Plans to boost food production in Britain and reduce its impact on the environment have been unveiled.
The government’s 20-year food strategy includes making land available for people to grow their own food and more healthy cooking courses.
The Tories said ministers “belatedly” recognised the need for food security after a decade of declining production.
Environment Secretary Mr Benn unveiled the government’s Food 2030 plan at the Oxford Farming Conference and said a rising population and climate change meant food could not be taken for granted.
The document includes proposals for a “healthy food code of conduct” to help people choose what food to buy – ideas include clearer labelling, smaller portions for “energy dense” or high salt foods, reducing fat and sugar in foods and nutrition information on restaurant menus.
The government also wants less food waste, more food bought in season to reduce environmental impact and to encourage people to buy sustainably-farmed food.
It says it will pilot healthy cooking classes for “at risk” families as part of efforts to tackle obesity and will help local landowners and community groups work together to make land available temporarily, to grow food.
The Latest on: Food security
via Google News
The Latest on: Food security
- U.S., global banks announce plan to moderate worldwide food security crisison May 18, 2022 at 12:54 pm
The U.S. Treasury Department along with several global development banks and other groups on Wednesday announced a multi-billion dollar plan to hopefully blunt a worldwide food security crisis ...
- Blinken Blames Russia For Accelerated Food Insecurity Amid Ukraine Invasionon May 18, 2022 at 12:51 pm
... experienced acute food security in 2021, up almost 40 million than the previous year. Another 40 million are projected to experience food insecurity by the end of this year. Like us on Facebook to ...
- 5 technologies that will help make the food system carbon neutralon May 18, 2022 at 12:46 pm
How to nutritiously feed the growing population, address climate change and not destroy the ecosystems on which we all depend for life.
- US, banks, unveil plan to ease food crisis from Russia’s waron May 18, 2022 at 11:49 am
The U.S., several global development banks and other groups unveiled a multi-billion dollar plan Wednesday meant to address a worldwide food security crisis exacerbated by Russia’s war in Ukraine. The ...
- Bilawal Meets Blinken Trying to Reset Ties With US; Unlike India Promises to Meet Help with Food Security Issueson May 18, 2022 at 11:22 am
Pakistan’s recently appointed Foreign Minister Bilawal Bhutto Zardari met his US counterpart Secretary of State Antony Blinken on May 18 here and discussed strengthening of economic ties and trade ...
- The Global Food Price Shockon May 18, 2022 at 11:19 am
Pandemic, war and death in Ukraine, and droughts in the last 2 years… Such a combination looks apocalyptical. Now it is adding global hunger risks, because of the food price crisis.
- Food shortages stemming from Ukraine war has world leaders scramblingon May 18, 2022 at 11:14 am
With U.S. record shortages and high prices, world leaders try to get essential commodities out of war-torn Ukraine.
- Canada US To Discuss Global Food Security Challengeson May 18, 2022 at 9:56 am
Mélanie Joly, minister of foreign affairs will be travelling to New York City, United States, from May 18 – 19, for meetings at the United Nations headquarters and with other foreign ministers to ...
- MoS Muraleedharan to participate in Ministerial on 'global food security' with US Secretary of State Blinkenon May 18, 2022 at 9:50 am
Union Minister of State for External Affairs V Muraleedharan will participate in a high level Ministerial Meeting on Global Food Security-Call to Action on We ...
- U.N. global climate report shows severe impact on food security as Earth heats upon May 18, 2022 at 6:45 am
Climate change continued to heat up the Earth in 2021 as concentrations of greenhouse gases increased, sea-ice mass shrank and ocean levels rose, according to a new report from the United Nations ...
via Bing News