The announcement on 16 December by the board of the UK Payments Council that cheques are to be phased out by 2018 has heightened the need for secure replacement payment systems.
New security technology developed at Oxford University by Professor Bill Roscoe and his team that allows people to make payments via mobile phones, offers a solution.
The technology is designed to work in almost all situations: person to person, in a shop or restaurant, at a vending machine, online, or as part of a telephone conversation.
Isis Innovation, the University of Oxford’s technology transfer company, is working with Professor Roscoe to commercialise the technology.
‘A key requirement of new payment systems will be the ability to make payments from person to person, such as paying a builder or a friend,’ said Professor Roscoe of Oxford University’s Computing Laboratory.
‘What we have is technology which enables anyone to easily create a secure connection between two devices: it can work via Bluetooth, WiFi, the internet or across ordinary telephone or SMS connections.
‘The core of our technology is a new security protocol that enables strong cryptographic keys to be created with the least possible work. The key to the protocol is that it prevents anyone from doing any searching to break into the transaction.’
The Latest on: Secure communications
via Google News
The Latest on: Secure communications
- Palm Beach County School District police chief says communication is key to safe schoolson August 8, 2022 at 1:08 pm
"Having feedback and input from people that might think there is a vulnerability we didn't see is important. Communication is key to making sure we have the safest environments." ...
- How Secure Is the Ethereum Sitting in Your MetaMask Wallet?on August 8, 2022 at 1:06 pm
As Ethereum wallet MetaMask grows at a blazing rate, there are signs that its security team is struggling to keep up.
- Global Tactical Communication Market to Surpass $161 Billion by 2031 - ResearchAndMarkets.comon August 8, 2022 at 8:32 am
The "Global Tactical Communication Market to 2031 - Market Size, Share, Trends Analysis, Competitive Landscape and Strategic Insights" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering. The ...
- Tata Communications enhances InstaCC™ Platform with digital featureson August 8, 2022 at 2:38 am
Tata Communications, a global digital ecosystem enabler, today enhances its InstaCC™ platform with digital features to transform customer engagement of enterprises. It stitches a secure, connected ...
- The power of collaborative communication toolson August 5, 2022 at 9:00 pm
Collaboration suites can help businesses drive revenue growth by enabling them to upturn sales and proliferate their customer base ...
- CIS Secure Computing acquires intelligence community IT firmon August 4, 2022 at 9:20 pm
Protected communication and IT services provider CIS Secure Computing has completed an acquisition to expand its portfolio of technology products and services for defense and intelligence agencies.
- CIS Secure Adds IT Services Through Intrepid Acquisitionon August 4, 2022 at 3:24 am
CIS Secure Computing, a portfolio company of private equity firm HKW, has acquired Intrepid Solutions and Services in a move to expand technology products and service offerings for the U.S.
- Lumen will provide CBP with mission-critical communications supporton August 4, 2022 at 2:14 am
US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) has selected Lumen Technologies to provide mission-critical communications, Internet connectivity and network services that support the law enforcement agency’s ...
- Quantum entanglement makes quantum communication even more secureon July 27, 2022 at 8:11 am
Bell tests proved that quantum mechanics really is “spooky.” Now they’ve made quantum communication even more hacker-proof.
via Bing News