A wind turbine that uses boundary layers instead of blades to generate power has been patented by Solar Aero, a New Hampshire based not-for-profit scientific research organization.
Modeled on the 1913 Tesla steam turbine, the Fuller turbine is virtually silent and completely enclosed, which avoids many of the drawbacks of bladed turbines such as noise, radar interference, visual pollution and wildlife injuries.
Solar Aero’s Howard Fuller says the principal of operation is roughly the same as for the Tesla steam turbine.
“Closely-spaced discs trap the motive fluid molecules (in this case air) in a laminar flow adjacent to the disc surface. This provides aerodynamic drag, which imparts force to the disc surface. By using multiple discs, the turbine then provides considerable torque to accelerate the rotation of the central driveshaft, which is directly coupled to an alternator, typically located at the base of a tower, or alternatively co-located on a rooftop.”
The turbine is likely to have a cut-in speed of about 3.5 knots and optimum speed is about 20 knots and near transparency to radar microwave transmissions can be achieved with proper construction materials and techniques.
The Latest on: Bladeless wind turbine
via Google News
The Latest on: Bladeless wind turbine
- Innovative headphone designs that let you zone out and immerse yourself in your musical experience!on January 19, 2021 at 7:40 pm
The upper headband swivels forward to cover the face and features the iconic bladeless-fan-style form that helps route ... concept looks and feels like it’s just bursting with positive energy. The ...
- New Part Day: This $10 Rocking Single Board Computer Does Everything You Wanton January 19, 2021 at 4:00 pm
Single board computers are great, but what we really need are cheap single board computers. Running Linux on anything isn’t as good as running Linux on everything, and all that. To that end ...
- Wood-Turning A Bladeless Fanon January 18, 2021 at 4:00 pm
It’s a simple enough premise: to make a Dyson-style bladeless fan out of wood. The execution of the finished fan, done and filmed by [Neil] from Pask Makes on YouTube, is however spectacular.
- 11 Best Evaporative Coolers: Compare, Buy & Saveon January 13, 2021 at 3:45 pm
This is the 43″ tower fan evaporative cooler from COMFYHOME that doubles as an energy-efficient air conditioning ... cooler is that it is completely bladeless so it is safe for homes with ...
- Finding space for both wind farms and eagles in SAon January 8, 2021 at 3:00 pm
Energy generation around the world is shifting towards renewable sources in response to the climate emergency. The aim is that future energy will be clean, green and sustainable. Many developing ...
- Increasing Backing by Governments and Regulatory Bodies to Push Growth of Offshore Wind Turbines Market and Help Reach ~US$120on December 8, 2020 at 5:39 am
Before it's here, it's on the Bloomberg Terminal.
- New Wind Turbine Generates Electricity Without Rotating Bladeson August 15, 2020 at 12:18 am
A Spanish company called Vortex Bladeless has produced a wind turbine that takes advantage of the vortices produced when wind moves around an obstacle. If you put any object in the path of ...
- Best pedestal fan in Australia 2021on February 7, 2020 at 12:08 pm
The most popular bladeless tower fan is from Dyson ... This option is both whisper quiet and energy efficient. The Dyson Cool tower fan has smooth oscillation, which you can control with the ...
- Wind energy converter inspired by ancient boatson January 16, 2020 at 12:56 pm
A bladeless wind energy convertor inspired by the sailing boats of Ancient Carthage is set to breeze past traditional turbines in terms of efficiency, according to its Tunisian developers.
- Heating, Cooling & Air Qualityon June 12, 2019 at 10:49 am
Please give an overall site rating: ...
via Bing News