (1 October) to look at the ...
- Lebanon receives ‘Little Bird' heloson October 6, 2021 at 10:50 am
Six MD 530 Little Bird helicopters delivered to Lebanon aboard ... As previously disclosed, Lebanon's helicopters are fitted with a full ‘glass' cockpit and a four-station weapons plank.
- Outdoors: Prepare the feeders because winter birds are comingon October 1, 2021 at 1:57 pm
For my own entertainment and to connect my grandchildren with the beauty and excitement in nature, I buy up to 500 pounds of sunflower hearts a year. Sunflower hearts sell for about $60 for a 50-pound ...
- US to resume enforcement of unlawful bird deaths by industryon September 29, 2021 at 10:31 am
In crafting the regulations, Ford said officials would look at a wide range of causes — from collisions with glass buildings, power lines and vehicles, to chemical poisonings and birds killed in ...
- U.S. to resume enforcement of unlawful bird deaths by industryon September 29, 2021 at 10:13 am
The Biden administration is drafting rules to govern the killing of wild birds by industry and will resume enforcement actions against companies responsible for preventable deaths.
- Our cheeky pet cockatoo morphed into a little dictator. Then the war beganon September 28, 2021 at 7:36 pm
I felt like Tippi Hedren in Hitchcock’s The Birds Vote now in the Guardian/BirdLife ... He tapped on the glass panes of the front door, yelling “MUM”. He stared in at us through windows ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
Making windows visible to birds
- How to help birds avoid crashing into your windowson October 8, 2021 at 2:38 pm
Brightly lit buildings can disorient and exhaust them, making it more ... These barriers are visible to birds, but still let the light in. You may have seen large glass windows with stickers ...
- How artificial light, other ‘by-products’ of rapid urbanisation threaten birdson October 8, 2021 at 6:08 am
A 2017 study observed that changes in the behaviour of nocturnally migrating birds in response to light stimuli disappeared immediately after lights were switched off.
- Migrating birds severely hurt after glass collisions; enthusiasts renew calls for safetyon October 7, 2021 at 3:05 pm
Still, experts say the problem is solvable — the solutions, easy — and could save a billion birds every year that die from striking windows in North America. Veterinarian Miranda Torkelson is ...
- Avian lovers committed to making Asheville bird-friendlyon October 7, 2021 at 6:01 am
BIRD BRAINS: Paulina Jones, left, and Sarah Branagan are committed to ending bird strikes on the UNC Asheville campus and beyond. Photo by Jessica Wakeman On an upper floor of Zeis Hall on the UNC ...
- Western ramps up effort to prevent deadly bird crasheson October 5, 2021 at 2:17 pm
Three more locations on campus are being retrofitted with bird-friendly window films as Western continues to pursue protective measures for local wildlife. Large sections of exterior windows on ...
- The Ghost Birdson October 3, 2021 at 4:59 pm
My daughter had never set foot inside an old-fashioned brick-and-mortar school, and seemed more intrigued by the idea of seeing a chalkboard than by the birds ... was visible through the windows ...
- See where birds are migrating in real time, in one mapon September 28, 2021 at 1:53 pm
These tools are also a boon for birds. Hundreds of millions of them die each year from colliding with windows ... could use that information to make flying safer and less costly.
- 6 Reasons to Love Architectural Glasson September 28, 2021 at 11:43 am
Among structural materials, glass is worthy of our admiration, with many properties that make it uniquely suited to enhance the beauty, design and performance of buildings. It benefits people; it ...
- National Park City: How do we make our homes and cities safer for birds?on September 27, 2021 at 5:00 pm
Figuring out how to make our homes and ... The decals are bird or leaf-shaped stickers for the outside of windows, and while they are barely visible to humans, they have a component in them ...