A proposal that will make it easier for foreign entrepreneurs in the US to start the next Google or Yahoo will be debated in the new year.
Congressman Jared Polis has proposed a start-up visa to entice “foreigners with good ideas” to stay in the US.
The issue has been gathering steam in Silicon Valley where half of all tech company founders are immigrants, according to Duke University research.
The idea is part of a proposed overhaul of the US immigration system.
“Every day the American economy is losing ground – not to mention high-tech jobs and technologies – to India and China because foreign-born entrepreneurs cannot secure a visa to stay in the US,” he said.
Eric Diep, who has just turned 22, could be regarded as one entrepreneur who got away.
He came to Silicon Valley as a student like many immigrant founders who have helped start companies such as Google and PayPal.
Mr Diep was one of the first developers to get into social games with his application called Quizzes, initially launched on the social networking site Facebook.
Over a year ago he started to apply for a visa to allow him to carry on working in the Valley, but he soon encountered problems.
“The reason it was so difficult for me was because I dropped out of university and the stipulation for a lot of visas is undergraduate experience. My age also seemed to be an issue for the attorneys
“At the beginning it wasn’t the expense in terms of legal fees but the big problem soon became one of distraction. I was trying to spend as much time working on perfecting my product but then I would have to go away and figure out the legalities of applying for the visa,” Mr Diep told BBC News.
In the end, Mr Diep decided to base himself in his native Canada and travel back and forth to Silicon Valley.
“The flying is so tiring between the two places and it’s expensive. At one point, I had no money left in my bank account but at the last minute money came in and now I feel pretty fortunate that I can still do this.
“It was a pretty close call,” he added.
He backs a start-up visa because, for him, being in Silicon Valley is where he needs to be.
“Being there at the time really launched me. I would never have spotted the social gaming opportunity had I not been there.”
The Latest on: Foreign entrepreneurs in the US
via Google News
The Latest on: Foreign entrepreneurs in the US
- Starting a Company in the U.S. and Work Authorization Optionson October 15, 2021 at 6:01 am
Tips for foreign nationals and companies to set up legal entities in the U.S. for expanding their operations. The next natural step in the business plans of many foreign nationals and companies is to ...
- Prospective entrepreneurs urged not to rush into export marketon October 15, 2021 at 2:50 am
Prospective exporters have been urged not to rush into the export market without due diligence about regulatory requirements and the people with whom they will be doing business. They must also ensure ...
- IATF asked to include US, Canada in no-quarantine liston October 15, 2021 at 12:07 am
MANILA – Presidential Adviser for Entrepreneurship Joey Concepcion has welcomed the lifting of mandatory quarantine from “green” countries but is hoping that the Inter-Agency Task Force for the ...
- The Rise of Tech Unicorns in Developing Marketson October 14, 2021 at 6:49 pm
Silicon Valley has been the biggest hub of global innovation for over half a century. However remote working is expected to continue post Covid-19, and tech giants and young entrepreneurs alike are ...
- 5 Hispanic American founders open up about their careers, heritage and closing the wealth gap: 'There's a long, hard road to success'on October 14, 2021 at 1:38 pm
CNBC Make It spoke to 5 Hispanic entrepreneurs in the U.S. about the highs and lows of running their own business.
- Utrecht University: Start Thinking bigger about entrepreneurship in The Netherlandson October 12, 2021 at 9:27 pm
A culture of sharing and paying forward between experienced and first-time founders, learning from entrepreneurial experience and more female entrepreneurial role models could create a more ...
- The woman who will bring Mexican fashion to EXPO 2020 Dubaion October 12, 2021 at 6:48 am
"Everyone believes that the fashion industry is all glamor, and yes, in part it does, but that part lasts 10% of the time, the remaining 90% is pure talacha," said Brenda Jaet, director of Dubai ...
- Entrepreneur Decries Dependence On Foreign Solutions To Local Challengeson October 9, 2021 at 5:16 am
An entrepreneur, Engr. Chukwudi Dimkpa, has decried the over-dependence of Nigeria on foreign solutions to challenges facing the country. He, therefore, ...
- IER Program Offers A Real Solution For Immigrant Entrepreneurson October 8, 2021 at 5:00 am
The U.S. immigration system provides little to no work permit options for foreign entrepreneurs looking to build the next American unicorn. The IER is a step in the right direction, writes attorney ...
via Bing News